Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi, im going on my first ski trip later this year with a few friends for someones birthday. but need major advice on things ill need, obviously i want decent gear but dont want to be paying an arm and a leg. can anyone recommend decent things that arent too overly priced? thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tk max normally have some gear in at a decent price Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First, ask all your friends if they have any gear that you can borrow for your trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
See here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
See here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

I can't be bothered to read all of that again, but I do remember thinking it was complete overkill for what a beginner needs.

If you are going at any time outside the very coldest weeks then I'd suggest:
Ski jacket
Salopettes
Gloves

Any old fleece, jumper etc. will be fine underneath. Any shirt will be OK. Goggles would be a good idea, but I've skied for years without them. Rent a helmet. Any non-lumpy socks will do. Those are the essentials.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sod, that. Rent a snowboard and join the cool kids!! Very Happy

Coat, pants, gloves, helmet, sunnies and the rent board, boots and a helmet.

EBay is pretty good
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GimmieSnow, if you're anywhere near a Decathlon store they have some great value own brand stuff plus occasional lines from Rossignol etc.

Don't buy thick ski socks, you don't need them. Thin fitted ones (not the "tube type").
Thermals / base layers. Most of these you can wear if you're into other sports. Aldi/ lidl also have ski sales and their Merino stuff is good value. Gloves and some liners.

A mid layer or gilet maybe. Jacket and pants . If you're skiing later in the season or planning on really layering up then a shell type Goretexy jacket will do and can be worn for other activities.

Most hire shops will be able to supply you with a helmet. Goggles and/or Sunnys...... your choice.

edited for poor memory......get yourself a Buff neck thingy. Ideal if the weather closes in and you have some long, cold and wind battered chair lifts to ride Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a first ski trip borrow as much as possible and buy as little as possible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Themasterpiece wrote:

Great advice!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have any gym kit like leggings and tops use those as base layers and then borrow or tk max the rest
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also think about what comfy stuff you want to wear after that hot shower at the end of the day, before you go drinking lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KernowRed wrote:
Also think about what comfy stuff you want to wear after that hot shower at the end of the day, before you go drinking lol

Shower before drinking? Wow, we've been doing it wrong, no wonder we never make any friends Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The other option is buy the stuff you like the most and then replace it over the next few years. If you are interested enough to be asking on a forum already you are going to bloody love it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Sod, that. Rent a snowboard and join the cool kids!!

You mean the formerly cool middle aged don't you? Very Happy Very Happy
The cool kids are on skis these days, haven't you noticed?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Themasterpiece wrote:

Great advice!

Agreed. Also, do you have any other outdoor gear (hiking gear, goretex shells, etc)? That stuff is great for skiing with cheap fleeces underneath.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy