Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2010 - Chamonix or Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off with a few friends at Easter and will be booking flights to Geneva soon.

Just need your views on which of the two resorts to go to.

I went to Chamonix last easter for 4 nights, this was only my 2nd trip

We will be going for 5 nights this time
however we won't have use of a car, not sure how good the buses are in Chamonix
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how good skiers are you all, and are you planning any off piste?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I doubt any of us will be going off piste

mixed group of probably 6, various abilities
2 haven't skied for 10 years
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jasongibson100, whilst I am a big fan of Chamonix and surrounding areas you might find that Morzine offers more for all your group to do as well as being more connected in terms of skiing from place to place as it is in the large Portes Du Soleil ski area.

The buses in Chamonix can be ok (I haven't been there in Easter yet though), personally I feel if you don't have car it makes things a bit harder to get around.

Also you don't mention how much the ability of your group varies but if there is a large difference between the most and least experiecned skiers you may find that you want to do different areas of Chamonix i.e. Grand Montets for some and Les Houches or Le Tour for others, so you may not end up skiing together.

If you don't mind the bus and you are going to stay together as a group no matter what or it doesn't matter if you don't ski together all the time, then I would choose Chamonix - but I am biased Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jasongibson100, I ski in an area where the highest slopes are only fractionally above 2000m and we generally still have good skiing in early April - as we have an apartment there we don't pay to go elsewhere. However, if you are booking at this stage and looking at that area it might be better to base yourselves in Avoriaz (because of the altitude) though it's not as interesting a place as Morzine. Why have you just narrowed it down to Morzine and Chamonix (which I agree is probably not the ideal base for your group)? there are other good options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine

end of discussion
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I was more worried about the snow for our decission.

I was planning to go to Chamonix as I enjoyed it last year, different area on each day.

However I was chatting to a friend who I haven't seen in 2 years, bumped into him at last weekends bash at Hemel.
He told me he has a place in Morzine and will let us have it at a good price, hence my reason for choosing Morzine
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As for our levels, the two that haven't skied for 10 years have only had about 4 trips away.
They are looking at having a few lessons at Hemel before we go

So i'm guessing they will be mainly on blues

I'm still on mostly blues and some reds but will have had a week in Val Thorens in Jan with a weeks ski school
So I'm hoping to be able to tackle all reds and if i'm brave enough, the odd black Shocked

Only one of the group is happy to tackle most things
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jasongibson100, ditto what pam w says. Very feasible to travel up to Avoriaz daily from Morzine though as sounds like your accommodation may be there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morzine. Buses to and from airport are quite convenient too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you haven't been to Morzine before, and have use of a flat there for cheap, I'd go for it! Nice to go somewhere different, and you will have improved enough (probably!) after those two weeks that you'll be able to go back to Chamonix (or anywhere else of course) with a lot more terrain opened up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jasongibson100, having checked the dates for Easter, Morzine, no question. Much more suitable terrain for you to enjoy and much easier to get to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jasongibson100, your only likely disadvantage in Morzine/PDS is that more of the skiing is below 1,900m and so if it's warm, you'll have more opportunity to perfect your slush skiing skills... but there's a whole bundle of "ifs" loaded into that. No real issue with either decision and if you have cheap accom in Morzine, go for it.

Although I'm biased by having rental apartments in Chamonix, I love the PDS. (& I wouldn't bother staying in Avoriaz.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
jasongibson100, your only likely disadvantage in Morzine/PDS is that more of the skiing is below 1,900m and so if it's warm, you'll have more opportunity to perfect your slush skiing skills... but there's a whole bundle of "ifs" loaded into that.

Pah! Mere propoganda put about by the anti-PdS brigade. They'll also tell you that it's not really 650km of linked pistes and that you need a passport to ski into Switzerland.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jasongibson100, Morzine, Morzine, Morzine, gotta be Morzine.

Not biased at all Evil or Very Mad

OK I'm leavin Embarassed

Have PM'd you too.
snow report
andyph, uh? No. buddy you iz pwned. Most of the PDS skiing is below 1,900m. Also, it's not linked pistes. The passport thing, however, is a myth.

No-one could ever accuse me of being anti-PDS. Love it. Skied there more than anywhere else.

But snow does get slushy when it's warm.
snow report
The snow has been ok when I've skied PdS but it must surely suffer badly in a warm spell? From memory even Avoriaz only goes up to 2400? Chamonix has a much bigger altitude range. From Les Houches on bad weather days to Grands Montets which keeps the snow better than just about anywhere for late season skiing.
snow conditions
bobinch, exactly
snow report
How fare is Chamonix from Morzine/Les Gets? Is it feasible to get to other, higher, locations from a base in PDS?

Is it always slushing at this time or just sometimes slushy?

Thinking along the same lines and have access to a cheap apartment in Les Gets. Was considering booking for Easter (early this year - weekend of the 2nd) and wondered about just using it as a base and then driving around as needed. Especially if poor snow conditions.
snow report
Have skied PdS every year in April for the last 10 years. Never had a lack of snow! TBF it can get slushy in the afternoon, but it will everywhere late April!
ski holidays
jasongibson100, Im going to out to chamonix in easter with a group similar to yours so been watching the this thread with interest. I was there last feb and thought the bus system was good. Where are you thinking of staying in cham?
snow report
Forgot to mention that you can get a free child pass with every adult PDS pass you buy in April too, cutting a big chunk off the cost of a family trip at this time.

Les Gets accommodation starts at 250e a week for that period, btw, via their central reservation site. Sure it's similar in Morzine.
latest report
FAMILY STAY : Easter, the mountains belong to your children !
From 03/04/2010 to the end of the season

Book your ski-passes with your accommodation, for each Portes du Soleil ski-pass (6-day adult) bought ; 1 ski-pass child (under 12 years) free ! (on « hands free » support)

Stay for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 years + 2 adult ski-passes and 2 child ski-passes (free) 6-day Portes du Soleil :

7 nights in a 2-room flat** : 615.00 €

http://www.lesgets.com/en/sejours-promo/index.html
snow report
7and2suited, I booked that a little while ago - 2 families, 9 people, accommodation and passes €1200. It's my credit crunch family ski trip.

However, if he's going with a few mates, not so useful. I'd still stay in Morzine though and bus it up to Prodains if the snow's bad around Pleney. Super Morzine might work too as you could use the (slower) gondola uplift to Avoriaz.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Morzine

end of discussion

Agreed, but may be slightly biased Toofy Grin

Better for your mixed group in terms of variety of runs and apres ski, access to the higher slopes is easy. Depending on where you stay in town.
snow report
jasongibson100, spread your wings and see other resorts.

IMHO Morzine is much more suited to a family trip due to a more linked ski area while still presenting those of your group with a challenge of touring different ski areas.
ski holidays
agreed
snow report
Thanks all, some good points there

I have just got back from a week in Val Thorens and already looking forward to Easter.

We are all booked now for Chamonix, return flights to Geneva from LHR for £95 with Swiss Air (no charge for skis Very Happy )
We fly out on the 1st April and come back on 6th

Another question for you Chamonix veterans, We are thinking of doing a day in Courmayeur, what day would you recommend we did that ?
Was thinking of the Saturday but would the traffic be bad on a transfer day ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't set a specific day - keep an eye on the weather. Courmayeur often has the opposite of Chamonix so it's good if you get a bad vis or windy day.

I've not noticed a particular day being worse than any other for traffic in the tunnel.
snow report
Quote:

Chamonix has a much bigger altitude range.

But most of the skiing suitable for modest skiers is not very high altitude? The Grand Montets is not everyone's cup of tea.
latest report
I dunno, the mid stations of all the areas except Les Houches are close to 2000. There's not really that much below the midstations anyway.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Chamonix has a much bigger altitude range.

But most of the skiing suitable for modest skiers is not very high altitude? The Grand Montets is not everyone's cup of tea.

Brevent/flegere the skiing is between 2000 and 2500m. Le Tour 1200-2200. Les Houches 1000-1900. GM 1200-3300.

Big altitude range and so offers something for all conditions.

Surely the rain at Christmas is a good example. At GM they were skiing powder.

And GM is actually not bad for intermediates. I took a group there last April and flying up and down Pierre-a-ric was their favourite run in the valley... In fact I don't know anyone who hasn't been impressed by GM. Even the blacks off the top are manageable for a confident intermediate and the scenery is stunning.
snow conditions
If you're not going off piste go Morzine. No comparison for pistes.
snow conditions
We're planning to do first day in Brevent/flegere , some nice gentle runs for those that haven't skiied for a while to ease them back in

Probably Le Tour second day, then Courmayeur and GM on last two days

Only had 3 days there last easter and didn't get over to Courmayeur, so would like to get there if poss this year
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy