Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you ever stopped to think how much it costs?

Poster: A snowHead
andyph, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ph, so relaxing , have a nice aperitif or three while dinner cooks. Laze on the bed with a book while kids watch a DVD, and just stick them in the bath and put their PJ's on .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was just having lovely thoughts of snow and beer.

and the family. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gryfon wrote:
An essential winter dose of Vit D.

Skiing is purely for medicinal purposes Very Happy

Therefore the cost is immaterial compared to ones health.

I happen to share that view 100%! Very Happy And I would add to that the mental health.

Ultimately, we LIVE to enjoy life, don't we? So if skiing is the most enjoyable activity, isn't that why we need to make money in the first place (so we could use it to get what we really want)?

This thread is a very good companion of the "Rat Race" thread in Apres. Instead of thinking of the "cost", one should always be thinking about the "benefit" that comes out of it. And I'm even half way serious about that! Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

An essential winter dose of Vit D.

As I live in Aberdeen I should get my skiing holiday on the NHS wink

I saw a poster at work last week on Vitamin D and adult asthma, basically saying that there is no correlation between adult vitamin D levels and asthma. But they had used two trial sites Aberdeen and Norwich. A very high % of aberdonians in the study had Vit D levels in the insufficiency level and a significant % had no detectable Vit D Shocked . For Norwich all had detectable levels of Vit D and the % in the insufficiency level was much lower.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After many, many years of scrimping and saving to enjoy my hobbies... I am now beginning to relax a little about the costs. Being a big kid I've stayed single and now all my disposable income goes on skiing, motorbiking tours, shooting, fishing, climbing, mountain biking and travelling. Sometimes I miss not settling down, other times I enjoy playing the field. I'm very lucky in that I can play a part in my friend's and brother's families so get all the fun of teaching kids about the world but can hand them back later when they get troublesome.

But could I actually be getting broody... damn... grass is always greener rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 21-11-09 22:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, you sound like me. I'm a very doting aunt to my two nephews and nieces and although I was never maternal I sometimes wonder what might have been. But being an auntie or uncle is great, you get all the fun, you get to spoil them rotten but you don't bear the responsibility or have to clean up the mess!

I really wish I could take my eldest nephew skiing as I'm sure he'd love it, but sadly not possible. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

although I was never maternal I sometimes wonder what might have been.

For me, such thoughts only last for a second or two! Very Happy

I'm sure I would had enjoyed the family. But it would have also meant giving up a lot of other "little luxuries". Wink Since I can't have everything, I decided early on children were one of those that I'd rather give up in order to have the rest. I just never feel very strongly about children so I'm quite happy to only have "a little bit" of them instead of having them all the time! Smile

Watching my friends who choose to HAVE EVERYTHING, I know I took the lazy way out. It COULD be done. But I don't relish the pressure and the anxiety that comes with trying to achieve the most. So I'm ok to be a happy "loser". Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, abc, I know what you mean. Although I love kids I just don't really feel the need to breed myself... could be the biological background but let's face it... there's enough of us around.

I love being able to indulge in all my whims and have more interests than my whole office put together. Plus... I'm only just responsible for myself... never mind anyone else Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, Scarpa, get a room, get it on, have a baby.... wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wooo, queen scarpa baby's, perhaps the first true snowhead baby's NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
0.o the amount of Over time I`m putting in this year I`m going for 3 holidays and thats without trips up to Scotland skiing... haha and my prep at hillend. I dont even want to think about the cost and I know as soon as i get there I`m gonna start haemorrhaging money all ovwer the shop. Tip, take things like deoderant with you and soap, prices are ludicrous now. I was in Mallorca earlier this year and they were wanting 7 euro something for a bottle of lynx Shocked Boxes of wine are also beneficial Madeye-Smiley
I`m thinking I can get one trip done for about 500 brick all in, not got anything yet though so we`ll soon see NehNeh

WOOHOO c`mon the snow!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill, I haven't read all the other comments, but I have always thought I work to ski. And it's way more fun than some things. About 10 years ago when I was counting up the £3,000 or so I'd spent over the season (~35 days on snow) and a colleague confessed that his Man U season ticket had cost £3,6k - and he didn't even get to play...

andyph, what a sound idea!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, jwhiteley1, lol! I'm some way past all that ta! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now i've got 2 kids I need to work out the exact cost including "everything" and it's not pretty reading ! This year about £7k for 2 weeks, but hopefully it will be epic and be worth it ! Frightening though... the cost of the kids childcare / ski school is more than most people's holidays !
ski holidays
I feel better now knowing that it isn't only me who is almost insanely obsessed. Hadn't thought of driving more economically up to now, but there must be a few quid a year to be saved there.

Some of you have made a life decision not to have kids so that you can have more time and money to yourselves. I have two kids, and I would ask you one question.......

Is it too late to give them back? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I honestly am afraid to work it out. I do it as cheaply as I can, within reason, almost always self catering, and fortunately don't need to go into debt to do so. Skiing is one of my main pleasures in life and I earn money so that I can spend it.
ski holidays
Obsessed by it, yes, luv it, yes, quick fix, yes, long term fix, yes, beneficial to health, yes, now what was this thread about, oh yeah, the cost of skiing?

After other half's very serious illness a few years ago it made us re-assess our priorities.

We try not to think of the cost too much, hate sitting on a beach in the hot sun and only seem to truly come alive in the mountains (sad eh)

Our annual trip (sometimes two) to the Mountains is a non negotiable event which we hope to continually enjoy for many more years
snow conditions
There was a particularly vacuous piece in the Telegraph today, looking at whether you have have an "affordable" family ski holiday (whatever that might mean). The article looked at Montgenevre (sensible enough) and some nice-sounding self catering apartments (ditto). But the piece didn't actually say how much the ski holiday cost. It did say that the apartments were from £299 a head in January but even that figure was spurious as that assumed full occupancy and it seemed from the article that the family had not fully occupied the apartment - probably by quite a long way. Despite the ritualistic sentence about the value of the euro it didn't say how much things like food, lift passes or lessons had cost.

Fairly total waste of time, really. The OH chose to get the Telegraph on the strength of the article on Iraq on the front page. rolling eyes
ski holidays
only last year when it hit me that a part-time extra job I gave up had actually been subsidising skiing and summer hols...but I got over it. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Thornyhill, No, I don't care Madeye-Smiley
latest report
we are caught in a trap. Having taken children skiing when younger, they caught the bug.. They cannot afford to ski now with mortgages, uni debts ,babies etc, so we now take them!! OK a lot of laughs, and nice to be together again but we will not be able to afford it on our pension! Still, Gordon will take what we have left...but he cannot take memories Twisted Evil
latest report
margaret wrote:
we are caught in a trap. Having taken children skiing when younger, they caught the bug.. They cannot afford to ski now with mortgages, uni debts ,babies etc, so we now take them!! OK a lot of laughs, and nice to be together again but we will not be able to afford it on our pension! Still, Gordon will take what we have left...but he cannot take memories Twisted Evil

OK - I have it sorted - I am giving my kids away and adopting Margaret as my new mommy. How many trips can I expect before your pension kicks in and I have to give you back as well? Very Happy
latest report
margaret, Oh for ****sake you've done it now! the Pre-budget will feature a new tax on memories!!!! Mad
snow conditions
robboj, Jordan just mis-read and nearly choked Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Iski, I always thought it would be a good idea to ask a bank to mortage my life.

Can be arranged.

Tricky part is, Im not sure corresponding terms would be legal , in case of default?

Which is why generally you can get these kind of terms from people without banking licenses. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
"Have you ever stopped to think how much it costs?"

First rule of skiing: DON'T!! Laughing

yup - sheer folly to even ponder such deliberations. Just put a ski DVD on and open a beer ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offspring are 30, 29 and 26. Still come with us with their partners and children. I like their company but not the price. How do I get out of it?
ski holidays
Beats me how I've ever afforded it. I keep feeloing like a bunch of travel agents and hotelliers will rush up to me wiha bill some day and say "Oi! you forgot to pay for this lot".

Still, my current career move allows me to keep the chnage one time in three and I get a free pizza on work nights. so it looks all set for next season.
latest report
margaret, Get them to pay for it... it surely must be their turn by now Laughing
latest report
Ah, how things change. Here I was a few months ago wishing I could afford a second ski trip, and next season I'm doing it! Reaping the rewards of having two jobs! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Become a ski instructor and get paid to go skiing. Toofy Grin
snow report
margaret, ours all come and stay at various times with us 35, 33, and 31 plus some grandchildren - but they pay for themselves to get there and lift passes etc. OK I feed all of us, but they often do some of the shopping and I would be feeding them if they were staying with us at UK home. We took them skiing when young and they all got the bug, but after that and through uni etc they have funded themselves. One son used to take a group of six to our chalet and that was certainly on a shoestring - and if any of them stay in our place without us but with a group of friends then they always leave a contribution to cover the cleaning and linen, power etc, and wouldn't want it any other way.
snow report
Ski holidays are expensive but not necessarily skiing. Here in the UK an annual pass at the scottish ski centres will have been superb value this year with over 140 days skiing available on Cairngorm, some of it world beating.

In the lake District £40 bought a season ticket last year with the tow running on 64 days . One Member did indeed manage to ski every one of those days which would have worked out at 62.5p per day, plus petrol money (except that he has a free life membership ..........for being so damn keen!).

Over at Yad Moss an adult pass for this next season is £45 (£10 for a 16 year old !). The tow ran for 50 days last season, so again potentially very cheap skiing indeed with the main cost being the fuel to get there.

Compared to almost any other paying sport, a days lift pass in the UK is very good value indeed. It is perhaps all the other extras that make it seem expensive snowHead
snow conditions
Peter S, a convincing argument...only thing being we'd probably have to lay out for a 4x4 to get over to Yadd Moss Laughing .... and get some skis.... Laughing [was very tempting though...], but the DH would get the perverse joy he has of changing into his gear in the car park Puzzled
snow report
Love this thread. We chose not to breed. DINKies to the end and love it that way. Some people need children, fair enough... we need three plus weeks skiing and boarding a year.
latest report
Snow & Sea - Ski & Boats

I cant take it with me and I'm not donating it to the MPs slush funds when I kick it ---- can only spend what I've got ... c'est la vie.
snow report
Agenterre, the magic word was written, and you logged in, wrong thread though. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65733&start=40#1568426
snow report
We haven't tried the boats, methinks we would probably like it lots and it would get very expensive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy