Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills to improve turning to the right

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning,

I'm just a beginner, had a couple of lesson up on Cairngorm and down at Bracknell. I found the basics fairly easy to grasp and can turn and control speed with ploughs. My last lesson dealt with moving from plough turns to parallels which I am getting but just need some practice. The issue I have is left parallel turns came kinda naturally but the right turns are less confident. What drills can you suggest to help this?

I find it far easier to side slide when facing left so I suppose practising this to the right might help. I also find it easier to hockey stop to the left, so again maybe something I need to practice facing the other way.

Any other techniques I should try?

The odd things is I used to skate a lot as a lad and nearly always hockey stopped to the right, so you would think I would favour that directions as the weight distribution is similar when skiing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most people seem to have a strong side and a weak side, so I don't think it's unusual to turn more effectively to one side than the other. Do you know what is happening to your skis which makes you turn less well to the right?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the uphill ski doesn't want to float round as much and can get caught up. Maybe because I'm less confident turning this way I don't lean forward enough or put enough weigh onto the downhill ski?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Makes perfect sense, tiffin, that your left turns and sideslipping when facing left are your easier sides. Both require use of your left edges. You obviously need to do some edge drills on your right side edges. Doing sideslips pointing to the right will be a big helper. Do a bunch of them.

Practice sideslipping, then tipping your knees uphill and coming to a stop. Practice repeatedly alternating between sliding and stopping. Tip your knees uphill to stop, and downhill to slide.

Then practice doing traverses to the right. Tip your knees uphill to engage your right side (uphill) edges so your skis will traverse.

Then, while traversing, practice momentarily tipping your knees downhill and sideslipping, then tipping your knees back uphill and continuing your traverse. Repeat numerous momentary sideslips during each traverse.

Now try doing a traverse, and gently/subtly turning uphill untill you come to a stop.

Very gradually increasing the steepness of your traverse, bit by bit, still turning to a stop. Keep increasing the steepness of your traverse until you're beginning with your skis facing straight down the falline, turning to a stop.

Once you can do those falline turns well, start with your skis about 10 degrees to the left of the falline and turn back to the right to a stop, just like you've been doing. Keep starting a little bi futher to the left (15, 20, 25 degrees, etc) until you're doing full turns.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin wrote:
I think the uphill ski doesn't want to float round as much and can get caught up. Maybe because I'm less confident turning this way I don't lean forward enough or put enough weigh onto the downhill ski?

Although it's difficult to say without seeing, it sounds like it's getting trapped on it's inside edge and you can't steer it effectively because of this. Are you relying on a big snowplough to initiate the turn to the right?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say its medium sized Smile

It just feels untidy compared to the other. I think I'll spend some time on those sideslide drills on my next visit. Thanks for the help chaps.

On another subject, is it normal for dryslopes to use silicon on the matting? Sure does make things slippy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffin wrote:
It just feels untidy compared to the other. I think I'll spend some time on those sideslide drills on my next visit. Thanks for the help chaps.

Also do some traverses just skiing on the downhill leg so you become more comfortable balancing on what will be the outside ski when you are turning. I see lots of people who aren't able to steer their inside ski when starting in a snowplough because the ski is on too much of an edge and carries too much weight to allow it to be rotated.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
I see lots of people who aren't able to steer their inside ski when starting in a snowplough because the ski is on too much of an edge and carries too much weight to allow it to be rotated.

Ah yes....that inside leg steer!!!! Who would do something like that??!!!! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Touchguru, maybe you could bottle some of your's and send it to tiffin and a happy compromise would be reached Smile Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

is it normal for dryslopes to use silicon on the matting?

we have a "roller" on the lift track which is filled with a silicone oil / water emulsion (silicon is a metalloid element wink )

but I reckon all it lubricates is the lift track on the way up - how does your slope apply it Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Touchguru, maybe you could bottle some of your's and send it to tiffin and a happy compromise would be reached Smile Wink

And that is why YOU are the instructor....!!!! Very Happy Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda, yes silicone, sorry. Silicon would get interesting the first time it rained if I remember my chemistry Smile

I don't know if they spray it but they do put matting down that's covered in it. It ends up everywhere Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tiffin, uh not so good if it's on your clothing I guess. I still keep meaning to attach a couple of tubes with sprays at the tips of my skis to a camelback

Back to the topic - do I detect a diverging inside ski somewhere in this thread Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear just a single ski, on your left foot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touchguru wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I see lots of people who aren't able to steer their inside ski when starting in a snowplough because the ski is on too much of an edge and carries too much weight to allow it to be rotated.

Ah yes....that inside leg steer!!!! Who would do something like that??!!!! wink
I simply can't think! Having, in a true lightbulb moment in a previous lesson, found my little toe edge - I now can't seem to let go of the bloody thing! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy