Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dual voltage waxing iron???

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided Im happy to invest the extra few ££ to get a proper waxing iron instead of a domestic iron, but whilst domestic travel irons are easily available in dual voltage (for US & Europe), I can't find a proper waxing iron that is dual voltage.

I've looked the Holmenkol, the Kunzmann, Burton, Dakine, and googled lots but they all seem to be available in 110 or 220, not as dual voltage.

Anyone know of a proper wax iron available in dual voltage for less than 40-50 quid ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gazzza, the reason they don't exist is because shipping such an iron to and fro across the Atlantic simply isn't worth it.

Get a nice one for home and either get a cheap one for the US (or learn to cork).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry I might be being thick, but what is the difference between lobbing my waxing iron in my snowboad bag when I fly to Geneva, or lobbing it in the same bag when I fly to Denver? ie. if I'm happy to lug to my iron & service kit to Europe on trips for a mid-week waxing then I'd happily pack it and lug it to the US.

And surely the difference in weight to make an iron dual voltage as opposed to single voltage is fairly small (a small transformer in the electronics) compared to the weight of the iron itslef (which is mostly the weight of the base plate). I'd think it would also be fairly cheap, as a good number of domestic travel irons are dual voltage these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gazzza, AFAIK there ain't a dual voltage model on the market.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not seen one either and I bought my Holmenkol one this year
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gazzza wrote:
Sorry I might be being thick, but what is the difference between lobbing my waxing iron in my snowboad bag when I fly to Geneva, or lobbing it in the same bag when I fly to Denver? ie. if I'm happy to lug to my iron & service kit to Europe on trips for a mid-week waxing then I'd happily pack it and lug it to the US.

It's cheaper to buy a US iron in the US than it is to pay the weight penalty, run the gamut of security questions, and pay upfront for the extra design, marketing, distribution, and stocking costs of such a super-specialty item.

Who would bother when the alternatives are so plentiful and either cheap or convenient?

- shop waxing is more convenient and can be found for ~$10
- One can buy US irons for $40 or less
- Corking regular wax without an iron costs less than $10
- Liquid and paste waxes cost less than $20 and don't require corking

?

Quote:

And surely the difference in weight to make an iron dual voltage as opposed to single voltage is fairly small (a small transformer in the electronics) compared to the weight of the iron itslef (which is mostly the weight of the base plate).

Don't even need that, a simple switch to switch a section of coil in or out of circuit would be enough. It's the design and marketing and stocking of such an obscure small-market item that costs money.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same with boot driers - I'd gladly buy a dual voltage pair but given stores here stock both 110 and 220v versions by the same manufacturer I struggle to believe in the marketing/stocking cost problem. 1 SKU better than 2 IMV
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As it happens, I'm doing some servicing today so I pulled my Toko TO-06 apart hoping to just find an option to just wire it differently to change voltage. No such luck! However, it did occur to me that a 220V iron will still work on 110V but it will be a bit slower to get up to temperature. Should be no problem if yours has two (or more) power settings.

Also bear in mind that US mains is, in fact, centre tapped 220V so, with a bit of jiggery pokery, 220V is available. This is how many kitchen appliances are wired.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could of course use a 110v version and wax twice as fast in countries with 220v. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, a good question. It would be fairly easy to knock up a 110v - 220v converter transformer, but it would weigh a little bit to take with you. I'm guessing that the 60Hz versus 50Hz wouldn't cause any problem as the first step in the iron would be to convert this to DC.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfj197 wrote:
...as the first step in the iron would be to convert this to DC.

No it won't. An iron is just a resistive element.

But yes, it doesn't care what frequency the mains is at.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis wrote:
An iron is just a resistive element.

Ah, fair enough - I made an assumption as I hadn't actually taken one apart but yes, that would figure. In which case a converting lead could very easily be manufactured with a toroidal transformer.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mfj197, toroidal transformer? Laughing

Again, why would you need to? Rampant over-design.

Power goes as V^2/R. Simply /switch/ a portion of the heating coil -out- of the series circuit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, I'm not at all sure you'll find a heating element you can /switch/ a portion out of! Although I'm not an expert on iron design and haven't taken one apart to have a look.

Toroidal transformer over-design?? Laughing Not really! Although I think we're just trying to find electric solutions to the OP's problem when it might not be required ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm still not sure why you'd go to the trouble of a toroidal over the traditional solution of an autotransformer where the primary and secondary share part of the winding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some autotransformers are toroidal - it simply refers to the type of core (i.e. a ring, or toroid). Toroidal transformers are the most efficient (or at least they were, back when I was studying them, but that was a wee while ago!).
latest report
mfj197, very simple: take 4 110V heater coils, have a switch to use either 1 coil or all 4 in series. That's how cheap dual-voltage travel irons and hair dryers do it.

Putting ANY transformer into an iron, including a toroidal, is overdesign. No matter what you use, you can't get around core size (and core weight and core temp) limitations at 50/60Hz.

Of course, I think packing an iron for one or two mid-week waxing sessions is already too much luggage for not enough benefit, as compared to a proper saturating preparation at home and corking or shop waxing while away.

Quote:
Although I think we're just trying to find electric solutions to the OP's problem when it might not be required ...

Exactly. All the OP really needs to maintain skis while away is their regular wax, one of these:

<-synthetic cork

and some upper body exercise.
latest report
comprex, I think we were talking at cross-purposes - I was trying (in a light-hearted way) to find a way the OP could use an existing iron whereas you were redesigning the iron for the manufacturer. But you are correct, it is impractical to use a transformer for the job simply because of its size and weight - see my first post.
ski holidays
mfj197 wrote:
comprex, I think we were talking at cross-purposes -

Agreed. Sorry. Embarassed

Quote:
I was trying (in a light-hearted way) to find a way the OP could use an existing iron

Oh! Why didntcha say so? wink You're right, pretty durn easy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy