Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder Skiboards for Powder Ski training

Poster: A snowHead
Skiboards have hardly any surface area so they are even more horrible in soft/variable snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker wrote:
el nombre, I am well aware of that. Skis for racing down icy pistes, snowboards for fluffy stuff.

You would take your road bike up a bridle path.

To re-clarify, "skiboard" is the generic name, "snowblade" is a salomon brand. Both approx 100cm long and you ski two of them. No relation to snowboards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spot on about the difference between skiboard (generic name) and snowblade (Salomon tradename) DaveC. Also spot on with your earlier post about how the OP got his eureka moment on skiboards, and how the requirements for powder are different-the OP should have another look at that post as it's a very good answer. I've messed around for years on 99.9cm snowblades (as well as skis) and they are hopeless off-piste, although it does make any journey into quite an adventure! But ski powder on wider skis, feet closer together, with smoooth transitions and you'll have great fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok, can i ask a straight question here, has any of the people who say skiboards are useless in deeper snow/powder actually used a proper set of skiboards, or have they just used snowblades or guessed at the answer. there is a massive difference in performance between a set of snowblades and a set of skiboards. i know this because i have used skiboards for many years now, both on and off piste. i have never had any issues with any of the skiboards that i have owned. please dont say that snowblades and skiboards are essentially the same, it simply is not true.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, I've tried a couple of different "skiboards" (well, snowblades and some head jobs that were just horrific). Here's the point I keep making - if I ski at a reasonably strong level off piste, and carvers are harder work than fatter, longer skis, surely skiboards are going to be less responsive than carvers?

Do you use poles with your skiboards?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, i reccomend you actually try a set of skiboards, a set of summits or revl8's. you may not believe it, but they are not the same as the ones you have mentioned. i am not saying that boards are easy in powder, but with good technique they can be just as much fun. which is surely what snowsports is about. why do skiboards have to be similar to something, why cant people just enjoy it for what it is, all this comparing is taking the fun side away from the slopes. i think its just wrong to dismiss skiboards as useless though, thats just snobbery.
no i dont use poles at all
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, i think DaveC is trolling wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 21-11-09 22:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

they're not quite the same thing

my understanding is that "snowblades" is, strictly speaking, a trade name - they were made by salomon. Skiboards are a generic name. So perhaps that means that all snowblades are skiboards but not all skiboards are snowblades?

I would hazard a guess that a significant majority of the SHs who will instantly slag off skiboards (usually in highly intemperate language full of personal abuse) have never used them, or might have used one (or even two!!!!) models, probably years ago. The first snowblades appeared 15 - 20 years ago (I threw out a couple of pairs only last year). They probably bare about as much resemblance to modern ones as skis that age do to modern ones.

The question is about using skiboards in powder, so possibly only someone who has actually used skiboards in powder can provide an informed reply.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 21-11-09 21:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, are your bindings releasable (just out of interest)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, only so much as I was trolling you in the thread about Dr Nutt Wink

I just can't believe someone can argue that half a ski (it's not like it's new technology) can have anywhere near the same capabilities or use, especially without poles. I've taught pole-less with kids and skiied some pretty sketchy stuff, and it's really really not a good idea. pam w, the question wasn't about skiboards in powder, it was about using them as a training aide for it - and I did write a reasoned reply to it. I just question if my idea of skiing, off piste and powder are the same thing as graeme's
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So,

the answer to my question, it seems, is yes.

Yes because the only person who has used them and knows what they're talking about says so.

However,

also to note though is that I will need long and wide Skiboards.
I'm not confident enough about it to buy them, so I will go the effort to find the appropriate hire to experiment with and make that the priority... now that I know it's possible.

After that I'll hire some of the powder skis mentioned here.

And after that I'll also give Snowboarding a go, just for the sake of powder. Hope I got the patience for that.

Thanks for the help Happy

... next stop, find the right Skiboards for hire in Tignes (never been here before, not my choice...)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jago25_98,
Quote:

that'll be skis then wink

Seriously, I'm with DaveC, - yes I appreciate graeme's point that if you use good technique you can use skiboards in powder (although anything other than knee deep I think would be tough), but they are not going to be "easier" to use than fat skis, and so no good as a training aide. And to try to learn to ski powder without poles?! That would be hard!

I accept that skiboards can be a great training aide for piste skiing. If you want a great training aide for powder skiing then go and hire some fat skis - the extra float these skis will give you will be a great help.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surface area (A) of "Ski Boards" (SB) is :
(length x max width) - (length x((d/y)max(d/x)min)(max)R1 - R2/Rmin. = surface area. =A(ski board) =or ASB.

Surface area of carving ski (ACARVE) which is double the length of (SB) has the same formula for surface area but equates to (7/2(ASB))

So, therefore, a simple carving ski has 7/2 times more floatation in powder than the Ski board.

This is now scientifically proven.

Ski boards are gay.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have used skiboards off-piste quite a bit, largely for the hilarity value.

One much underrated characteristic of skiboards in deep snow is that you can utilise a braking effect not by turning, but by breaking at the waist and pointing the tips skywards, in effect wheelie-ing the things.

This discovery caused untold fun in Jackson where we would camp out at the top of the resorts gnarlier runs and wait for a local hardcore to huff and puff a bunch of turns down in deep, heavy snow only to wally past going straight down the fall line on skiboards. You leave much more heroic tracks as well.

The locals got VERY annoyed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have some proper Skiboards, Ie the big fat wide ones from Revel8 not weeny little things that are really blades.

They are brilliant in powder, quick turning, they float well too. They are easier to ski in powder than regular skis. Great fun for playing in the trees or in the steep technical stuff.

I ski, board, blade & skiboard I love all of them equally. I ski on piste when it's freshly groomed or hardpacked, though I hate pistes generally, deep powder days I'll board & in between I'll Skiboard.

Proper skiboards are NOTHING LIKE blades!!!!!
snow conditions
The OP said he's off to try and do this in Tignes. In most of France the Salomon Snowblade is the only rental kit in what they view as novelty items like this. I've never heard of skiboards or Revl8 before reading this so guess it's a US brand?

The French beginner-low intermediate group had a minor craze recently for mini-skis where a six foot adult takes a pair of 140cm skis but I don't think these are the same thing as skiboards.

In large French resorts snowblades are almost uniquely associated with French chavs and idiots so you may experience some quiet mocking when hiring them, hostility on the slopes and abuse when attempting to go offpiste.
snow conditions
Well after some research i admittedly had not realised quite how wide you can get skiboards. However the width dimensions are no wider than a fat powder ski and therfore just cannot offer the same amount of float. There is a reason skis are getting fatter and longer (yes lots of skis are getting shorter but powder skis are going back to the 190s etc of yester year). I cannot see skibaords helping if you're already struggling with powder, unless perhaps you're currently on a set of very piste oriented skis. And as said i imagine you'll be hard pressed to find some of those 137 waisted revel8s to try.
ski holidays
jago25_98, skiing powder is about staying balanced so skiing on short boards is likely to be more difficult than wide skis (length helps balance) particularly wide rockered skis which are designed to float and turn easily.
snow report
Isn't the point that a short ski (call it a skiboard) is gonna be easier to turn in powder or on piste, as is a softer flexing one - but that in powder a fatter ski will be better while a shorter one is harder to keep balance

So when you start trying powder something a little wider, a little shorter and little softer will probably make it easier to learn - and how gives a toss whether that's a ski, a ski board or something else...
latest report
thebongolian, why would it be easier to turn?
latest report
DaveC What does you it, refer to?
snow report
thebongolian wrote:
Isn't the point that a short ski (call it a skiboard) is gonna be easier to turn in powder
latest report
DaveC because it's shorter there's less of it to manoeuvre round and all things being equal it will bend into a shorter radius
ski holidays
jago25_98 wrote:
So,

the answer to my question, it seems, is yes.

Yes because the only person who has used them and knows what they're talking about says so.

However,

I'm not confident enough about it to buy them, so I will go the effort to find the appropriate hire to experiment with and make that the priority... now that I know it's possible.

After that I'll hire some of the powder skis mentioned here.

And after that I'll also give Snowboarding a go, just for the sake of powder. Hope I got the patience for that.

Thanks for the help Happy

... next stop, find the right Skiboards for hire in Tignes (never been here before, not my choice...)

when are you going away on hols, i can loan you a set of boards for you to try,
ski holidays
arv wrote:
graeme, are your bindings releasable (just out of interest)?

i only use non release on any of the skiboards i have used. i did have a set oflonger boards with AT bindings on them, but i never actually used them.
ski holidays
Cptsideways wrote:
I have some proper Skiboards, Ie the big fat wide ones from Revel8 not weeny little things that are really blades.

They are brilliant in powder, quick turning, they float well too. They are easier to ski in powder than regular skis. Great fun for playing in the trees or in the steep technical stuff.

I ski, board, blade & skiboard I love all of them equally. I ski on piste when it's freshly groomed or hardpacked, though I hate pistes generally, deep powder days I'll board & in between I'll Skiboard.

Proper skiboards are NOTHING LIKE blades!!!!!

surely your wrong like myself......................... welcome to the discussion, at last someone else who has a decent set of boards. what model, i would hazard a guess at revel8 alps?
ski holidays
thebongolian wrote:
DaveC because it's shorter there's less of it to manoeuvre round and all things being equal it will bend into a shorter radius

You think your skiboard has any flex besides the rigidity of the boot you're attaching to it? Skiboards may *pivot* more easily, but I don't see how they'll *turn* more easily in powder snow. I could get down anything I could ski in snowshoes, it doesn't make it skiing.
snow report
DaveC wrote:
thebongolian wrote:

You think your skiboard has any flex besides the rigidity of the boot you're attaching to it? Skiboards may *pivot* more easily, but I don't see how they'll *turn* more easily in powder snow. I could get down anything I could ski in snowshoes, it doesn't make it skiing.

i agree that they wont turn as easy in powder.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thebongolian, wider yes, softer flex yes, shorter only up to a point and less important with rockered skis. Shorter length typically helps you turn but will give you less balance and any variations in underfoot conditions or aspect will be harder to absorb. This is much less of an issue on piste where edge is more important hence the OP may not find his on piste experience with ski boards translating in powder. The beauty of a rockered ski is that even at long lengths it is easy to turn. I have never used a wide ski board and I'm sure it works and is fun but it's very short length must result in less balance so I suspect it requires more skill to ski well than a longer rockered ski. As the OP wants a solution to help him enjoy powder a rockered ski seems the obvious solution.
snow report
DaveCIf I had skiboards they probably would still flex but that's cause I'd be extra stupid and mount tele bindings - each to their own perversion and all that... wink

Basically what I'm trying to say is two is things:

1. Don't matter what you call the things you strap to your feet as long as you have fun

2. For the benefit of the OP, something wider, softer and shorter will probably help to learn to ski in powder

That doesn't mean going ridiculously short - as you and others have observe this has problems with fore-aft balance - but maybe knocking 10-15 cm of the ski length while stepping up to 85-90mm underfoot and a softer ski is definitely going to help someone learn

bobinch Rockered skis are interesting - in conceptual terms I tend to think to them being pre-bent into an arc which as you rightly point out makes them easier to turn (well so I'm told - not tried any yet but probably gonna get some Coombacks based on reviews / price). Not sure whether they are good for a powder debutant who sounds to be still getting to grips with carving on piste (based on OP) - can't think of any rockered skis that are still narrow enough to be enjoyable on piste but my knowledge of what's out there isn't encyclopedic
snow report
thebongolian, Why would rockered skis not be good for someone learning to ski powder? They make it easier. Exactly what the OP is looking for! I bought a pair for my wife and it made a step change to the level of terrain she could cope with, her speed and her enjoyment. I reckon rockered skis have brought to powder what carving skis brought to piste skiing.
snow report
bobinch I think they could be but the only pairs I've seen are >100mm underfoot (but as I say my knowledge of skis is not encylopedic)

For a beginner who cannot properly carve on piste (as with the OP) I suspect that's gonna be a bit of a handful for the inevitably large amount of time they're gonna spend on pistes going from between suitable pitches for learning - they might enjoy the pow more but at the expense of the rest of the day

If there was something around 85-90mm (i.e. narrower than a ski boot) I'd agree - or if they were a hard charger who knew how to set an edge and ride it
snow conditions
Just out of interest I think anyone agreeing with the skiboard thing should search out revel8 skiboard team on youtube.com, occasional serious moments with mucho gaperage....
ski holidays
the_doc, that just sucks...

Can someone point us to some footage of people using skiboards in powder and looking good?
latest report
Have a look at this: [/url]http://youtube.com/v/gHhHg2T868U

This geezer is in 3cm of fresh(at most) and still can't handle it.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
Can someone point us to some footage of people using skiboards in powder and looking good?

May I also request some footage of the Loch Ness Monster paragliding? Just while you're raiding the Area 51 archives. wink
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/DJP2FzEP8w4 there's a couple of little bits in this vid but its basically going in straight line and looking like he's needing to put a reasonable amount of effort in compared to skis. That or he just has a pretty rigid style. Considering its the revel8 team i expected better.
snow conditions
Pretty much backs up the assumption I had that if you think snowblades are good off-piste you're just a bad skier... even their park segments are only unique because they can do rollerblade-esque tricks - but best of luck stomping the 70ft zero air on your blades...

*edit* - I give up using the "skiboard" term. You know what I mean.
snow conditions
bobinch wrote:
thebongolian, Why would rockered skis not be good for someone learning to ski powder? They make it easier. Exactly what the OP is looking for! I bought a pair for my wife and it made a step change to the level of terrain she could cope with, her speed and her enjoyment. I reckon rockered skis have brought to powder what carving skis brought to piste skiing.

I'm not sure shaped skis really did that much for joe bloggs, on most slopes maybe 5% of people actually use the skis to properly carve turns just like the days of straight skis. I think rocker may be in a different category in that it is easy to exploit.
ski holidays
Maybe I'm just not very good -well actually I'm pretty sure of that! wink, but I'd have thought whilst it is possible to make almost anything look good in perfect powder (and if you find that you'll be somewhere hard to get to, have touring skis, or can borrow skis from the cat/heli operator your with so ski choice wont be a problem) , snowblades/skiboards would have real problem blasting through less than perfect powder? Since this requires many subtle backwards/forwards adjustments of the feet/balance, doing this on something short regardless of surface area is surely going to be harder - since the op wants something to make it easier I wouldn't have thought this was the way to go?
I'd say rent some decent not-too-stiff-fronted (is that the right technical term?) mid-fats/all-mountain skis and go with the lesson option.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy