Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nokia Skiing Related Apps??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening All.

Hmm, now after being a patient chap and waiting out for the Nokia N97 Mini over the monster that is it bigger brother i was gutted to find this:
http://www.mammut.ch/en/safetyapp.html

After searching for a while for something similar for the Nokia i seem to have drawn a blank does anyone out there have or know of anything similar for the N97...?

I suppose this will teach me for being stubborn over the I Phone! why o why cant nokia get their act together!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matricks, Not sure about altitude or compass on the N975. I have a 5800 so they come from the GPS which means a) I need to be moving for the compass to work and b) when walking by the sea the thing claims I'm at 200m ASL Puzzled . However IIRC there are clinometers for the Nokia, I can't remember what they were called but I do remember seeing some on my search for "apps".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matricks,

I don't do off piste, but my initial instinct if I was seeing someone using an Iphone (or any other phone) app to assess the risk of a slope would be to run a mile... and quick! And if you think you need it I'd suggest to get proper lessons about skking off piste..

Coming back to your original question: Although not ski specific, Nokia does an application called Nokia Sports tracker.
It GPS based, will map out (exportable to Google earth) where you have, average speed, max speed, total distance etc.. I use it with my Nokia 5800 for jogging, but skiing is one of the activities supported and we used it last year in meribel to map out an entire day of skiing..
Officially the sports tracket does not support Symbian60 V5, i.e 5800/N97/N97 mini, but there is a version that works very well (the one I am using) HERE.
Not quite like the Mammut app but fun nonetheless and it's free...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, from a quick browse the program works as a compass, altimeter and clinometer which all provide info on whether a slope is likely to be safe which will compare to the info in the avvy bulletin. The first two functions you can get from a map anyway, the last one is useful as it means you should always be able to access up to date info without needing to find an internet connection or hope it's been posted somewhere and is up to date (e.g. L2A had a really good forecast and snowpack profile by the lift, unfortunately it was from 2006 probably still there now). Also the clinometer function is a brilliant idea and having a phone do it is as good as anything else. So as a tool this is quite useful partly to aid route selection the night before and to provide further info to aid safety decisions on the fly. Although of course it opens up the whole phone-transceiver debate again Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly,

I stand corrected then! Very Happy

Quote:

Although of course it opens up the whole phone-transceiver debate again

Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler,

I do off piste, and dont see why the use of an electronic clinometer should be any different to that of my one made from plastic Puzzled Combine into that a package that wraps up from one screen, Avalanche bulletins, weather and snowfall, compass, altimeter and GPS. Effectively its another tool in the box and will help in making sensible informed decisions.

I use the Sports Tracker as well and it suits what it is designed for but wont give you avalanche updates and weather updates. I accept that there are probably apps for nokia that all together will do roughly the same - i was just after one neat and tidy package - which nokia dont seem to do. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
matricks,

The N97 has got an integrated compass by all accounts, and the GPS app I told you about will let you know your altittude.
I found this for a clinometer: http://www.persian-forums.com/f97/drjukka-inclinometer-v1-00-s60v5-freeware-upd-09-10-24-a-12187/
No idea if it is any good though..

Can't help with bulletins but you can alway find out on the net the night/morning before and if you don't clear the phone's browser cache, the pages/bulletin should be on the phone even without any network access.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly,

Well Said.

Transceiver for me Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
matricks wrote:
I accept that there are probably apps for nokia that all together will do roughly the same - i was just after one neat and tidy package - which nokia dont seem to do. Sad

It won't be as good as the mammut app on the iphone but remember the N97 mini can multitask, so you can leave compass/sports tracker/inclinometer all run at the same time and just use your home screen button to switch easily between each screen.

And you can also start lobbying mammut for them to develop a symbian version of the app.. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler,

Quote:

And you can also start lobbying mammut for them to develop a symbian version of the app..

Already done!!! sent an email last night... Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:

the N97 mini can multitask

Fair enough - guess ill just have to keep digging around.

Kruisler, Cheers for the link - ill have a look at it tonight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Coming back to your original question: Although not ski specific, Nokia does an application called Nokia Sports tracker.
It GPS based, will map out (exportable to Google earth) where you have, average speed, max speed, total distance etc.. I use it with my Nokia 5800 for jogging, but skiing is one of the activities supported and we used it last year in meribel to map out an entire day of skiing..
Officially the sports tracket does not support Symbian60 V5, i.e 5800/N97/N97 mini, but there is a version that works very well (the one I am using) HERE.
I've got the Sports tracker installed on my 5800 without any problems. As a slight diversion have you come across an interval timer for newer Nokias (e.g. for timing 8 running/walking intervals)? The older ones used to have such a thing but I can't find a free one for the new one Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peura,

I have not really looked. I use "Timer Lite" (free) to time when stretching after a run but it only does one interval at a time.

The not free (£1) version would seem to fit the bill:
http://store.ovi.com/content/6FC7C47889CAE464E040050A853237A8/reviews

Search OVi you might get lucky..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
matricks, Get an N900 instead!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First post on here, but ive been lurking for a while(and bought off a forum member last week). Ive been looking for similar stuff for nokia, havent found much like that. Ive found Snowranger(topographical piste maps, linked to using the phones gps) but im a bit hesitant to pay the £100 odd quid for the europe map set, when the garmin mobile XT software that runs it and all the european road maps to go with it can be found online for free.

much like the comment above regarding the nokia compass, I fail to see how the iphone compass can work unless you are moving.

As a side note, when skiing and ive wanted to know the direction, Ive always been able to gather a rough idea by using my watch, and the suns position in the sky, granted its only given me a rough idea to within "north, north east, east" etc, and not to a degree, but given the fact that im mainly alpine skiing, and its only been used when ive either dropped the piste map on a lift/theres no markers/poles around due to being off the beaten track, and trying to work out which way is home. But I feel if i needed it any more accurate than that, I wouldnt be trusting the compass on my phone(given that the spirit level on my phone says my shelves aint straight), id either be using a proper compass, or following gps co ordinates(and proper GPS not pseudo GPS using cellular networks)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy