Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polarised sunglasses or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Forum newbie here ....

Going to invest in a good pair of Oakley sunglasses as i prefer to were shades rather than googles when on the piste.

I have read some negative reviews regarding polarised glasses i.e. you cannot see patches of ice etc.

So my question is does anyone on this forum have experience with polarised sunglasses on piste? Would you recommend them?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find sunglasses tend to steam up more than goggles. Also, in flat light they are next to useless unless you get the kind that have interchangeable lenses. Decathlon do cheapish wrap arounds which have a range of different colour lenses all the way through to clear. Don't know about Oakley, but I would guess they are quite pricey. As I tend to sit on and or lose sunglasses for a variety of reasons including incompetence (well mainly incompetence) I would be a tad peeved about losing a pair of Oakleys.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shades = No
Goggles = Yes
Very Happy

As ajl says, they are no good in flat light.
If you prefer shades in the sun, fair enough but I would get a pair of orange lensed goggles for the bad days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dome90uk, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm firmly in the camp of goggles are only for days when I've lost my sunnies......even in heavy snow I don't like them, so can understand your preference. I've not tried polarised, as the reports I read suggested that they weren't great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also think that goggles are better than shades. Shades might look cool but they don't provide the same purpose as the goggles.
Dentist Visalia | Dental Salinas
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dome90uk, I prefer polarized...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear a helmet and have come very close to being thrown in the chokey by the fashion police... so its goggles all the way from now on.

I preferred wearing sunnies and have used polarised ones, which were fine. I had the Decathalon cycling shades kit and used the yellow and the clear lenses on bad light days. The clear ones were especially good when it was getting dark quickly, other than that it was yellow shades for low light and hey worked well.

The great thing about sunglasses is that if they do steam on the lift, you can clear this by turning your head sideways for a couple of seconds and getting a rush of air behind the lenses. The tan marks are shocking though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there are glasses that may be suitable for low light, either ones for cycling or for xc skiing. The latter seem to have light yellow lenses in them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have some polarised goggles. Yer, the surface changes a bit if you tilt your head but I don't think they actually help me see any better. Perhaps they might if they were polarised at different angles or if the polarisation rotated with time - LCD specs anyone?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You won't go wrong with polorised oakleys. I use them in bright conditions but I am getting used to goggles now and the difference is immense. My goggles are polorised FTR.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy