Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC R4 "The Choice" today 24/11/09

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Listeners may (or may not!) be interested to know that the guest on tomorrow's program is Cathy O'Dowd

A number of Cathy's pics taken in Klosters/Davos last January are on the mediaZone

A very interesting woman who has climbed Everest twice Shocked - something I shall never do being a deal more ancient than Brian Blessed (I expect) Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-11-09 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yoda, what fabulous photos!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I expect the programme is about the incident where she came across a dying climber and did not help. This actually featured in my MBA ethics class, where an interesting debate ensued about the degree to which you should risk yourself to save others. Mind you it is easy to be judgemental at 100 asl if you have never been up to 20000 ft.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Choice is always worth listening to, generally very interesting even if initially you don't think it will be.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndrewBailey, yes, be interesting to see how it comes across on the programme having had the story from the horse's mouth (as I sure she won't mind me saying).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, yes, annoyingly Cathy's are much better than mine Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great girl - met her many years ago in a climbing shop in Johannesburg before her Everest days. Although tiny, the South African climbing scene was proper intense and whenever they visited Europe, they'd show us up with their sheer enthusiasm. I guess skiing = same.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndrewBailey, True... I've been in the odd nasty situation and have witnessed someone panic and run away into a storm with the only map after 24hrs on the go. Until people have been through it themselves they should hold back armchair judgements... not saying the subject shouldn't be discussed though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndrewBailey wrote:
I expect the programme is about the incident where she came across a dying climber and did not help. This actually featured in my MBA ethics class, where an interesting debate ensued about the degree to which you should risk yourself to save others. Mind you it is easy to be judgemental at 100 asl if you have never been up to 20000 ft.

Listened to the programme this morning. From her account, it's not true to say she did not help. Although her sherpas thought she was wasting her time, she went over to the dying climber (an American lady) who said "Please don't leave me" Shocked However, the dying climber wasn't coherent, she just repeated 3 phrases "Please don't leave me", "Why are you doing this to me?" and "I'm an American". When she was found the climber was in an awkward inverted position. It took the party (using oxygen) about 10 minutes to get the dying climber into an upright position, but it became clear that she had no strength remaining and could not stand. It was impossible for them to carry her all the way down. They had to leave her. As Cathy said, she then had another choice - whether to carry on with the ascent, or to go back down. She said she no longer felt like making the ascent, so she went back down (although her sherpas carried on with the ascent).

Cathy said the situation she was in is generally understood by people in climbing circles, but she sometimes receives anonymous e-mails along the lines of "You b!tch, you left someone to die!" rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy