Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - Best place to hire???

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I'm pretty much convinced that I am going to buy myself a set of boots (first in 20 years skiing!!!) rather than hiring. I will still however, be hiring a set of skis and I am just wondering where would I find the best quality skis in Val Thorens?
Intersport or Ski Republic? or any others for that matter?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In our experience don't use ski republic.

We did get good service from Ski Technic based in the Hotel Mecure when ski republic let us down though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Is Ski Technic a big enough shop to cope with peak seson demand? We are staying NY at the Balcons, anyone have feedback about Rosael Sports or SkiSurf up at the top of the resort?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain Haddock, They weren't as big as ski republic, but sorted us out with 2 pair of brand new skis in the middle of December at the drop of a hat during an on spec visit and I guess they supply the hotel so they must keep some degree of stock. I kept their card and have dug it out why don't you email them and see if they could help you? Details:

Ski Technic, Hotel Mecure, 73440 Val Thorens, tel: 04 79 00 37 48 or 04 79 00 04 04

Email valthorensskitec@aol.com
web: www.mercurevalthorens.com

Also, I know that they did have connections with SH Kiwi1 who might be able to give you an opinion if you PM him. They had a nice ski service dept. too and seemed to have all the current brand new models on display when we saw them in Dec 2008. We got two pair of the new Rossignol S and X WC oversize when we went in - never been on the snow!!

I hope this helps

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 26-11-09 20:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what about http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/hire.html UK based company

They will deliver directly to your hotel in Val Thorens

No messing about at the hire shop
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jasongibson100, I guess the problem with a service like that is if you don't get decent skis delivered there is less you can do about it quickly than when you go to a hire shop. At least when you hire you get to see what you are about to pay for before you commit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aldoyle, I reckon the best ski shop in Val Thorens is Zenith. It's independent, the owner has been there 25 years and the head ski tech has been there 20 years. I've been going there for 10 years. They have a wide range of skis and have always provided excellent service eg you can take back your skis and try out new ones as often as you like. Both the owner and head ski tech are both excellent bootfitters too.

http://www.zenith-skishop.com/location.html

They seem to be doing 20% of online bookings. If you're up at the Balcons it's a 5 min walk into town to pick them up but worth the effort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The quality of the gear was excellent at Ski Technic based in the Hotel Mecure but it wasnt 'cheap'. I'd check on comparative prices before you commit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some good suggestions, cheers. im staying in Lac du Lou, so just across from Caron etc. so should be easy enough to get anywhere!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
does anyone have any experience of the skis from intersport in Val Thorens???
What I find strange is that the several intersport shops in VT all rent their skis out at different prices on their website. Presumably they are all using the same stuff?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski technic under hotel mercure do a mean deal on ski service....if I was renting I would go there....zenith are excellent for fitting boots but expensive, intersport price deal best over internet with pick up from most convinient store...but always buy their insurance as they get a bit tetchy if you return skis with more than moderate amount of "wear marks" on the bases!! (well, it was a "thin" year off piste that year!)
hope that helps!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowornever, would the skis from intersport be better than ski republic's and similiar to ski technic's??????
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aldoyle wrote:
snowornever, would the skis from intersport be better than ski republic's and similiar to ski technic's??????

I know my skiing wouldn't be good enough to tell the difference in rental kit between generic shop x and shop y - tends to be the same brands at similar prices. Even if you think the ski they've given you is a bit knackered then ask them for something a little less used. Sometimes shops have real 'beginner skis' or seasonaire skis that are pretty naff, but you can usually avoid them by going up from the cheapest price point. Differences tend to be store location, staff helpfulness/knowledge and possibly some stock lines for odd/unusual items.

If you don't pre-book you can walk around and find the shop, helpful staff and type/model of skis you are looking for at a convenient location. If you do pre-book you give up the flexibility for a reduced cost.

Your decision - although I would consider pre-booking if on a peak week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
In our experience don't use ski republic.

I would be interested in knowing your problem with Ski Republic? Was it Ski republic in general, or specifically the in Val T shop? The Kit, or the service? I used them in Les Arcs last year, and was planning to use again in Val T this year.
At Les Arc 1800 Villards Ski Republic shop, the assistants did not say much, but the kit was in good condition and set up properly. We did arrive at about 11:00 am on Sat though, and the shop was empty.
We were using their 'performance' pack. 2 sets of adult skis, and 2 sets of child's skis plus boots for 199Euro. They threw in helmets for free (I was expecting to pay).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Republic

Rent one - get one free. OUr group used it last year and the service was fine.

http://www.ski-republic.com/en/resort/ski-hire-and-rental-in-val-thorens
snow report
Doesn't it depend where your digs are? Ski Republic are at the top far end of VT. No point going there if you are staying in the Rue de Soleil at the opposite end of town as it would be a long walk carrying skis.
snow report
WayneC, ill walk anywhere for the best skis. its hardly a long way from one end of the resort to the other. im staying in lac du lou at top of retours lift
latest report
When we had booked Ski Rebulic, the shop in VT didn't have the ski's we had requested, they tried to palm us off with lesser quality skis. When we complained said that they couldn't fix things until the next day and even then we doubted that they would come up with the goods and we were strongly pressured to take the skis that we were being offered. I can't say for certain as I wasn't the one picking up the tab, but I got the impression that they weren't overly quick about dealing with a refund either. In our opinion they didn't deliver what their website promised. I don't think I would consider using them again.

In contrast Ski Technic were able to offer us the skis we had originally booked from Ski Republic, the kit was brand new (it was the start of the season I grant you, but the Ski Republic kit look half worn out and their season hadn't been running any longer), they threw in helmet hire FOC too, and were a great operation to deal with. As mentioned above they were a bit more expensive, but despite that I have no hesitation in recommending them, seems to me a case of getting what you pay for.
snow conditions
how do i book Ski Technic online?
ski holidays
If you use Snowbrainer, they use Goitchel ski who have 5 shops in the resort so you are sure to find the skis you want.
They also deal with Rosael in Val 2400 .
Lac du Lou is within 200m of 3 of their shops.
snow conditions
aldoyle, I don't know, but I posted their details above so it should be possible to contact them and maybe make a booking that way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy