Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm new here. Anyone been Val Gardena in mid December?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm new here and a novice skier. I was in Morzine for a week last season and by the end of the week I could deal with most reds no probs although my technique is probably dodge. Puzzled

I was wondering if anyone had been to Val Gardena in mid december? I was thinking about going on the 13th.

There's a lot of stuff on the dolomite website about the great snow making facilities, and guaranteed snow but I'm sceptical.

So has anyone been before in mid decmeber and what was the snow like? How were the snowmaking facilities? I know snow is never guaranteed but I would hate to turn up and there were very few runs open.

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been that early but they are indeed rated for their snow making facilities! They hold world cup races there in December so cant imagine you will have nothing to slide on! That said however nothing is guaranteed! If you can handle reds in Morzine the Val Gardena wont hold too many problems for you at all!

Take lessons and get the technique right.

Enjoy and BTW, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.valgardena.it/en/snow-report/page212.html

seems to be a bit snow there already which is promising Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sean1967, I've had private tution from the Italian Ski School in Arabba (Scuola Sci Arabba) for the last two years and it's been the best tuition I've ever had, especially compared to ESF in France. It's also very cheap in comparison to France. They seem to employ a lot of local instructors and I noticed a lot of them are related to each other. The ski school in Selva appears to be part of the same Italian Ski School federation and I guess would have a similar standard and setup.

btw, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roy Hockley wrote:

Take lessons and get the technique right.

Enjoy and BTW, welcome to snowHead

I had four lesson at Bellahouston dry slope in Glasgow before going last yeat and they were great. Very cheap.

I don't know if I can afford them this time round but the chap I'm going with used to race a bit in his younger days, hopefully he can give me a few pointers.

Thanks for the info and nice welcomes guys. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

There's a lot of stuff on the dolomite website about the great snow making facilities, and guaranteed snow but I'm sceptical.

you're quite right to be sceptical. snow-making is OK when it's cold but at the moment it isn't, and the forecasts are still a bit iffy. A lot iffy, even. I'd be inclined to wait, and if the weather keeps on being very mild, maybe head somewhere like Tignes where the skiing should still be good because it's so high.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, we're in 'The Valley' on the 2nd or 3rd week of Dec every year. We leave on the 19th next month. Never had a problem, although we were lucky 3 yrs ago.

Yes, it is a little warm at present, but there is a base of snow down already which will allow any new falls to stay. The temps are dropping and forecast to carry on dropping.

http://www.ski-factory.it/eng/ Go here for lessons all of our four kids learnt to ski with these guys, I can recommend an instuctor if you let me know you requirements. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:
Yep, we're in 'The Valley' on the 2nd or 3rd week of Dec every year. We leave on the 19th next month. Never had a problem, although we were lucky 3 yrs ago.

Yes, it is a little warm at present, but there is a base of snow down already which will allow any new falls to stay. The temps are dropping and forecast to carry on dropping.

http://www.ski-factory.it/eng/ Go here for lessons all of our four kids learnt to ski with these guys, I can recommend an instuctor if you let me know you requirements. Very Happy

I wa thinking about goin on the 13th.

I'm not up for lessons, rather spend the dosh on beer. Thats another question, how dear's the beer in Italy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="sean1967rather spend the dosh on beer. Thats another question, how dear's the beer in Italy. Very Happy[/quote]

Cheaper than France, but not as cheap as Eastern Europe. The exchange rate has put pay to cheap beer. Do you board or ski and how much experience do you have?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mollerski wrote:
[quote="sean1967rather spend the dosh on beer. Thats another question, how dear's the beer in Italy. Very Happy

Cheaper than France, but not as cheap as Eastern Europe. The exchange rate has put pay to cheap beer. Do you board or ski and how much experience do you have?[/quote]

I have very little experience, 4 lessons at Bellahouston dry slope and then a week in Morzine. The guy I was with had only one weeks experience.

We decided the best thing to do was get me straight onto the blues. I knew how to stop and I'd imagine that's the crutial thing. By the end of the week I was coping with the reds ,never tried any blacks though, looked a bit mental. I had one hard fall. I was pushing myself on the home run into Nyon and was flying going into a small treed section, there was a parky hanging from one of the trees hammering in a sign, I glanced at him and then........ faaaboom, skis popped of and rolled for a good distance.

An English geeza stoppped to check I was ok " you alright maaaate?"

"yeah cheers"

" oh yeah, efing* washing machine!"

The lessons in Italy look like really good value.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last year it was whole lot of snow, but last winter wasn't really standard one Wink Other then that, take care a bit about dates. WC is in Gardena on 18th and 19th of December (with few trainings earlier that week), so things might not be all that great for skiing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
primoz wrote:
Last year it was whole lot of snow, but last winter wasn't really standard one Wink Other then that, take care a bit about dates. WC is in Gardena on 18th and 19th of December (with few trainings earlier that week), so things might not be all that great for skiing.

WC = World Cup?

1. Do they close a lot of pistes for this?

2.Will it be rammed full of fit young women watching the WC?

1&2 yes = OK

1&2 no = OK

1 Yes, 2 NO = disaster

1 No, 2 Yes = happy days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The temps are dropping and forecast to carry on dropping.

Mollerski, I think I prefer your forecast. Which is that?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm checking all of the forecasts. Confused wink

Most of the WC action takes place in St. Christina. It'll only be the back of ths Ciampinoi and the Sasslong which will be cordoned off.

sean1967, Get some snow lessons mate, you sound a bit of a liability to yourself and more worryingly me if our weeks overlap. Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 26-11-09 7:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sean1967, if it makes you feel better we had private tuition with a really nice young (21-24 ish) single Italian girl, who was very pretty. You can request the instructors by name in Arabba, so I suppose Selva maybe the same.

Is this match.com or snowheads ? rolling eyes

btw, the other person in my lesson was my wife before anyone asks.
latest report
Mollerski, Be aware there may be a liability around! wink
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
I'm checking them all of the forecasts. Confused wink

Most of the WC action takes place in St. Christina. It'll only be the back of ths Ciampinoi and the Sasslong which will be cordoned off.

sean1967, Get some snow lessons mate, you sound a bit of a liability to yourself and more worryingly me if our weeks overlap. Very Happy

oh aye? Liability eh? Mad Trying to take a rise out of the new boy? Its not difficult, point the skis down the hill, weight forward and turn.....................................

They do seem quite good value at 35 yowrows. Very Happy
snow report
That's it! Simple!

Enjoy! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy