Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

serre chevalier/ Montgenevre week before christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm planning to go skiing the week before Christmas (12-19 December). I first thought about aiming high (Val d'isere/Tignes), but while studying the weather maps it seems that the southern alps will receive an immense snowfall sunday-tuesday. So I'm thinking to go to Serre Chevalier or Montgenevre instead. However I've seen that Serre Chevalier only opens the 12th! Does anyone have any experience about how much they usually open the week before Christmas (providing there is a lot of snow). If they only open 10 lifts, I don't think I'll go there. Montgenevere already opens the 5th so I'd suppose they'll have most opened by the 12th.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bart_bdv, I think the northern French alps are currently shaping up much better. I'd personally go to Tignes on that basis. A forecast for next week will presumably change immensly.

But if your right, then its got to be the southern Alps. As long as the snow is adequate/good. That early in the season and living in Belguim I imagine you have a great degree of flexibility and could just turn upto where the snow is best and where has opened the most amount of lifts.

I think (never been myself that early) the lift company only open a rather limited amount of lifts in Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre.

You skiing ability would choose between Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier. If your wanting confidence building runs, Montgenevre it is. If you want a challenge it has to be Serre Chevalier.

where did you hear the forecast?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found it snowHead

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Serre-Chevalier/6day/top

Does indeed look good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're right it can still change, but I'm only going to book once the snow has fallen. But as Serre Chevalier only opens the 12th, it's too late to wait until then to book!

I'm a good skier, skiing about 3weeks per year since 15 years. Never been to Montgenevre or serre chevalier in winter, but I was there last summer and I really liked the surroundings.

In the French Climate forums, they're currently totally excited with more than 1 meter predicted at 2000 m for the Southern Alps. All the different weather models are confirming this, so there is a good chance of this happening (but you always have to wait and see...). In the northern French Alps there could fall quite a bit of snow as well, but this is less sure and it can just as well be Föhn wind all the time...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hope it is right snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Cool . bart_bdv, stay in Briancon, and you have the choice of both resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I have a car, and from summer I remember that Serre Chevalier-Briancon is only a short distance. I just want to be sure there is sufficient terrain opened that early. Let's hope the forecasts are right...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bart_bdv, I discovered the area in the summer aswell. Absolutely love it.

If I was you I would spend a day in both Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier with a limited amount of lifts being opened.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bart_bdv, you can access the Serre Che area directly from Briancon by the Prorel gondola, and it's a short drive to Monty.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were there for that first week a couple of years ago. I don't remember any problems at all with the lifts but I do remember lovely wide empty pistes and a warm welcome from the cafes & restaurants. Montgenevre is about 20 mins away but think you'll find plenty to ski in Serre Che. The prettiest resort is Monetier but for access & cafes I think Chantemerle is best followed by Villeneuve which caters to a younger crowd. We're off there in Jan so loving those snow reports!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy