Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer Day Hell

Poster: A snowHead
French Police are predicting one of the worst transfer days for 10 years on local radio. With thick snow falling since early this morning in a broad swathe from Lyon to the ski resorts in the Alps and Massif Central traffic is already backed up in resort trying to descend. Poorly equipped motorists who 'winged it' last weekend without snowchains or winter tyres are adding to the chaos. Traffic is also slow moving from Lyon to the Alps.

As they like to say on traffic reports "if you've not left resort already, fergeddit". Last weekend hundreds of British package tourists had to sleep in their coaches when they got stuck trying to get into Andorra.

Regarding this winter, the DDE who salt the roads it the Savoie had already used more salt by last weekend than in the whole of last winter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A quick update, a radio reporter has just announced that the motorway at Lyon St Priest direction Chambèry is completely blocked. It is "utter chaos" according to the gloating journalist. Air France are also on a wild cat strike today following the death of an air hostess. Train services to Bourg St Maurice are also delayed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, thanks for the info - there are times when being stuck in Q8 working on a Saturday doesn't seem all bad wink I can well imagine the hassles having had a 12 hour resort transfer from hell last season (La Plagne - Geneva) - and that wasn't even holiday time or snowing !!! Commiserations to any unlucky snowHeads caught up in all this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's the French for "wrong kind of snow"?

This could turn out to be quite serious, and very expensive. How many people are going to be affected? How many charter aircraft in Geneva will have no passengers to fill them? Will the French government declare a state of emergency? Should we send in the SAS?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

motorists who 'winged it' last weekend without snowchains or winter tyres

Do these include 2CVs with wings?
In all seriousness, please click here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:

motorists who 'winged it' last weekend without snowchains or winter tyres

Do these include 2CVs with wings?
In all seriousness, please click here.

ahh that is so cute, I want one!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, David Goldsmith, presumably there is an option on one with a wing on both sides and not just one!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds awful. I'm glad the days of Saturday transfers are over for me. I see that more tour operators are switching to Sunday for transfer day, so hopefully this will help spread the load.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just spoken to a friend crawling along near Dijon. Left Valfrejus 6 hours ago - heavy snow & traffic all the way - not happy bunnies.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't they spread mustard on the roads around there?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well you certainly wouldn't want it on food - feeble vinegary grey stuff. Now this is the real McCoy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hoping missing all of this mess is one of the perks of going in April!!??!! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems things are not going so well in Germany:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4279313.stm

Briefly, a coach taking people to Austria for ski=ing has crashed in heavy snow on the motorway in Germany. One killed seven seriously injured.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Despite the accident reported by Ian Hopkinson the German route and skiing in Austria can be a sensible choice for avoiding the French mid term break rush. It is not easy to find French skiers outside France. German Autobahns are also more orderly.

The phase while in Rome do what the Romans do does not apply to the French, certainly not during the mid term break.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The French go skiing in Rome? (only kidding!)
latest report
Of all days, I had to travel from Bourg down to Albertville then up the Maurienne Valley to Aussois this morning. At best 1hr 30 to 40 mins drive. I was dreading it. Set off at 6h30, got stuck in some slowish traffic to Moutiers but then no problems at all.

Races over, set off back mid afternoon... where was everyone? Still stuck between Lyon and Chambéry perhaps? The roads were completely empty, from Albertville right up to Bourg St Maurice. Never seen it so quiet on a Saturday afternoon!
snow report
They're probably winging it again. Watch out for low-flying transfer buses.
ski holidays
PG wrote:

Races over, set off back mid afternoon... where was everyone? Still stuck between Lyon and Chambéry perhaps? The roads were completely empty, from Albertville right up to Bourg St Maurice. Never seen it so quiet on a Saturday afternoon!

Yes, all a bit of a let down in the end "just" 200km of tailbacks for the whole of France.
snow report
The promised snow hasn't turned up yet either - some flurries (and very strong winds) as I was near the 3 Valleys on the way back, but nothing in the Maurienne or at the top end of the Tarentaise. Anything your way davidof?
ski holidays
PG wrote:
The promised snow hasn't turned up yet either - some flurries (and very strong winds) as I was near the 3 Valleys on the way back, but nothing in the Maurienne or at the top end of the Tarentaise. Anything your way davidof?

About 20cm at 1500m in the Chartreuse today... it snowed fairly consistently where we are at 400 meters but as you can see there is not too much snow to show for it.

Despite the smiles Tom and Tim were very unhappy. The A41 was pretty quiet too. Good news in the end.
ski holidays
God Bless Switzerland and rail transfers.
ski holidays
We have had a lot of fresh snow overnight. The pisteurs are bombing the slopes over at the 7 Laux as I speak.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy