Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossi B2s - love 'em but what next? Advice please...

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so here's the thing; I've been using these skis a couple of weeks a year since I bought them new in 2005/6. I absolutely love them and they've never let me down even on the iciest of black runs. I'm the wrong side of 50 Shocked (just!) 5 foot 10, weigh 75kg and enjoy skiing all over the mountain. Problem is, I bought the 166 length rather than the 170 somethings that were the next size up. Whilst I'm heartily glad of this a lot of the time (moguls are fun and who needs to go THAT fast?) I find myself wishing for a bit more float in my now rather more than occaisional off piste/powdery moments. So, guys, what would you recommend as a second pair of skis? My ignorance of current ski ranges is deeply profound - the only impression I get at the moment it that I'm spoilt for choice! Any short list suggestions would be heartily welcomed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gvj, You sound almost identical to myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1115221&highlight=nordica+enforcer#1115221

That's what I moved onto from the older version of B2s
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott Missions or Punishers?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
B2s....possibly the worst ski I have ever used.

A pair of staves knocked out of an old barrell would be a step up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your input, Scarpa and Tony. Rungsp, the usefulness of your advice is matched only by the standard of your spelling.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I still have a soft spot for em... used them from my 5th day on skis though to about 11 weeks. They do go very soft as the foam cores degrade though. I'm keeping mine for dry slopes and domes Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ai'm claiming immunity from spelling barrell incorrectly as it was my wife's maiden name and that was spelt with two ls.

I'm not wrong about B2s though....dreadful punter skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
B2s....possibly the worst ski I have ever used.

A pair of staves knocked out of an old barrell would be a step up.

What a load of pretentious cr*p

I've had a pair of B2s for the last 4 seasons, 2 of them with Alpine binding on, and 2 of them with telemark bindings on. They are the best all round skies I've had. They are a proper ski for proper skiers who can handle any terrain.

I expect them to last for at least a further 3-4 seasons, but then I'm not a poser who must be seen in the latest "in" ski
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gvj, B2s - good skis to be on to flatter one's skiing but IMO a little too forgiving to encourage good technique! Do you still want all mountain? ie are you intending on spending literally most of your time off piste? How much piste performance are you willing to sacrifice? Missions or Lords of about your height would be worth a go if you're sure you want significantly more float but obviously you'd sacrifice some piste performance. If you don't really care about piste performance you could go longer and much much wider indeed. If you want a bit more float but don't want to sacrifice much piste performance compared to a 76mm B2 I guess you should aim for low 80's in mm width eg Neo or Peak 82, at or just below your height. HTH snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found the B2 to give a little too much inner ski tip lead and the colour of them didnt match my helmet so I had to ski without on the piste's of valdisere because being a french ski I couldn't take them to LaRoss because you sometime ski in italy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've go a pair of Scott Punishers and find they carve really well on the piste and also give ample float off-piste in most conditions. Obviously it depends how much off-piste you want to do but from what you've said I think they would suit you really well. I would have thought the 172cm would be perfect for you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
daehwons wrote:
I found the B2 to give a little too much inner ski tip lead and the colour of them didnt match my helmet so I had to ski without on the piste's of valdisere because being a french ski I couldn't take them to LaRoss because you sometime ski in italy

Tua Sumo or Tua Crossride would've fixed that problem.

Next!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Volkl ? AC30 or Mantra.

I love the edge grip on Volkls, in fact I think I'm obsessed with them.

It's great if you find something you really like. (skiing Very Happy )

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gvj, there's a pair of Volkls for sale on this board that should suit.

They're going for peanuts too. I'll have a look.
snow conditions
Here you are
ski holidays
What sensitive artists the B2 fans are.

I insult their skis, so they insult me.

I have skied B2s. I thought they were dreadful. I have a different opinion to you and I voiced it.
Even in the Internet Land I am surprised that is sufficient reason to get personal.

Oh well....
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:

I have skied B2s. I thought they were dreadful. I have a different opinion to you and I voiced it.
Even in the Internet Land I am surprised that is sufficient reason to get personal.

Oh well....
well I think either you must have had a bad/damaged old pair to try....or putting it politley you have not really the skill to appreciate the ski....tbh most skis are quite reasoanble in their performance, the days of really bad skis are long gone...I dont know your skill level or experience but even different models/years of b2 have variations in performance that can be easily distingiushed....all are good though, on piste is at least good and off piste they are exceptional....so it is not surprising to see the reaction for users to your rather extreme comments....I suggest you "take a stress pill and calm down, dave"!
snow conditions
snowornever, Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not simply a natives troll I'm guessing that its highly likely that rungsp does a lot more skiing than you and has skied a lot more modern skis courtesy of a certain gearwhore mate.

No one can say the B2 wasn't a success for its time and market segment and I suspect its still pretty good tele (based on my ancient metal XXXs) but times, shapes and widths have moved on for state of the art in the modern all mountain ski. Rossi's most interesting skis these days are stuff like the S6/S7.
ski holidays
snowornever wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Oh well....
well I think either you must have had a bad/damaged old pair to try....or putting it politely you have not really the skill to appreciate the ski....tbh most skis are quite reasoanble in their performance, the days of really bad skis are long gone...I dont know your skill level or experience but even different models/years of b2 have variations in performance that can be easily distingiushed....all are good though, on piste is at least good and off piste they are exceptional....so it is not surprising to see the reaction for users to your rather extreme comments....I suggest you "take a stress pill and calm down, dave"!

I was fascinated to hear rungsp refer to B2s as a punters ski, so does that make me a punter? well yes I suppose now I am, but when I wasn't and was skiing over 300 days a year, I would have loved to have these skis. The B2s I have, are excellent all round skis. The more you put into them the more they give back. They will hold on boilerplate ice, that track beautifully in high speed GS turns. They float nicely in powder, but hang on! isn't that what a punter wants? a good quality all round ski?

This then begs the question - what is a punter? I would guess that 99% of the people registered on this site are "punters" People who do 1 week's skiing a year, people who would love to ski more but have to balance family life / work and finances. I now fall into this category so yes I'm a punter and proud of it. I do not want to buy a ski that is ace for powder but hell on piste, likewise I want a piste ski that will turn in powder on those rare occasions when powder and my holiday coincide.

So to say that the B2 is, quote, "possibly the worst ski I have ever used." then call it a "punters ski" is a total contradiction. If your going to call a ski "possibly the worst ski I have ever used." back it up with a decent argument, or just keep your pretentious cr*p to yourself.

So sticking to the thread, gvj. I would stick with your B2s -good quality skis like these have a long life. They may now not be the current model with fancy top surface graphics but they are bloo*y good skis which most punter will enjoy.
latest report
Mmm.. look at the number of seasonaires, instuctors, guides, that use Rossi B2's, 3's SC80's , ... but I guess you'd have to be over there for more than a week no notice. Rossi bandits are VERY popular, just not with 'punters'.
snow conditions
I see its a tad heated on here now but only two people have actually helped QVJ. He asked for opinions on what next and got a discussion about what he has and the politness of people. I'm interested in any advice, like QVJ on what skis are next.
ski holidays
flog873347, Yeah... including an opinion alongside some advice or suggestions is a different matter. It should be kept in mind that this is a question from someone fairly new to the forum and not the general rough and tumble of a 26 page thread.

As said above... the only real answer is to try as many skis as you can. Many stores will negotiate on hiring a different pair of demo skis each day with the cost knocked off if you end up buying a pair. Although you may end up paying a few more pounds than a second hand pair would cost... IMHO the benefits of trying various models far outway the expense. Ask the folk on this forum, draw up a shortlist and get out there on the fluffy stuff Cool
ski holidays
gvj wrote:
OK, so here's the thing; I've been using these skis a couple of weeks a year since I bought them new in 2005/6. I absolutely love them and they've never let me down even on the iciest of black runs. I'm the wrong side of 50 Shocked (just!) 5 foot 10, weigh 75kg and enjoy skiing all over the mountain. Problem is, I bought the 166 length rather than the 170 somethings that were the next size up. Whilst I'm heartily glad of this a lot of the time (moguls are fun and who needs to go THAT fast?) I find myself wishing for a bit more float in my now rather more than occaisional off piste/powdery moments. So, guys, what would you recommend as a second pair of skis? My ignorance of current ski ranges is deeply profound - the only impression I get at the moment it that I'm spoilt for choice! Any short list suggestions would be heartily welcomed.

Try SC80's.. I did 'the field' and loved them. you probably need a litle longer, as you said - they're twin tips too, so longer the better.. BUT.. you need to be able to 'use them' there are more 'forgiving' skis out there.
snow report
flog873347 wrote:
I see its a tad heated on here now but only two people have actually helped QVJ. He asked for opinions on what next and got a discussion about what he has and the politness of people. I'm interested in any advice, like QVJ on what skis are next.

Yes my apologies to QVJ, unfortunately as I'm not in the market for new skis, so I can't help with up to date advise, but, sorry for slightly hijacking your thread. Its a shame that your B2s were probably too short for you in the first place.
snow conditions
Rob D, Good point.. I bought the 170's which were still a great beginners ski. I'd say to the original poster...if going for a twin tip get at least 175+. It'll take a few days sking to make the adjustment in length but persevere and thou shalt reap thy rewards.
latest report
flog873347, I count 6 people tried to help, before your post Little Angel

I had B2s for 2 seasons and absolutely loved them on and off piste in all conditions. Then got onto a pair of RX8s and discovered that the B2s were not only very competent but also somehow very forgiving, so's to have made everything seem easy. Result? I'd enjoyed my skiing tremendously but had gotten away with murder technically. Now if I was going to ski only B2s for the rest of my life, I think I'd consider continuing just to ski merrily on them. Unfortunately I still have ambitions of progress in both ability and versatility so my B2s have been relegated to teaching skis - and do a damn fine job of that.
snow report
The problem with the original question is that you could move on to almost anything from a B2. I'd demo some stuff in the 90-100mm range and see if anything tickles your fancy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have blue B2s from, I think, 2005. Love 'em. Played off the edges of the pistes for two or three years then, in the last two years, tried proper off piste in Les Arcs and Argentirere. Performed brilliantly, certainly beyond my punterish abilities.

I reckon the comments about foam core degradation are correct, as mine are starting to feel a little soft but I'll probably struggle on to get full value out of them in my only trip this winter.

I've tried friends' Scott Missions and Salomon Lords. Both great but not hugely better off piste than the B2s and slightly clunky from edge to edge on hardpack or ice.

I guess, in summary, they are pretty tidy for most of us, given that most of us are punters after all.
snow conditions
I long to be good enough to be insulted as a "dreadful punter".

snowHead
snow report
I'm in the like my B"'s camp. I can't say I'm particularly proficient off piste, but compared to any other ski's I've tried the b2's make it some much more manageable. Tried other skis at some Very Happy ski tests any most are an a par with my B2's except some purely piste ski's which you know when you try them that they wouldn't float as well in powder. Hear endeth the opinion of a "punter".
latest report
The B2 was a great ski - in 2004... As was the X-Scream Hot and the Pocket Rocket.

However since then ski design has progressed...
2010 skis are generally wider and more refined.

If your ski 2 weeks a year - and are looking for a direct B2 replacement then something like the Movement Spark would be a great option.

However don't be scared to try some even wider skis (85-95mm+). The following should also be on your radar - Movement Colouir, Volkl Wall, Dynastar Mythic, Fischer Watea, Scott Mission, K2 Backlash / Public Enemy. All great skis for peeps looking to dabble in a little between the piste action.
snow report
Dynastar Sultan (replacement for the Legend 8000) would be worth trying. Waist has been increased to 85mm so should improve on the off piste performance of the already accomplished 8000. The Legend was an excellent ski that could be enjoyed from intermediate up to expert. The Mythic is a step up in stifness so will reward being skied harder. I tried a Fischer Watea 78 recently which was fun and very easy both on and off piste. Would be a good like for like replacement at 78mm. The 84 or 94 models might also be worth a look if you are planning on spending more time off piste. If you are skiing 1 or 2 weeks a season and are used to and happy on a softer ski be careful of being talked into buying something stiff. It will only make things harder off piste unless you are upping your speed/effort.
snow report
bobinch, True... on the other hand every time I got up speed my old B2's started wandering or chattering untill they felt out of control. That's when I knew I had to get something wider and stiffer.
latest report
I'm about to replace my B2's too. Done plenty of sidecountry stuff and a week's touring but looking to progress to more challenging skiing. I'm looking to go with some 170 Mantra's but at 5"7 and 148 pounds they may be a tad too stiff, though my lightweight is due to the 10 hours a week cycling I do. They'll be for resort and lift assisted skiing only. any comments welcome...
snow conditions
I have some Dynastar Mythics which I got in a sale at the end of last season; great skis but I also get the chattering problem at speed; do you think this is my poor technique or the skis being too soft? (It also happened on my lovely old Salomon Screams)...
ski holidays
JojoB, mythics shouldn't be soft. Take them in the moguls, if the tails kick you around a bit you know your on a stiff ski. If you can slide round and through them you are on a soft (or short) ski.
snow report
bobinch, The lovely Black Crow Navis skis felt like that as I got tired towards the end of the day. Just a touch too stiff for what I could drive into them. Plenty of float at 104 underfoot also.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy