Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trains between Paris and Argentiere ???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody;

It will be the first time for me to be in France and after I see Paris,
I will go Argentiere for my first Europen Ski experience(already excited about it) but I really want to be at the hotel(Ucpa) on time, I mean 8 Am.
And here is my question; For being at 8 Am at the Argentiere when shoud I take the train from Paris and then which road should follow? What is the closest main train station to the Argentiere and is there a website or is there anybody who knows the train times of this main station also from Paris to this main station. Even it is impossible to be in Agrentiere 8 am, I will try to be hotel at the evening and maybe will ask a couch for start skiing asap Smile
thanks
Halim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This site is the French National railway(SNCF) timetable.

ttp://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires/accueil

I don't think there is an overnight train but you can go all the way to Argentiere by train
Hope it works out and you have a good journey
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hwwwest, you'd need to change trains for that journey, of course. 8 am is an unusual time to have to arrive at a hotel - is that what they've said?

It might be a good idea to ask the hostel themselves about a good way of getting there by train.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tI won't be a problem for me to change the trains because I will have interrail globalPass ticket. Okey but when I try to search Paris to Argentiere trains and wait for more than 1 train ofcourse, but there is not a result for it and I don't know what is the main station close to the Argentiere which one should I write on website as I guess.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deutsche Bahn has a very useful tool covering all West European rail timetables:

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will check it, it seems useful Smile thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm pretty certain that there is an overnight train from paris to St Gervais. At St Gervais you change onto the local service to get to argentiere.

Not sure if it will get you there for eight, but it won't be much later.

iirc there is a bit of a walk from argentiere railway station to the ski lifts, but I don't know where the ucpa is, so it may be a bit less to there.

good luck.

david

ps I don't suppose a couchette is included in the interail ticket, but if you plan to ski the next day I would recommend the upgrade !!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like http://www.sbb.ch for train times

Also check
http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/chamonix
which has lots of useful info.

The UCPA is just up from the Argentiere station. Maybe 50 m?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First of all UCPA's aren't really hotels. (Although one or two of them used to be) Argentierre isn't though - and there is no reason to aim to be there at 8am.
Either aim for Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

Be carefull which train station you go to though cos there are two called Argentiere and I was chatting to a French couple last year who went to the wrong one! What's even more funny is that they both worked for the SNCF! Think they ended up having to stop in a hotel overnight and arrived on Sunday morning!

The train stain is a stones throw from the UCPA. Although you may need to change at Chamonix
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mexicomark, The other Argentiere would be Argentiere La Besse. The train station is called Argentiere Les Ecrins, because funnily enough its on the edge of the Ecrins National Park.

The distance between the two is a long long way. Don't make that mistake. Argentiere Haute Savoie is the one you want, thats how SNCF Voyages differenciates between the two.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hwwwest, 08:00, are you sure? Remember they have to get rid of last week's people and then clean the room for you arriving. I would have thought noon was more likely.

I hope you're going to post pictures of your Grand European Ski Experience. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hwwwest, any of the european rail sites should get you the correct route, I like www.sbb.ch and it doesn't show me anything getting you in that early. It may be that you need to be a wee bit clever about your route and actually take longer than the automated systems suggest.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, I believe the arrangements for the UCPA centres is that you can arrive (if your not staying Saturday night) at 8h00 sunday morning and you pick up your gear etc and get your rooms.

You leave the centre by 14h00 on Saturday, so they have Saturday afternoon and evening to clean etc.

Effectively there isn't a single change over day like most hotels/appartments.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pendodave, there are 2 nigth trains from Paris-Austerlitz to St-Gervais-les-Bains-le-Fayet , they departuring around 22:00 - 23:00 but it takes 10 hours, it means double than normal time:)
mexicomark, Christopher, thanks for warnings.

Lizzard, I know morning would be busy but it is written on the paper, people can reserve one night earlier to be on time at morning with extra cost ofcourse so it means that I can be at hotel any time and I prefer to be at 8 Am but I think I can not venture the night train and I will pay extra night and will be at hotel one evening before. At least I can arrange my skis before morning Wink
Christopher, I agree with you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hwwwest, Thats my plan aswell. To travel on the saturday and stay over night in the UCPA. Therefore I can get everything sorted as quick as possible on the sunday morning and essentially get skiing.
ski holidays
TGV to Annecy and change for Chamonix is the other option.
Use Chamonix as your search option.
The local trains are actually badged TER and the timetables are often separate from SNCF.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/
snow report
Christopher, I see that we are together in this game Smile I checked almost every train but I still don't know where is the Argentiere ucpa station exactly ?

Here is the map; does anybody know which color and between which numbers is that station ?

thanks
snow conditions
Sorry for the long reference but the UCPA is shown on googlemaps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Argenti%C3%A8re,+74400+Chamonix,+Haute-Savoie,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.657515,32.036133&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FYqpvQId-rFpAA&split=0&hq=&hnear=Argenti%C3%A8re,+Chamonix,+Haute-Savoie,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&ll=45.983365,6.92688&spn=0.007261,0.015643&z=16
snow report
hwwwest, snowHead Your not wrong. Looking forward to the delights of french trains and UCPA centres. I'm sure you'll love the massive ski areas.

I've only ever been to Argentiere in the Chamonix Valley once, it was in the summer and I don't where the UCPA centre is.

The train station was in a good central location. The lifts are a little walk from the centre of the town..

Its a small enough village that I'm pretty sure you would easily find it.
snow conditions
Everything sounds great Smile Btw, How do you contact with Ucpa Argentiere Hotel because argentiere@ucpa.asso.fr doesn't answer the mails. I also confirm this mail from center of ucpa. I think you also want to stay one night in advance.
I hope prices are not that much.
ski holidays
hwwwest, I think it is about an extra €50 if you want to stay over Saturday night. That is exactly what I'm doing for all the saturday nights over my 3 weeks. If you're under the age of 25, remember you get a €50 discount for the whole week anyway. Make sure you select this discount.

I haven't actually contacted them directly so can't help you there. I'm going to make my reservations tomorow.

If you're wanting to reserve your place, you need to go here: http://holidays.ucpa.com/selection.aspx?univers=10&ug=207

You need to select whether you would like to have lessons, go on a off piste course or ski independently. I think this is what you are probably specificaly after:

http://holidays.ucpa.com/programme.aspx?univers=10&programme=SFAARGN13&tri=prix_appel&page=1
snow report
hwwwest, just in case you're not entirely sure the UCPA is right next door to the train station with just a car park between them.
snow report
They sent an answer mail and they wrote that there is no student discount for short breaks because I bought 5 days(26-30) btw I can not see my holiday option anymore I think I was the last one who bought that option. 50€ is not less for just one night staying because all inclusive 5 days is 350€. Btw I saw Les Contamines option between 31dec-3jan and the hotel standarts are better than argentiere. Is it really close the Argentiere and is there anybody who knows it because I am thinkg about extra 4 days. I know I look greedy for skiing Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy