Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If I wear a pair of boots which have one of the smallest boot sole lengths available for my size of foot, would it be logical to have the bindings on my skis drilled so that there was more room for adjustment for longer boot lengths in future?

i.e. Traditionally the bindings are mounted with boot centre, which then leaves a (roughly) equivalent portion of fore/aft adjustment, dependant upon the binding.

Would it make a difference to the ski if I had the binding adjustment reduced to near its minimum, and then drilled for (what would have been a longer boot), so that it would accomodate a boot change at a later point. Or are boot sole lengths between manufacturers not so different as to warrant this much forward thinking?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fr0sty, not sure i understand why you would want to allow for your feet getting bigger unless you are a very young kid. but say you have two different types of boots and the sole on one was longer than the other the difference in boot sole length between sizes isnt that great and is very roughly about 10mm per shoe size. i would doubt you would have 15mm of difference between boots for the same person (if they are fit correctly!)

i would in that case drill the mounting point using the bigger boot which will in effect place the toe piece further forward on the ski if you spot the boot centre line on the manufacturers mark. Most ski manufacturers set the bindings aft and studies have shown that decent skiers who can carve tend to prefer to be more forward on the ski.

a 1 cm variation, unless you are very good, is pretty difficult to notice much difference, but a few cm's for or aft can be very noticible.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boot sole lengths can vary by a few mm across manufacturers but a normal mounting should leave room to tolerate this and go a couple of mondo sizes up or down. It can depend on the binding though so best to check with your ski technician.

If you're thinking about resale and have very small feet it may be worth getting the bindings set to their smallest when mounting as you suggest so that more potential purchasers can fit in them after you without having to redrill the skis.

For your personal use I wouldn't consider it necessary. It's quite rare for people to drop more sizes than their binding can tolerate and even rarer for them to go up too many sizes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy