Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on skins materials

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so there is nylon and Mo-hair and some companies do a mix between the 2 (not aware of any others but i'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to skins) I've heard that mo-hair has better gliding properties but isn't as hard a wearing. I Personally have nylon ones (cos I was on a budget) but wonder if I made the right choice,

Hard to say if they were any good or not as I was using an alpine walker clip in in my bindings! Not the easiest thing to use in the world by any means!

What are others using out there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i have used all types - not a massive difference IMV. i'm more interested in the glue (colltex is best), weight and price

the only skins i have actively disliked have been pomoca ones and even they weren't *that* bad. for reference, i have had black diamond, pomoca and colltex skins. just got some G3 ones so i will be testing them in the coming season
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I highly recommend reading this - http://straightchuter.com/2009/10/choosing-climbing-skins/

Highly informative website for general ski touring & expedition skiing information. Well worth having a look through it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
i'm more interested in the glue (colltex is best), weight and price

This is all you need to know.

I own Black Diamond, Pomoca & Colltex. Newer Pomoca are far superior to the older versions (which I have also had, and after needing to do a DIY re-glue they look like a spare tyre from a truck that's been roasted for around an hour at 800 degc.)

I have never noticed a difference in skin performance as such. The Black Diamond skins are nylon IIRC and seem to get very wet (and therefore heavy), most of the time too many differing factors so I haven't evaluated the individual performance.

Attachments make a little difference but nothing to worry about really. At the moment given a choice I would buy Colltex for sure based on it's superb glue alone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be honest unless you are planning on a Polar crossing, then the wear factors are not a real concern. I use Coltex because that was what the shop had in my ski width and I'm happy with them.
What is not mentioned in the instruction is the fact that installing or removing any make of skins causes the wind to blow even on an otherwise windless day. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy