Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done a route to the alps which avoids the french auto tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Am driving out to the three valleys after christmas.

Just wonderring if anyone has driven out using the french 'nationales' A-roads and avoid having to pay the auto tolls?

steely
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tried once, have paid for the tolls ever since.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, and you are tight so it must have been bad wink Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonsteel, not something you can do if you're in a hurry, i.e. can't afford three times the usual journey stretch Shock

A couple of years ago, MrsTallTone and I drove back from Val Thorens to Lyons airport keeping off the autoroutes; it took about four hours IIRC, but was thoroughly enjoyable as we saw so much of France that we'd missed on the (motor)way there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, I reckon that 140 Euro I spend on tolls for the journey to the Alps is the best investment on the journey. Did once make the mistake on a long journey in France of going cross country Shocked . Never again, way back form the place we did tolls and shaved 2 hours of the journey. Never again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've done it. Doesn't take that much longer as you can still stay on motorway for much of the way.

From Calais head to Dunkirk, then Lille (no toll on the A25), into Belguim, south to Luxembourg, continue to Metz, Nancy (no tolls on this bit), to Epinal. The stretch from here via Besancon and then N83/N5 into Switzerland to Geneva is single-carriageway but not that slow. From Geneva take the normal N-road route to the 3V.

[Viamichelin says this is about 3hrs and 100km further than the toll route.]
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same as what RobW, says - only we don't go into Switzerland (and only do the reverse - we do the tolls overnight on the way there)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonsteel wrote:
Hi there

Am driving out to the three valleys after christmas.

Just wonderring if anyone has driven out using the french 'nationales' A-roads and avoid having to pay the auto tolls?

steely

if you can't afford the tolls just follow a car closely through the credit card exit (not the mixed credit card / telepeage, they'll be too quick). As the barrier goes up follow the car in front through leaving a couple of meters gap maxi. It is known as the Poor Man's Telepeage.

Otherwise I've done Calais -> Troyes -> Dijon -> Bourg en Bresse -> Tunnel du Chat -> Chambery -> Trois Valleys on a number of occasions. If you leave the ferry at around 8pm you can be in resort for the morning.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, Don't forget to check your credit card is in date as the toll machines dont check if they are valid or expired.....so I'm told Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
davidof, Don't forget to check your credit card is in date as the toll machines dont check if they are valid or expired.....so I'm told Toofy Grin

Are you saying wiht the telepeage as mine expired recently and I did have a form of the telepeage people, all very efficient Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I reckon that 140 Euro I spend on tolls for the journey to the Alps

Shocked is that how much it will cost me? Shocked

one way or two way?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dulcamara, About 70 each, good value IMO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

I reckon that 140 Euro I spend on tolls for the journey to the Alps

Shocked is that how much it will cost me? Shocked

one way or two way?

I thought you were going to Austria - in which case only the vignette fees will apply!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If we are pressed for time we use the toll roads but I prefer the slow trip. My wife and I have often made the trip avoiding tolls, if you can afford the extra day travelling it can be a pleasant journey. Our minibus is over 2 metres so the money we save on tolls covers the cost of a nights accommodation and food.
snow conditions
Tolls Calais to Albertville
Quote:
Exact tolls (August 2008) (and at 31/08/2009 ) are here:
The tolls are €68.90 72.40 so that's €137.80 144.80 there and back or around £107 129.68 at today's exchange rate.

To be precise
A26 Calais to Reims 267.2K € 18.90 20.20
A26 Reims to Villefranche limas 381.0k €26.90 28.10
A4 Reims to APRR 105.7k €8.60 9.10
A43 St Quentin F. Barriere to Chambery Nord 67k €9.80 10.20
A43 Chignin Barriere to Ste Helene Barriere 36.0K €4.70 4.80

Total as at August 2008 €68.90 72.40

My 4x4 does around 30/35 mpg. Diesel is marginally cheaper in France so I reckon on about £155 each way

From http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44343&start=40#1063249

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-11-09 17:10; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Tolls Calais to Albertville
Quote:
Exact tolls (August 2008) are here:
The tolls are €68.90 so that's €137.80 there and back or around £107 at today's exchange rate.

To be precise
A26 Calais to Reims 267.2K € 18.90
A26 Reims to Villefranche limas 381.0k €26.90
A4 Reims to APRR 105.7k €8.60
A43 St Quentin F. Barriere to Chambery Nord 67k €9.80
A43 Chignin Barriere to Ste Helene Barriere 36.0K €4.70

Total as at August 2008 €68.90

My 4x4 does around 30/35 mpg. Diesel is marginally cheaper in France so I reckon on about £155 each way

From http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44343&start=40#1063249

they've gone up a little since then (end of march IIRC)
snow report
bertie bassett, Updated cost as at 31.08.2009 now shown in brown in my post above
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett, Updated cost as at 31.08.2009 now shown in brown in my post above

Pedantic me? Never...

I did recall it was a round 15 euro for the 1st 2 tolls coming from the Tarentaise...sad I know but...
snow report
I would have though that what you save in tolls you spend on fuel accelerating and braking a lot more.

Some of the route to the Pyrenees is toll free autoroute standard (A20) if I remember rightly.
snow report
Just smash straight through the toll barriers like they do in the movies wink
latest report
Thank you all guys and robw in particular. confirms what i thought. Actually heading down from dunkirk as my girlfirends in Bruge. Have driven in belguim before and seemed pretty quick to get down to Luxembourg. But after that could be slow going though
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Tried once, have paid for the tolls ever since.
Yes, I only tried it the once. Think I got about 1/3 of the way down and gave in.
latest report
We often do "off toll" for the southern part of the journey (between Calais and Reims is just dire, though we have done it). But that's always been in the summer, when you can shop in the morning for fresh baguettes, cheese and fruit, and sit by a river or a canal for an hour for a sleepy picnic etc. In the winter, we generally just get on with it, and pay. Oddly enough, although the journey takes a lot longer off the péage, it's so much less boring that it doesn't feel like it. The best journey we did I spent a happy time planning a route which was almost all on "picturesque" routes as defined by Michelin (ie the roads with a green line along them). It was delightful - but it's not the way to go if you have a one week ski holiday and limited time off work.

On one occasion when I was determined to do the whole way without péage I got done for speeding through a completely deserted village, with no speed limit signs at all (but it had a name, so I should have been going at 50 kph). I was racing through this desert of a place, where the last sentient inhabitant must have moved out in about 1974, at a good clip - oh, must have been 43 mph. That cost me 90 euros so was a bit of a false economy. Sad
latest report
On my motorbike tours I now just set the sat nav to avoid toll roads. And program in every high Alpine pass I can find Cool
snow report
Like pam w, says, if you want to see lots of lovely pretty little spots, eat nicer lunches and tootle your way to the slopes it is good. Until you get behind Fermier Permier and his grand tracteur...or mad Tante Nelly and her compulsory beige peugeot 205...all good fun in summer when it is all an adventure...

The tolls prices that Boredsurfing, quotes came out about similar for our summer trip down to Annecy.

So the answer is, yes it is doable, and has its attractions if you want to discover what a fantastic place rural France is.
latest report
Scarpa, however, this would be a poor strategy in January. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

this would be a poor strategy in January

the motards seem to disappear in the winter. I think they hibernate, like marmottes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Laughing
snow conditions
I'm busy nesting.
ski holidays
My wife made me do it once (she was Scotish) because she wanted to see more of France rolling eyes she then slept most of the way.
I spent more than the tolls on a room and meals for the night and lost a day at each end. I don't do that now!!!
latest report
Quote:

she was Scotish

Shocked

past tense....
latest report
and mis-spelt....

and ungrateful?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy