Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What type of pass for Cervinia?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of going to Cervinia for a week and was wondering whether an area pass covering Zermatt as well was worth it. There seems to be enough mileage on the italian side and going through previous posts it seems that there is a strong risk of high winds shutting the access anyway.

Can anyone tell me if its worth investing?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCollier1, what level of skier are you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCollier1, Not been to Cervinia but have been to Zermatt twice. The first time we had a pass covering Cervinia but only went across once. I decided that it was better to buy just the Zermatt pass and only upgrage for the day as required. If you are all advanced skiers you may well be tempted to do the Zermatt trip more often, otherwise I would stick with a daily upgrade.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee wrote:
SCollier1, Not been to Cervinia but have been to Zermatt twice. The first time we had a pass covering Cervinia but only went across once. I decided that it was better to buy just the Zermatt pass and only upgrage for the day as required. If you are all advanced skiers you may well be tempted to do the Zermatt trip more often, otherwise I would stick with a daily upgrade.

I'm with geepee - we had a long weekend one easter, but with good weather foreceast and all being black run mile munchers it was a bit of an easy decision. If you're going early season then it could be weather affected or if you're not massively into mile munching then just a day upgrade might be the thing to do. You do have to go for a day however as the food is great/different, and a trip up the mountain on the train makes a change for the 6 pack chair lift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with daily upgrade advice. Cervinia does get very windy and the Zermatt link is often closed. It is also a bit of a slog across. I think it is worth doing once for the experience, but you should get enough in Cervinia to keep you happy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to be different - we have (twice) got the full international pass, and have made very good use of it. On trips in December and March we have only seen the links closed on a couple of days, and one of those most of the Cervinia side was closed as well. By skiing Zermatt as well you can add a huge amount of extra variety into your skiing, as much of the skiing is a different character to the Cervinia side, and with the lift infrastructure as it now you can comfortably get to anywhere on the Zermatt side (and back again Toofy Grin ) in a day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You good skiers? You'll get bored in Cervinia if you are, it's mostly dead easy and flat. Get the full pass. The route across isn't a 'slog' at all. The lift system is incredible.

Cervinia is everso so-so. Zermatt is an unmissable experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with RobinS, the skiing is very different and more challenging in Zermatt. I seem to remember that 2 days of upgrades costs more than going for the full pass anyway (that's from the Swiss side).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
get the full pass, if you don't use it then you can get the international bit refunded, the daily upgrade works out more expensive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, My memory may be faulty, and we can all experience the same thing in different ways, but I remember a long and cold trip over to Zermatt. And don't miss the last lift back as the taxi isn't cheap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshskier, Once you first get over into Switzerland there is a long, flattish run that can be miserable if it's cold and windy you're right. It's well worth the effort though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everywhere's miserable if it's cold and windy. Especially Peterborough, now I come to think of it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, You're not wrong there! It was nearing -30 degrees C at the top when we were in Zermatt last February, that particular run was pretty bad then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with Paulio, Cervinia is boring in itself, and the slopes get crowded with beginners who can easily manage the cruisers.
Zermatt is the only reason to go to Cervinia. If you haven't booked yet, think again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only been once to Cervinia but was never able to get across to Zermatt as strong winds every day meant that the links were closed. One day the winds were so bad that the only lift open in the whole of Cervinia was a button lift serving the nursery slopes. As for the skiing Cervinia is easy although snow conditions are almost always excellent. When I went I was pretty inexperienced, as a much better skier now I have no desire to go back.
snow report
having been to Cervinia 6 or 7 times I can assure you that it can get very boring if you stick to the pistes. If you like venturing off piste and know where to look, it is fantastic.

As for the pass, I think you'll get value out of the international pass. It usually works out cheaper than 2 day upgrades, in fact only marginly more than 1 last time I looked. Prices are available on www.cervinia.it.

Conditions can be an issue too. I've had an international pass in Cervinia and not made use out of it twice last season as the snow was generally much better on the Italian side. That said at the moment, the best snow is to be had in Zermatt by the looks of things
snow report
papasmurf,
Quote:

if you don't use it then you can get the international bit refunded,

Can you please explain how this works?
latest report
Been to Cervinia many times and the International Pass has always been good value. For intermediates and improvers Cervinia is great - miles of piste - but you'll soon find that you want to 'go over the top' into Zermatt even if it's just for the experience. Even though the slope into Trockener Steg is easy there are more challenging runs and great food! In any one week we'd ski into Switzerland 3 or 4 times. Well worth the extra. Back again Jan 10th. Hurrah!!
snow conditions
I think you would be bonkers to go to Cervinia and not venture over into Zermatt. You might as well go to Wembley and conclude that you don't fancy the match and prefer the view from the car park. Even if you're not a particularly strong skier, the gentle run down over the border is spectacular and likewise cruising down from the Matterhorn cable car back to Italy.
Whilst on the mountain in Cervinia, I cannot recommend highly enough eating at Chalet Etoile - spectacular view and great food. Best mountain restaurant anywhere? Maybe
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy