Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I need some help!

I am thinking about going to Japan to ski however i need to make my mind up very soon as i need to leave by Monday next week. But i have one problem in that i know nothing about Japan.

Here are some intial qusetions:

When is the snow seaon? Is there any snow at the moment? Where are the snowsure resorts?
What resorts are good fun with good ski for intermediates?
I am on a budget hence which resorts are cheap?
How much for ski pass, food, equipment and hostels?
If anyone has any hostel recomemdations that would great
Thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This should be all you need to know:

Signatures a SWEETGRASS PRODUCTIONS film from Sweetgrass Productions
http://www.vimeo.com/5944026
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Japan + budget don't mix. I had quotes c.£2000 for flights/accommodation/transfers (not during peak times) for 10 days skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A quick Japan primer.

Hokkaido (North Island) = more snow, lighter powder, less radical terrain, more Australians
Honshu (South Island) = bigger mountains, better dirtbagging opportunities

You should be able to find cheap lodging in Hakuba. Look up Nick Kowal at the Hakuba Powder Lodge for cheap digs and tell him Roo sent ya! Ski passes are cheap. Happo One is the big local hill with pelnty of accessible off-piste. Hakuba 47 and Hakuba Goryu are also worth a look but the ski patrol are very hot on illicit off-piste skiing. Up at the top of the valley is Hakuba Cortina Kokusei which might just have the best tree skiing on earth and the Green Plaza Hotel has to be experienced at least once.

Hakuba is easy to get to from Narita. Buy a JR East rail pass at Narita and get the Narita Express train to Tokyo station. Then jump on the bullet train to Nagano. Right outside Nagano station are buses that will take you to Hakuba. Simples.

I think you're still a little early for the deeeep snow. Check the webcams for details. If you want to go to Hokkaido you'll need to factor in a connecting flight from Tokyo to Sapporo.

Plenty of decent restaurants and cafes around Hakuba for us round eyes. There's even a McDonalds at Usagidaira 109 (mid mountain) that serves Chicken Shaker Shaker.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bad roo.....great post. A big thank you.

Can you put some prices to your info...just so i get an idea?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and ski equipment info would be helpful. I have my own but i am back packing afterwards and rocking around the thai islands with a pair of skis is not cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure about ski equipment. I hauled my big mountain skis through the Tokyo underground. Shocked But there did look to be any number of rental places around Hakuba.

Here's a link to Nick and Hiro's lodge. http://www.hakubapowderlodging.com/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

am thinking about going to Japan to ski however i need to make my mind up very soon as i need to leave by Monday next week. But i have one problem in that i know nothing about Japan.

Why do you have to leave on Monday???

I think it might be a bit early for snow just yet. Especailly for Honshu.

Also, without doing much research and preparation, you're probably going to pay through your nose. Japan is not a cheap destination. Just getting around is going to cost you... (example, the cost of the train to the mountain is pretty expensive unless you get a rail pass, which can only be gotten from outside of Japan. I suspect you're too late to get one for next monday).

I'd say forget about Japan and just stick with Thailand... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry....i am leaving Monday but for Hong Kong and then will make my way to Japan for Skiing. I will be away for 5 months and want to improve my skiing in this time.

But thanks abc for the tip about the rail pass.

Someone give me some prices??????????????????/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A return flight from Hong Kong to Sapporo will run you about £500 (w/ Cathay Pacific, didn't bother looking anything else up because realistically you can scramble around the net for the cheapest flight yourself). You can get a train (or indeed a private transfer, Skybus run these) to Niseko, for example, check out the rail company website: www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/index.html. As for accommodation it is down to you, Google is your friend Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to clarify...i am backpacking so will get the ferry from Shanghai to Osaka whichi hear is cheap.

I need prices on the rest of the stuff like renting equip, hostels and ski passes, etc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livethedream48, If you want to get around Japan sightseeing for a week or two the Japan Rail Pass is very good value - BUT YOU MUST BUY IT BEFORE YOU ARRIVE IN JAPAN. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found a great video showing what Hakuba's like on the "Ski Resort Info" section of the Hakuba Luna hotel web site.

Hopefully this link will take you there.

http://www.hakubalunahotel.com/info.html

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livethedream48, try these websites if you've not already seen them http://www.snowjapan.com/ for general resort info & http://www.hakubahotels.com/ for accomodation if you decide on Hakuba.

Had a week in Hakuba january before last, really enjoyed it & found prices cheaper than many european resorts at the time eg B&B in own twin en-suite room £32 per night . bowl of noodles in piste-side restaurant £ 3 up. ski hire £80 for the week etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy