Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go from Geneva ..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, just booked flights to Geneva on the 22nd of march for 5 nights, can anyone recommend a resort or good standard ski in ski out accommodation within 3 hrs drive from Geneva, there`s just the two of us, both reasonable skiers so will consider any resort..
We stayed in Flaine last year and found the skiing to be great but the prices extortionate, i`m not keen on paying 6 euros a pint again !!.
all advice will be greatly appreciated as i`m going round in circles now looking in brochures and mags etc.

Thanks, Jase
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase380 wrote:
i`m not keen on paying 6 euros a pint again !!.

If you find somewhere ski-in ski-out where the beer is under 6 euros then let me know too!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Serre Chevalier - excellent skiing and tourist office should have some accommodation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could look at Morzine and Les Gets aswell, not far at all from Geneva
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this will sort you out for ideas for resorts - http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html

Personally to keep costs down I'd avoid obvious rip-off areas such as Cham or Val Despair.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jase380

Last New Year we found Switzerland to be loads better value than France - both for accommodation and food/drink.

Saas Fee and Zermatt are both very handy for the slopes, though not exactly ski in/out - Zermatt in particular is amazing for the Matterhorn views alone. Both can be reached in about 2.5 hrs on a good run from Geneva.

Or you could go to Le Chable (below Verbier) - Nice enough little town, reasonable digs prices and gondola connection direct to Verbier. Also an easy train journey from GVA Airport - which avoids having to hire a car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i went to a lovely resort for the day once, Les Diablerets, beautiful lttle village and a glacier at 3000m + always a bonus. plus the views over lake geneva were stunning on the way up there. basically you head to the opposite end of lake geneva- lac leman- lac geneve or what ever you want to call it. get to a place called aigle then go up into the mountains from there. its also linked to another couple of resorts but i cant remember what they are called. worth a punt i would say anyway Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, linked to Villars and Gstaad is up the road. Fine for a day but limited for 5 and low altitude so suffers in bad snow years. Never skied Glacier 3000 but it doesn't have a great reputation with friends who have. Villars/Les Diablerets are popular places for people to take their kids for the day as its gentle and quite sunny.

I'm with mountainaddict. Le Chable is a good budget option to access Verbier and the 4V's. Not ski in/ski out but the Bubble is fast and gets you straight up to 2200m avoiding the queues at Medran (Verbier). Nendaz, Thyon or Veysonnaz also access the 4V's and would have budget options. Alternatively Val d'Anniviers has an authentic feel is good value, rarely busy and has very good skiing albeit a smaller area than 4V's - of the villages, Grimentz probably has the most piste side accommodation. Zermatt is superb but a step up in price.

Of those you'd only benefit from a car in Val d'Anniviers (where it would be useful as the bus service between the villages is not as frequent as it could be). Le Chable (or Verbier) is easy by train and Zermatt is car free so train you have to transfer onto the train anyway for the last 20 minutes up the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski-finder, Sainte Foy Wink

Think we paid €5 for a beer in Zermatt last season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Head high so late in the season.

For a 5-nighter, Switzerland is best.

1. Saas Fee;
2. Zermatt.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold,
Quote:
so late in the season?
what T F are you talking about?

jase380, anywhere mentioned should be a good idea, personally with only 5 days trip I'd stay closer (i.e. France) rather than the slightly longer transfer to Swiss stations. Any of Chamonix/Aravis/Portes du Soleil will work.

I am afraid that €6/pint is somewhat general - you can get cheaper but only if you look quite hard.

P.S. Chamonix is not a rip off. I often pay €1 for a pint. At the other end of the scale you can get the best value Michelin rosette-ed lunch in the alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dont book anywhere till around March 15th except for a hire car. You can then go anywhere that has decent snow. Cheap beer is no good with no snow. Snow is everything is it not, especially in late March. Buy the Good skiing guide, and phone a few recommended hotels in the right resort a week before you are due to go. Ask a few snowheads a week before this if you want for further recommendations. That my recommendation anyhow
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jase380, We can certainly get below that price for beer in Morzine town. Although you may pay that and more up the mountain.
Save it for Apres Ski Smile

Have PM'd you
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

can anyone recommend a resort or good standard ski in ski out accommodation within 3 hrs drive from Geneva

Not sure you'll avoid expensive food/drink - but apart from that Avoriaz might tick some of the boxes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

good standard ski in ski out accommodation within 3 hrs drive from Geneva

Funnily enough, I know of somewhere that fits the bill wink

And the date in question is 6 weeks before the end of the ski season there...
ski holidays
I'm with abj. Avoriaz is ski in/out city, but it's like Marmite. Love it or hate it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy