Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear all.

I have two teenager boys, intermediate level. I am thinking about going to Val d'Isere. Is it too crowded? Is it charming? Is it good for light intermediates? Does Val d'Isere make you to feel comfortable? Is it noisy at nights?

Thank you.
Antonio Retamal
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on where you stay. I've been there twice, staying in La Daille, which is about 2km from Val town itself. However, I prefer it there - everything is within easy reach, including restuaruants, bars, shops, ski-school meeting points, and, most importantly, four lifts within 400m.

I think it's a superb resort with massively varied skiing. You'll be able to stay on nice wide blues above Solaise, or get on to nice, progressive reds such as Orange and OK, and head over to the glacier for extremely quiet slopes. Does it make me feel comfortable - in what way? The Borsat piste is "comfortable", but Face certainly isn't.

Vert back in to La Daille can be an back bottom at 4pm, though.

Id'd go back in a heart beat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The town itself is quite nice. It's not a concrete jungle by any means, and has a pretty welcoming feel - it's the sort of scene that would fit on to a box of Christmas chocolates. If you've got the Silverlight plug-in installed, I've put a Deep Zoom imageset of VdI's town centre here. That was taken during the first week of March this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

it's the sort of scene that would fit on to a box of Christmas chocolates.

Hmm. Not sure about that - it's not a concrete jungle but it would be hard to describe it as "charming" in the chocolate box sense.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By "comfortable" I meant atmosphere in the town. Would a family feel ok in the evening in the town? Is it more for "party hungry" people?
I am thinking to get accomodation around Round Point in Val d'Isere. Is it a good place to stay?

Thank you for any replays.

Antonio
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
retamal, you'd be fine. There's the "Warm Up" bar that will be full of irritating Jack Wills types after 9pm, but I doubt you'd ever feel threatened or uncomfortable walking back to your accommodation at 11pm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As hyweljenkins says it is a superb resort with massively varied skiing. I would add reliable snow cover and lots of opportunities for intermediates to progress.

Plus the up and over lift , first rate mountain restaurants , tons of runs , etc etc. I was put off going for some time by the Hooray Henri(etta) image . Whilst there is an element of that , the resort more than makes up for that on the positives.

John
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I last went I was an intermediate teenage boy, technically i still am, and its my favourute resort I've ever been to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
retamal,
Quote:

I am thinking about going to Val d'Isere. Is it too crowded?

It's popularity makes it busier than a lot of other resorts personally i would say the crowded description fits in French school holiday time, outside this time it is not too bad.
Quote:

Is it charming?

It is not as ugly as some purpose built resorts I would not go so far as to call it charming ,though it is clearly a matter of taste.
Quote:

Is it good for light intermediates?

Not sure what a light intermediate is am I a heay intermediate. wink seriously I would have thought most teenage boys would love it with loads of skiing for most standards nervous skiers can find even the 'easy' runs back to resort a bit intimidating.
Quote:

Does Val d'Isere make you to feel comfortable?

Not my favourite place but definately not uncomfortable I have been several times.

My main caveat would be that if you are going in French school holidays it is crowded, it is also one of the most expensive resorts in Europe, you don't get as much bang for your buck on accommodation or food prices as elsewhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My favourite ski resort in Europe by far ( note I have never been in the school holidays - Jan and March) , We have had week there for the last four and i am a little worried that one of our weeks this year is not there. If we forget about the skiing for a minute , they have in my opinion the best free bus service with the Red and Blue buses serving Le Daile right through to Le Fornet , great restuarants both on piste and in town, Apres Ski , the folie douce on the way back to le Daile for a 3pm beer and amazing outdoor music , the Morris bar for a pint , live band , rugby or footie and a game of pool or Dick's if you want to try and see the sun come up and there are loads more. Then the imprtant stuff , I still believe Espace Killy has the best overall skiing , from easy greens so high you can see for miles , to cruising the reds and blues from Le Fornet to Le Breviere, to skiing world famous down hills; Le face and this year the Ladies World Cup Down hill on Solaise which has to have some of the NARROWEST , iciest , steepest sections ive ever'ed skied , you realy dont have much option but to take the fall line and pray. I did worry initially about the runs home into Val , Le Fornet or Le Daille (not the easiest run home for youngsters) but they just get on with it and end up racing you down, but for teenagers these will be no prblem as long as they have not sneaked a beer in on the way down. For the kid in us all (our love it) , the terrain park between Val and Tignes is superb. There is also some fantastic off piste , and depending on conditions you dont have to go far , but when you want to go back country get a guide , our favourite is over in Le Fornet then traverssing over and dropping pretty steeply into Col Pers where you are suddenly in a world without others , solitude , silence and to be honest for about 48 hours after you hate piste skiing its so good. Ski Schools for the kids are great and loads to choose from , we have used Evolution and Oxygene and both were great and too be honest the best resort schools attract and retain the best , our kids have had great lessons and can vouch for Jean Maire at Evolution who put No. 1 son Tom at 8 through his paces at le stade in Val Claret ....
http://youtube.com/v/UW5UDwU1u.

Finally , Retamal . your teenageres will love it , its not noisey , it is not a concete jungle and your kids will love it. Go and enjoy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
note sure what happened with the link , but here is the correct one ....
http://youtube.com/v/UW5UDwU1uPA
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

I'm going to Val D'Isere for the first time for a long weekend at the start of December (delighted to hear the glowing reviews above!) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to rent ski gear? Thought I'd piggy back on to this topic.

I'll be staying at this place (http://hundredhills.com/) so somewhere that isn't a monstrous trek to the other side of town would be great. Apparently that is located in the Le Châtelard area of Val d'Isere.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Slipper,

Chatelard is the area that is through the tunnel from the town centre, up near the Solaise cable car station. The closest place to hire skis gear is at the Rond Point (where the buses terminate and turn around just where they come out of the road tunnel).

If it's there this year Snowberry was one of the hire shops in that area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slipper, http://www.ski-republic.com/ has a shop near Rond Point. Members of my group have used them a couple of years running - no complaints.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all that looks like plenty to go on!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy