Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying ski equipment. Is it worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alex Heney said:
Quote:

Sorry, but that is just not true.

I used to think the same, until I tried tightening the clips over my toes a notch or two. It made a significant difference to the precision of my control.

Plus, it makes you less likely to clench your toes, which is a bad habit I had when I was nervous or skiing close to my limits.

You could well be right, I don't claim to be a boot expert. It's just what I've been told, and noticed myself. I can't say I've ever noticed toe clenching though.

I'm not saying this is the case, but are your boots definitely properly fitting? (Not doubting you, just for my own boot related education lol)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999 wrote:
Alex Heney said:
Quote:

Sorry, but that is just not true.

I used to think the same, until I tried tightening the clips over my toes a notch or two. It made a significant difference to the precision of my control.

Plus, it makes you less likely to clench your toes, which is a bad habit I had when I was nervous or skiing close to my limits.

You could well be right, I don't claim to be a boot expert. It's just what I've been told, and noticed myself. I can't say I've ever noticed toe clenching though.

I'm not saying this is the case, but are your boots definitely properly fitting? (Not doubting you, just for my own boot related education lol)

I think they are. But the front of my feet definitely had some movement until I tightened up the front buckles a notch or two..

If they were only there to hold the shell closed regardless of how snug a fit that gave, then they wouldn't need multiple settings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think boots are an essential purchase personally. As has been said, you spend a long time in them, uncomfortable boots makes for a bad trip.

I have my own skis too now, end of season sales are a wonderful thing, they have paid for themselves several times over.

And I don't mind paying a bit for the skis to go on the plane, it's worth it on the first morning (or afternoon) - straight out on the slopes.

Last two trips to France, skis went free on the plane anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would recommend boot purchase. One of our guys had some heat moulded to his bunions and said they were the best ski boots he'd ever had. I think if you can have them moulded to your feet then they will outlive any ski purchase. Skis may come and go but good boots carry on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys for all the advice. I've followed the overwhelming advice and bought two pairs of boots for my wife and myself. We bought them from S&R kensington. Based on the shape of my feet the fitter recommended Atmoic Hoax 100. They fitted perfectly from the first try (my heel was not moving at all and they felt pretty comfortable as well) and only had minor adjustments to do.
My wife bought Atomic Hawx 80, which fited her pretty narrow feet and heels with also minor adjustments. Let's see how it feels after a couple of days skiing. We're headed to Courchevel on January 7th.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boots always worth it! Glad you got sorted!

I/we are out in Val Thorens from 9th Jan for a week! If you want to ski together give us a shout!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your own boots for sure. Then I do not know if anyone has considered this, but when renting you can usually at no cost change to different style skis during the week. For example last year I was in Zermatt having nice weather for three days and enjoying my stiff GS skis and well groomed pistes. Then the snowing started. And the GS skis just were not the perfect for the 30-50 cm of powder which quickly became moguls. So I changed to lighter and wider all mountain skis. At no cost Happy Or if you on one day want to go off piste, you might want to have different skis than when racing with your friends.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy