Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head camera

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Sorry if there is already a thread discussing this but my boyfriend is desperate to have a camera he can either attach to something or has a head band so he film skiing down slopes when we go to Morzine in February.

Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations etc im not very techy and see some advertsied at £29.99 up to £300 and i just dont know what to buy.

I thought it would make a nice christmas present

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Toni
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You takes your choice, pays your money, and gets what you pays for.

Having never used them I'd still bet that anything in the £29.99 range will be rubbish. Crappy sensor coupled with a crappy processor running on a crappy storage interface. At the other end of the scale you can get HD models that'll give you rather good footage.

If you're after something that'll record the trip for fun, this or this look like sensible entry-level options. More expensive, but this has lasers...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread has a few recommendations

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1011678&highlight=helmet+camera#1011678
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The go pro ones are pretty good for an all in one set up. Seem to be at least as good/better than my archos/4kam set up mentioned in that other thread. Other all in one cams seems a bit crap.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el nombre, the thing with the GoPro ones is that you'll look like a spaz while wearing it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VIO POV 1 or 1.5. Pricey but worth it. Does he have a video camera already? If so you may be able to get a decent bullet cam to hook up to it..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Everyone's a winner then. Boyfriend gets a helmet cam and Tonsky gets to laugh at him looking like a knob.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre, Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
this is pretty good - http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/helmetcam

and you look less like a teletubby than with the go pro thingy...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tonsky, I've got an Oregon Action Camera A2K (I think). It's old hat now. The results aren't that good. I would compare the quality with that of an average webcam. I paid around £80 a couple of years ago. Second season the rubber headband strap split. Luckily I noticed before heading up the slopes! I haven't used it since.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, have you tried one or seen the output directly? That's the one I refer to above, but I can only find YouTube HD quality videos at best.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought my setup from http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/ and it's never let me down - bored many people to tears with boarding movies, though the blooper reels are always amusing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Vee-Cam, best helmet cam out there.

I've tried many times, on both land and in the water, but I just can't break it.

www.vee-cam.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thankyou so much all of you that really is great and gives me a few to look through before i decide which one to buy

El Nombre you are so right he always crashes when im not around so your right im hoping he will catch a few funny moments on it
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was looking for a helmet cam but didn't want a combined camera/recorder as you can't set up them up direction wise as there's no viewfinder. I also don't have a video camera to use as a recorder (& don't want one due to weight & cost) so what I needed was a lipstick cam with a small light seperate recording unit with a screen for set-up & viewing. I walked in to the ski show at the NEC the other week & saw/bought exactly what I was looking for: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/mini-dvr-2-helmet-camera.html

The guys at Dogcam had the above set-up on a freestyler who was part of the demo team there & the footage was incredibly stable & very sharp. I tried a number of mounting options but the best option for ease/speed of use was their goggle strap mount. The camera & goggle mount weighs just 57g & the recording/payback unit weighs just 92g including the battery. The battery is supposedly good for 3 hours of recording. There's no software disc supplied as the unit is designed to run off windows mediaplayer but the guys recommended running the system on VLC Media Player which is a free download off http://www.videolan.org

The kit I bought included the recording/playback unit, camera, microphone, goggle strap mount, two batteries, battery charger, two 8gig memory cards, TV leads, USB lead & a little remote control unit to activate the start/stop/record so that the main unit can be tucked away within ya jacket - all in for £270. I've only used mine around the house but so far it looks really good & is very easy to use.
latest report
spyderjn wow that sounds good especially with all the bits it came with thankyou so much for your help
snow conditions
tonsky, boys and gadgets, oh dear. rolling eyes

If your man is any good with video etc and knows what he's about, I would take him with you and let him choose what he wants. If, on the other hand, he is your bog standard male dazzled by the shiny technogizmos, I would buy him something cheapish plus a bottle of good malt whisky. The whisky will last longer than the enthusiasm for the camera. Laughing
snow report
lizzard i love your thinking he likes to think he knows what he is on about but im not convinced hehe however one of the other guys e ski with does know his techno stuff so ill show him this thread and im sure he will help me make a decision and if all else fails ill have the bottle of malt whiskey or southern comfort in his case ready and waiting hehe

thankyou all your great Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I've only used mine around the house

got any choice output to show us then, spyderjon? You could post one of tuning skis.

Just to prove that it's not just boys, I have an HD camcorder and have done a bit of hand held filming (on v easy runs!) but I might look into that "bullet cam" idea. It is a drag to stop, get the backpack off, get the camera out, stand around trying to decide which of the red anoraks coming down the hill is your Very Own One. Any suggestions for a good (cheap!) bullet cam? I've never heard of them - will go and do a search.

I noticed, by the way, on my easy run film that I appeared to going much faster on the film than it was in reality. If you're really moving it must be incredible!

Incidentally I have only just started editing videos - I am the veriest beginner at Studio Pinnacle. But I have already learnt that you need to delete at least 80% of what you filmed. First time round. Then delete some more. wink
snow conditions
Just one thing to note, what i found was the sample vids on the companies websites are often a lot better quality than what the average joe gets. I'm not sure how but thats just how it seems to work out from what i've seen. Often worth searching youtube or vimeo for the headcam and see what comes up. Vimeo being preferable as the compression ins't as bad as pootube. Thos vids are more likely to be what you'll end up with.
snow report
pam w wrote:
.....got any choice output to show us then, spyderjon?.....

Sorry no, I've deleted everything but when I get a minute I'll try & put something together.

Quote:
...You could post one of you tuning skis....

That's the excuse I used so I could buy it through my business wink. I plan to take some tuning footage as they do a really lightweight 'headband' mount (designed to go under police helmets) that would give a great tuner's eye view of edges being worked on etc.
ski holidays
el nombre, good points. I've never yet seen anything worth watching from one of these headcam thingies.
ski holidays
I manged to get an Oregon ATC2K for £25 when ToysRUs were selling them off, they normally go for nearer £100. Quality is not great but I'm happy at that price. Tried it on the bike a couple of times and will give it a run out in Tignes in 2 weeks.
snow report
Lizzard, never seen anything worth watching form a headcam?
Erik Roner POV - Alaska Helmet Cam 2009 from Erik Roner
http://www.vimeo.com/7651064 you clearly haven't looked vewry hard
latest report
rambotion, better than average, but hardly up to much really.
snow report
Lizzard, in what way? In your opinion, what is "up to much"?
snow report
Lizzard, what about this one,
http://youtube.com/v/1GHS42gmJUQ nice and compact too.
snow conditions
you could always just tape a DSLR to your head and produce something rather nice like this:

http://live.tetongravity.com/_Provo_P.O.V/video/731059/75233.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like Pam W would be interested in recommendations for a separate'bullet' cam to plug in to my existing video camera.
snow conditions
Arno, that's amazing. Expensive set up though.
snow report
Lizzard, Dude that's Roner, id love to see you ski next to him! Not up to much, geez, did you not see the skydive? He went pretty deep. Id say about 300ft and managed to capture ground rush in a camera which is rare.STFU.
snow report
Liveezy, the skiing may be spiffing, but my point is that you can't exactly see it to best effect via a headcam. I think they're a pointless gimmick, frankly.
snow report
Lizzard, fair enough, im glad you weren't dissing my hero! Your right, POV footage is still poor. Although the HD ones this year are a step forward. The video that ARNO posted was amazing, shame it wasn't a true head cam. The new Sony HXR-MC1P HD Action Camera looks muts nutz. Shame about the 2k price tag. Gonna have to wait a few years for the prices to come down.
snow report
I have to agree with Lizzard, I've largely been unimpressed by the majority of headcam POV footage I've seen, despite some of it being in incredible terrain and featuring fantastic technical ability (and cojones). I don't think it's about technical quality of footage, I just don't get the 3D feeling and the rush I would expect (and which I get from other, either traditional or modern footage type).

If anything, the best headcam POV stuff I've seen is not about near-vertical slopes but in light trees and most of all where it incorporates some sort of story. Such as the Star Chute video which someone re-posted here a while ago, from an original TGR post.
latest report
well my HD video camera doesn't have the relevant AV inputs - so that's that idea down the drain. I wanted one for filming the grandchildren without having to get the backpack off and get hold hands, not me jumping off cliffs.

I get my professional cameramen to do those shots. Little Angel
snow conditions
pam w, to be honest they're not really that great for filming other people with unless you follow right behind. If not you'll have to look where you're going and if you're not moving at all then you'll want to use a proper vid camera. Better quality and you can see where you're pointing it and you don't have to keep you're head pointed directly at the subject. You'll be surprised at how much you don't look at what you're meant to be filming. Head cams aren't reall designed as a replacement for video cameras.
latest report
And that video with the guys holding the camera is sweet, but whats the point in wearing an avalung if you're going to wear a balaclava? Or is it just a hydration system with a fancy rigid mouth piece?
latest report
There are very few video cameras avaialable with AV in which is needed to connect an external camera.
snow report
el nombre, cos its cold?

This is one of the better POV edits i have seen. Sage rips. Camera is VIO POV 1.5
Retallack BC Redbull cold rush POV 2009 from Sage Cattabriga-Alosa
http://vimeo.com/3915104

The one place they really work best is the trees as it adds definition and contrast to an otherwise all white screen.
ski holidays
I think there is some way to go with realising the potential of POV. It also works well in a confined space - so trees like Liveezy says or tight couloirs. Think there is a Jeremy Nobis straighline in a TGR film from a few years ago which is pretty cool because you can see the walls of the couloir rushing past and you get a real feel for the speed. The Roner clip would probably better if it cut away to a more traditional angle from time to time to give a better context

I'm talking like I know the first thing about editing... which I don't rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy