Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Full Season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So basically I am heading to Vars to work the whole 09/10 season soon and I need to buy a full set of ski gear before I go. I have read the newby's guide on this forum but I am still very confused as to what to buy. I am looking to spend under £300 for the jacket and pants. Firstly, what sort of waterproofing do I need? Is 10k enough to keep me dry, as I am a novice skier so may well spend some time on my back bottom. Also what brands are good to aim for? Is it really worth the extra money for some of the "better" brands.

The surfanic rattail pants are online for £80 and the Surfanic Ceasar jacket is selling for £90.. Is this a good deal, and also will kit in this price range last a whole season without falling apart?
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/Surfanic_Rattail_Pant__2010__Bar_Check.html
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/Surfanic_Caesar_Jacket__2010__Pixel_Camo.html

I have also found some Helly Hansen Flare Ski Pants for £70 which use the Helly Tech material. Is this a good option?
http://www.skimania.co.uk/Item-0-0-cat-4-brand-151-Helly_Hansen_Flare_Ski_Pant.aspx

I am currently very confused about all the different materials and brands. Some general advice before I go into town looking for gear would be great. Finally, is it a good idea to buy pants and a jacket made by the same brand? Is it better to have compatible ski skirt etc?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can get around the Bicester Village area there's a pretty good Helly Hansen retail outlet, you're get some 20k/20k top spec gear for about £99 for the jacket, £80 pants. I've been riding for Helly for a few years now and they're allways hands down some of the best combo of price/tech. Personally I would'nt skimp on your gear, lets face it you're going to be in it about 5 days a week so I believe it really pays to get the best you can afford, Bicester Helly also have some outstanding deals on Smith eyewear and Drop and Gordini gloves going aswell as a huge amount of baselayers/socks etc.

As for the actual tech rating...depends how hard you ride and sweat! 10k breathable is generally ok but if I start working hard I need something a bit more tech, usually 15k/20k breathable is the min I go for with Helly, whereas 10k waterproof is enough unless you litterally are sitting in the snow for a long time!

If you get a bit more knowledgeable the TK Maxx has some surprising bargains aswell but there's a lot of shite in there so be carefull, maybe try www.bargainboards.co.uk (think thats it??) for some good quality accessories etc.....

But if you're trying out some hardwear remember get those ski/board boots sorted well before you go away, you won't regret it!! Thats everything I can think of for the mo, any q's then fire away, and enjoy!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For working a season I would have thought probably the most important items are;
> decent boots for all day use (not whilst on the piste)
> decent jacket which can double for either piste or village use.

Yes you need the ski/borading stuff and buy what suits your budget because let's face it if the weathers carp you won't go up the mountain... what's the point you've got 100 days posisble skiing!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
100 days whilst working.hmm.

Don't seat it too much 10/10 will probably suffice. I would worry more about getting some well fitted boots and a ski that you will still like after a few weeks of shredding.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try to get a look at gear "in the flesh" before you buy if possible. It's very easy to buy online expecting something well insulated and end up with little more than a shell which while very waterproof and breathable does not give you the warmth you expected.
I've got a pair of surfanic pants and am really happy with them. I think they were only £70 and i've worn them for four weeks so far and hope they'll get me through the season this year (Also doing my first one this year)
I'd agree with both of Marcellus's points above. If you can go and ski all day and still have warm boots and a jacket when you get down to pub level it'll leave you a lot happier. If you're looking at gear i'd get boots before ski's.
I'd agree that 10/10 is good enough for general purpose.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What the_doc said.

I sweat and wouldn't consider less that 20/20. I also work hard in my gear.

TKMAXX is great if you know what you are looking for. You don't want anything like Surfanic, you need laminated materials. You don't have to spend £££ to be comfortable but you do have to shop smart.

If you can go and buy some stuff you like at TK Maxx, post pictures / descriptions here and then you can return it if it's bad. The last time I was in one the brands I would trust were Orage, ACG (from Nike), Pantagonia & I think I saw some Marmot gear in one.

And WELCOME to snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're working in the Franou you'll sweat like a pig just getting up those sodding steps to the village. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyder Big Mountain Chute Pants, 20/20, just under £50 in TKMAXX.

Good option.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fr0sty, which TKMAXX?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off I go to TK Maxx tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, Watford mate.

In red, but as a plain colour - not the usual Spyder RED WITH YELLOW DOTS!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My old Surfanic trousers cost around £50 but they were warm and waterproof and lasted a good few years with only a vent zipper snapping off. Not as stylish as many brands but considerably cheaper without being cheap in the other sense. Far superior to budget brands like Trespass.

If peer pressure bothers you Spyder clothing is very technical but has a terrible image with younger ski resort workers in Europe.

There's a site like this one dedicated to resort workers at www.natives.co.uk . Lots of advice for first-timers in their articles and chat area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy