Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing closed pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:

I once saw a rope being taken away by the patrol! Very Happy So obviously no one else was on it and I got the second track (the pisteur layed down the first track) Smile

if you were really on the ball you'd have all ready been on your way down it before the pisteur had finished wrapping up the rope closing it off. At least i would have wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name, there weren't any chairs moving in Mossettes, no black dots of skiers anywhere down there. I strongly suspected the resort of Mossettes was actually closed. The wall looked extremely tempting (in perfect condition) bar being completely deserted. Would you have gone down? Can you actually get down to the valley floor from the bottom of the wall if Mossettes is closed? Then it would have been an expensive taxi...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
frank4short wrote:
abc wrote:

I once saw a rope being taken away by the patrol! Very Happy So obviously no one else was on it and I got the second track (the pisteur layed down the first track) Smile

if you were really on the ball you'd have all ready been on your way down it before the pisteur had finished wrapping up the rope closing it off. At least i would have wink

I was actually intending to ask the pisteur WHEN he's going to open that run... Embarassed

But in the time it took me to slide over towards him, he finished the business of wrapping up the rope and skied off! rolling eyes

I have in fact saw (from a chair, different resort) someone slid into the run from the newly created openning while the pisteur was still busy wrapping up the remainder of the rope. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
crosbie, (Mossettes isn't a resort, just a peak, just being picky, I suspect you're thinking of Les Crozets?). From Avoriaz, I'm now trying to recall whether there's a link signpost at the top of the wall. If there isn't, and there's no passable route back to Avoriaz from the bottom of the Wall, I'd think they'd close it.

As you suggest, although you can get to the valley floor (generally, snow permitting) from the bottom of the Wall. it's the wrong valley and thus a very, very expensive taxi. I reckon you'd be cheaper spending the night in the best hotel in Champery eating truffles sandwiches and quaffing fine Krug than trying to persuade a taxi to take you back to Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets.

Would I have skied it? only if I knew how I was going to get home. Or, if I already had the Krug on ice...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, ah yes, Les Crozets is what I thought we were referring to - the ski area that the wall goes to.

I guessed that the pisteurs assumed that no-one aside from crazy wall-loving boarders would bother walking the 50 yards from the top of the chair (or was it a button, can't remember) over to the wall.

Now I look at the map it does appear straightforward to get down to Champery. Even so, with Crozets closed I guess there might not be much in the way of life even at the valley floor. It was late April '08. Pity you weren't there - I could have done with expert knowledge of contingency plans involving Krug.

Perhaps although no chairs/drags were running in Crozets up to the wall, there were others running out of view that one would eventually reach? It's possible one could come back via Mossettes I guess, i.e. a one way circuit. Perhaps that's normal in low season? I wish there was a sign saying "Yes, the Wall is open, you can get back into Avoriaz via the Mossettes chair".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The "hazard" of early and late season is quite often the limited (or ONLY) way back to where one started. And sometime those "only" way back could be a challenging route, perhaps even in bad shape.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, I doubt the pisteurs woul dmake that assumption and IIRC if you were close enough to the entrance to see into Crozets, you'd be close enough to see th eclosed signs if they were there. Late April 08...I can't recall but I would think that the Crozets-Avoriaz link would be fine, somehow although I recall that the Mossettes itinerary was pretty crap all season due to high winds scouring it.

I don't think there's a great deal to do in Champery although Ski Scott Dunn used to operate there, in the late 80s, early 90s and some friends had a great time, back then.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I sat at the top of the Wall and surveyed Les Crozets for a good 5 mins. Zero sign of life, and zero around me. The wall didn't even look recently skied. It was not skied out and icy. More like a few inches of fresh snow on a fairly unmogulled slope, and no signs of fresh tracks. If I saw any skiers beneath me (or chairs moving in Crozets) I would have been off like a shot. I must admit I didn't look along the ridge in the distance to my left for signs of the Mossettes chair (didn't think of that at the time, but is it actually visible?).

No barriers, fences, flags, nothing. It was as if it was closed for the season, so closed that they'd even put the fence away for the summer, and I was some mug who had this strange notion it might actually still be open. I think the weather was quite overcast, with flat light and a fair breeze, but not exactly inclement. It's a mystery.

Anyway, I'll be back there in March, to descend it several times. Hopefully to do the Grand Paradis (which is the best restaurant 1st or 2nd?). snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think they don't have the same responsibility for warning about the state of an itinerary. It is partly why so many old pistes have been made into itineraries - because they don't have to be closed in many situations when they might have to close a piste. But they do patrol them for avalanches.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy