Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which forecast website is best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Like everyone here, I regularly check the snow forecasts – in fact with about 2 ½ weeks until my first trip of the season and not a huge amount of snowfall in the 4v region, it’s the main thing I’m thinking about at the moment. Shocked

There are a number of different websites that one can consult for weather forecasts/snow predictions. The main ones I use are:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_resorts.asp?country=Switzerland

http://www.snow-forecast.com/countries/39/resorts/J-R

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/weather/detail_forecast.html

However they all have different forecasts!

While I appreciate that weather prediction is not an exact science and that all these services are using some sort of automated model to predict snowfall etc, my question is which service is most accurate? They obviously aren’t all right (as they have differing forecasts). I tend to pay most attention to Meteo Suisse, but as Snow-forecast is the most optimistic of the sites, I always wish they are right…

In your experience, which site is best?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1556garyt wrote:

snowheads Smile

you may want to read this thread which goes someway to explain where these sites get their data from and how/why it can fluctuate so much...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1556garyt wrote:

Whichever site is forecasting snow. Simples. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
a local ski instructor recommended this one http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatFr.php
obviously relevant mostly to Chamonix but helpful for surrounding areas too. One of its strengths is that it gives an index of reliability. The problem with the snow-forecast style ones is that they don't - though if they're changing a good deal, and not agreeing with each other, that's a pretty fair indication that they are all making perfectly plausible but entirely different forecasts on the basis of the available data.

I find snow-forecast pretty good, as long as you can persuade yourself not to take too much notice of anything too far away. I often use the detailed two-day forecasts to help plan what to do - but I also always look at meteo france and meteo chamonix. And bear in mind that forecasts of precise quantities of precipitation should be taken only as the broadest of indicators. Anyone who has spent time in the mountains knows that you can get very different weather on two sides of a ridge.

And no, the weather forecasts aren't the first thing I look at in the morning even before I've made a cup of tea or cleaned my teeth. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:

you may want to read this thread which goes someway to explain where these sites get their data from and how/why it can fluctuate so much...

I have searched for this thread but can't find it? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1556garyt, don't worry about it but just keep in mind that any forecast for a specific area beyond about 4 days is usually just a computer's best guess of which of a multitude is scenarios might play out and changes 4 times every day anyway. Metcheck et al are therefore fantasising specifics from virtual unknowns.

The one caveat to that (and I'm not going to bother explaining why) is when a HP cell sits over Europe which has already been there a long while and is predicted to stay there a good while still, you can bet it'll stay pretty dry for another week and usually some rain will follow before the snow does.

For something more specific in the Alps though, this French site ... http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/precipitations/3h.htm ... does do a good short term precipitation analysis based on the GFS super computer model but remember that past 96 hours it's unlikely to get it right and could get it very wrong indeed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1556garyt wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I have searched for this thread but can't find it? Puzzled

oops, sorry, I forgot to paste the link Embarassed

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Chamonix Meteo. It proved very reliable last season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy