Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me some ski poles.

Poster: A snowHead
I normally buy cheapish £15/£20 poles and seem to scratch,bend or break them on a regular basis.
I am considering splashing out on something of a better quality,maybe lighter,adjustable,with powder or interchangeable baskets.
Any suggestions?
Is it worth the extra wonga or will I just bend and break these too Mad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll probably get them nicked.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, Do Landrover make ski poles?maybe I wouldnt break those wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott WC SL poles are the best I have used and I've had to fight to get them back off anyone that has borrowed them. Very stiff and light with low swing weight. £45 I think.

I have never bent or broken a set of poles so I can't speak for durability in the hands of a pole destroying skier but I imagine better quality aluminium would be more resistant to bending/breakage. I'd stay away from carbon poles and dislike them anyway. I'd also stay away from adjustable poles (or at least have them as a second set) theya re pretty horrible to use on piste.

How do you do this to your poles? Cashes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hedley, I'm a big fan of Scott's Element 5 carbon poles - great grip & strap which gives loads of support.

If I was buying now I'd PM the doc as he's just launched a ski pole company.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
narc, God knows how I do it.I just ski then at some point during the day I notice my once straight poles look like 'race stylee'.I am always having to bend them back over my knee.I am a fairly agressive skier though so maybe that a factor.
Seriously though,hire poles seem to be made heavier and sturdier as they have to do a job ,but after a couple of days mine look like they are a season old.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hedley wrote:
Spyderman, Do Landrover make ski poles?maybe I wouldnt break those wink

They're made of Girders Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've a pair of scott poles. That have lasted me about 5-6 years. The grips & straps on them are amazing & i've not come close to bending them yet. Though in saying that i generally make a point of not crashing these days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="spyderjon"]hedley, I'm a big fan of Scott's Element 5 carbon poles - great grip & strap which gives loads of support.

+1
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Carbon poles are very hard to break and don't stay bent, they flex.

My carbon poles are well over 10 years old and still fine after more than 30 weeks' of skiing.

Using lightweight carbon poles has improved my skiing because I have better control over the timing of my pole plant.

Decathlon used to sell a reasonably priced composite ski pole.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheapest
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kill_reign wrote:
cheapest

Ditto. Decathlon £8 poles are the cheapest I've come across in the UK. Cheaper they are the less likely to snap and bend instead. Cheap ones bend back easier too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have Leki Carbon 12.0 S trigger poles and I think they're amazing.

Quite expensive though......if you can find them in the UK!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hedley, i hate to do this as i want them myself but i dont really need to add to my collection of poles.

Carbon, fibreglass composite Scotts. 25 delivered...

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/210829/SubProducts/210829-0001
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Liveezy, We (MrsS and myself) got a pair of these each last week. Look and feel pretty good, but we haven't actually used them yet. Old bent/scratched/knackered aluminium poles relegated to dendix.
ski holidays
Is it really worth having your own pair of ski poles?
snow report
hah, i think yes but then i have five pairs.
ski holidays
RobinS, sweet, glad to hear that you like them. What's the pole diam if you wouldn't mind and have callipers to hand? This is a very important factor when considering the purchase..
snow report
Christopher, not if you like skiing blades wink
Not sure where your coming from on that one Puzzled
Thanks for the reccomendations everyoneLiveezy, I will take a look at those.
snow report
hedley, To clarify, I meant if you don't have your own skis but and usually hire skis, is it really worth buying your own poles? or should you just take the hire poles the hire shop give you?

I've probably already answered my own question.
snow report
Try Komperdell Schnapps poles......a great way down the slopes.

Someone here will probably badger me about unbalanced weight distribution as the poles get lighter but it saves the wieght of a hip flask. wink

Not sure how well they bend though.
snow report
Liveezy, They are at home, and I am at work at the moment. They are a lot thinner than my old ally ones, but not as thin as some expensive carbon ones, I'll try to remember to measure them tonight.
snow report
Liveezy, Haven't got callipers, but the diam looks like 14mm to me.
ski holidays
spyderjon, have you ever seen the grips on Lifelink Alpine Extreme poles? Scott-style rubber + 3 cm adjustability.
snow conditions
RobinS, Sweet, thanks for that. I was looking for skinny ones. Next year maybe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy