Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA/Canada Easter 2010 - what will it be like vs. Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
People,

I know, I know its a dumb question BUT

if you asked me what's it like skiing in Europe at Easter i would answer as follows:

We have skied the last 5 Easters in France and Austria (Obergurgl and now more inclined to 3V's) and had fresh dumps 3 of the 5 years. The 3 dump years don't need discussion. The other two were characterised by freeze-thaw conditions but certainly relatively skiable with lots of sun. I know its a bit hit and miss at Easter in Europe but certainly enjoyable, particularly with small people in tow.

How might it be in the same general sense in North America as what I have said above? I'm not looking for guarantees.

We are two families looking to have a go at North America next Easter but want to give ourselves a chance of pretty good conditions. Specifically, where should we head?

Cheers folks :D
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say SIlver Star or Big White should offer fairly good conditions. They shut becuase once the canadians start to play golf they give up the skiing and because the bears wake up.

WE were there two years ago with awesome conditions and plenty of snow dumps.

Fernie last year was less good in snow terms- more spring style skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Whistler after the buzz of the Olympics.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easter (early to mid April) is always good and often great in Colorado and Utah, this is usually true for Lake Tahoe areas as well. After about 20 April many large western US ski resorts are scheduled to close due to lack of customers, not snow. There are no crowds at US ski areas in April so advance booking of accommodations is not necessary. This facilitates last-minute choosing of snowiest resorts. I have skied in deep, fresh snow for two out of the last three Easters in Summit County area of Colorado. I got excellent Easter skiing in Quebec for the third. Shock
Whistler is off to a great start with much snow already in November 2009 and should hold up well, especially their high alpine terrain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never hada disappointing Easter in Whistler; even in the year when the January snow cover was very bad, by Easter the conditions were fabulous.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 21-11-09 10:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
so 3 out of 5 years you've had great conditions with fresh snow, I honestly can't see how going to the USA over the same 5 years could have delivered anything but similiar conditions.

....but I guess I'm saying if you want to go to experience USA skiing I wouldn't go expecting the snow at Easter to be 'better' than Europe. It could be, it could be worse. However the experience is different to skiing in Europe......
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By and large, Easter condition in the Rockies and west coast will be good, with sunny days and plenty of snow coverage guaranteed, and fresh snow quite possible. Next year's Easter is early enough most resorts will still be fully open.

Particularly best choices: Summit County Colorado, Salt Lake City/Park City, Aspen/Snowmass, Tahoe area, Mommoth. Whistler is also one obvious choice, as already mentioned.

I personally would suggest look into Aspen/Snowmass. In the hope of finding good "late season" deals that would make an expensive destination affordable. It's also quite high elavation so chance of fresh snow particularly good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler stays open until June - plenty of snow and quiet slopes pretty much guaranteed at Easter. Other recommendations for Rockies/Tahoe also fine ideas. I love spring skiing in North America Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Squaw stays open until mid-May, Mammoth until later (they try to be open 4th of July weekend). Possibility of new snow = high but not certain. Possibility of sunny weather, temps in the 60s and good snow = high. Easter is usually a good time to ski in Tahoe - not too busy because a lot of the Bay Area/Sacramento skiers are already doing spring stuff!
I'll be skiing then. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
greg66, can I PM you re accommodation in Whistler?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have booked a weeks skiing in Mammoth over Easter specifically because of its great snow record ar that time of year. I would go to Whistler but it is just that little bit too expensive compared to Mammoth.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hornster, skinanny, really, really interested to know about your trips. How many people, flights etc, prices, type of accom etc.

greg66, actually dont need to PM you. I looked at your place and it looks fantastic BUT we need 4 bedrooms. Got anywhere/anyone you can point me at?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, er, I spend the season at Squaw, so I can't tell you specifics on a trip but can give you ideas on where to stay, etc. If you need 4 bedrooms then you will probably need to rent a house which is relatively easy in the Tahoe area, or stay at one of the hotels. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi, We booked through Virgin and got flights to LAX, car hire for the week, 3* hotel in Mammoth with a 6 day lift pass for £1100 each. Not bad I reckon. That is over the Easter week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi: you've got PM.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy