Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter family holiday costs??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
if people ever stopped to analyse how much they spent on sking.. they would never go Shocked wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to book for easter as soon as the flights came out and usually ended up paying about a grand for all four of us, but noticed that round christmas time, especially boxing day, the prices sank alot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, looking at the 3rd and not really flexible on this. I think as I said at the beginning I really needed a sanity check, "is this about right or way over the odds".

Even though there has been some great suggestions here and I've researched them to see if they fit with our position it still feels as though the £3k mark is where it's at for a family of four, for that week, including hire and lift passes, staying at what I would call sensible/good standard accommodation.

I'm sure we could find a shoe box with questionable beds etc, but I am booking a holiday not some kind of challenge to see how little sleep we can survive on. And that still leaves us with flights which I'm not finding cheaply at all.

Funny thing is it's taking so long to make my mind up I'm almost talking myself out of going at all. I think I read too many "we've just booked a deal for £125 a head all in" articles/posts (not just here) and I end up thinking I'm mad for paying so much more. But I seriously cannot see how I can reduce the costs beyond a certain level without walking to the mountains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, yep, I'm beginning to think that too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnnyh, Have you tried a site such as www.skyscanner.net to find your flights? it is a lot easier than using the airlines own websites.
If you are thinking of a DIY holiday why not look at flying out on a day other than Saturday to reduce the cost of flights. For instance you could fly from Bristol to Geneva on Friday night 26th March, hire a car from the French side of Geneva and stay in a family room at the Novotel near the airport, it is a 5-10 minute drive. You can return the following Sunday night to Bristol so you have the possibility of 9 days skiing for approximately £1500 for the Accommodation, flights, car hire, petrol, tolls and hotel.
Obviously you have the extra cost for ski hire, lift pass etc. but you don't have to ski every day. It would mean booking the accommodation for 8 nights but, our French teachers chalet is available for that week, and she would probably be happy to book it out for 8 nights. Alternatively you could book the saturday night in a hotel close to where you are staying.
I based my costs on £527 for the return flights (includes carriage of 2 bags), £234 for car hire (Citreon Berlingo), £590 for the 3 bedroom chalet for 8 nights, £80 for the Novotel family room (including a good buffet breakfast) and £70 for petrol, tolls, vignette etc.
It is possible to book something at a similar price the following 2 weeks, send me a pm or give me a call if you want any more details, you can find my contact details on our website which also includes details of the chalet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyh, We've booked Aime La Plagne for 2nd week of Easter next year (10th-17th) and for a family of 5 we're paying £3800 s/c. A bit more than we coughed up this year but we've gone for a slightly larger apartment. Picked the resort because of the altitude and a glacier so guaranteed skiing.

Main expense is lift passes plus equipment and lessons for my wife and the kiddies.

We're seriously thinking of DIY and driving (or even trying the train) in the future to keep the cost down.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blunty, there are plenty of threads about the relative costs of driving or flying. Lots of variables, of course, but even with 4 in a car it isn't necessarily cheaper. Depends how canny you are about buying your flights. Whether you spend a night in a hotelen route. etc etc etc

The sad truth is there's no cheap way of taking a family on a ski holiday. And no painless way of getting there. Flights and transfers can get cancelled or held up. Driving can end up stuck for hours in traffic jams or sorting out snowchains in a blizzard.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyh, Just noticed you are after something the week of the 3rd April, flights and hotel are available and still at the same price, car hire is a bit more expensive as is the accommodation for that week. Our 3 bedroom apartment is available and we would be happy to book you in for 8 nights if that helps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, agreed. Tactics so far have been book early (no chance to back out last minute as not enough money saved) and set up a direct debit to the savings account, then pray that there are no unexpected major expenses between then and final payment date (like a dead car or a hole in the roof!) wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blunty, Would agree with ollski, about booking flights early if you are thinking of a DIY holiday for Easter.

You don't have to book the accommodation for Easter too far in advance, New Year week and February half term are the complete opposite. At the moment there is a load of privately owned accommodation still available for Easter whereas New Year and February half term has nearly all gone. You usually only have to pay a deposit to secure the accommodation and the balance is only due a few weeks before the start of your holiday.

Car hire prices don't tend to vary by much over the year so you can book that when finances pemit and you can pay for your lift passes when you are out in resort.

I find it helps spread the cost over the year and you don't feel you've spent as much as when you pay it all in one go.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what about flying from Stansted to Friedrichshafen with Ryanair, a quick check got me to 132.22 GB PP excluding bags
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did easyjet Liverpool geneva easter before last four of us flights were £1440. Admittedly these flights were not the cheapest times but most convenient for the kids.
Last year in Flaine (Montsoleil by any chance?) got a hire car for just over £100 and stopped at a supermarket in cluses to stock up to keep food costs down. Money can be saved but it is a balancing act between convenience and cost.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
train is generally much more expensive pp than flying (from London, anyway)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Getting flights as early as possible is definitely the way to go for diy. You can fill in the blanks later. We paid £300 for our xmas flights (x4 inc bags) on the day of release, same booking today would be £915.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
how does one know when fligths are released? or is there a general 330 day rule?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ok, here's my amateur travel agent's effort:

3/4/10 to 10/4/10 to St Luc, Switzerland

Flights - flybe Exeter-Geneva - £1011, call it £1100 inc bags
Transfer - Swiss transfer ticket - £150
Accom - large appt in St Luc - £845
Lift pass - anniviers 6 days £400 inc family discount
Equipment hire - http://www.intersportrent.com/switzerland (1 adult ski + 2 junior skis + boots) £285

Total = £2780
ski holidays
 brian
brian
boardiac, it varies with carrier. I have a script running on a server at work that sends me a text when easyjet release new Edinburgh - Geneva flights, but I accept that's not a solution for everyone. Laughing
snow report
boardiac,
Quote:

how does one know when fligths are released? or is there a general 330 day rule?

You can sign up to the mailing lists of the airlines and they will notify you when flights go on sale, special offers etc. Easyjet, bmibaby, and jet2.com are pretty good at sending out regular reminders or offers. Ryanair seem to have sale offers every other week and then all communication seems to stop for months.
snow report
Quote:

You can sign up to the mailing lists of the airlines and they will notify you when flights go on sale

but usually not till several days later, in my experience. snowheads generally has the news well before easyJet ever send me an email
snow conditions
johnnyh,
Quote:

Without trying to sound flash saving a couple of hundred pounds probably isn't worth it for the extra DIY hassle (for me). I would DIY if the saving were close to a thousand pounds but to save less but find myself driving extra miles/hours to a different airport or struggling with hire cars/transfers won't be a good start - I'm not an experienced DIY ski traveller and I'm easily overwhelmed by quite how many things I need to organise and arrange just to get the family and I onto the piste.

I think if you look carefully you should be able to save more tha a couple of hundred pounds. If you don't want the hassle of DIY that is quite understandable. Whnat I would point out though is that it is not actually very difficult to put these things together and, if you are stuck with school holiday time for a few years to come the savings will undoubtedly mount up, as you get the hang of it you will probably save far more than you do at the moment by getting the flights early etc.
Good luck with whatever you choose anyway. snowHead
snow report
pam w, Maybe they send them out to people on their mailing lists in alphabetical order. Is it Alan Aardvark who usually lists them on snowheads first?????
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I get lots of mails from easyjet about their sales starting, trying to get me to buy speedy boarding, etc. etc. but they never tell me when flights are released. Sad
ski holidays
johnnyh, Couple of if’s
If Morzine is Ok
If you can travel on the Sunday 4th.
We can offer you our two bedroom S/c Appt for £725.
Transfers for 4 Geneva return at 300 Euro’s.

I have not spotted the childrens ages so
PDS 6 day pass for 4 adults is 810 Euro’s
Cheaper for under 16’s
Cheaper if you only take a Morzine/Avoriaz or a Morzine/Les Gets pass.

Gear hire
http://www.allmountainrental.com/prices.htm have a simple pricing page. You can probably get cheaper on line, but we rate their service.
Where you intend to ski has a bearing on where to hire.

Your flights from Brizzle may be cheaper on Sundays.

Will leave you to do the maths. Hope it comes out cheaper than your initial amount Little Angel
latest report
brian, When I registered with them you had to indicate which destinations you were interested in. It was years ago and I don't know if that option is still available.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
skichampcouk, yep, I'm signed up for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Geneva and Malpensa. I did get release updates in the dim and distant but not recently.
snow report
I've been looking around for family bargains at easter and found that swiss and austrian resorts tend to be a lot cheaper than france for lift passes.

for instance, Zermatt and Ishgl (both big ski areas with high altitide ski areas) are surprisingly good value for my family demographic for the week of 10/4.

Zermatt lets my 7 year old ski for free and my 11 and 14 year old ski at a significant discount to the full adult price.
Most French resorts will charge adult for the eldest and a child for the youngest. Might be worth matching your family ages with the various tarrif bands at a selection of resorts. (someone should start a thread for this !)

Have just booked apartment in fairly central Zermatt building which looks pretty reasonable for £1300 chf (about £750).

with switzerland, you can transfer the whole family from any airport in switzerland to your resort for £150 (2xtransfer ticket for adults, all kids under 16 free), so you can flexibly travel to the cheapest airport in switz and then enjoy a tour of the country to your chosen resort. It even includes post buses at the end if you need them.

If you've got an apartment for the week, you don't need to travel out on Saturday. You could save a stack of cash by going out on sunday or flying back on friday.

Can't think of a way of saving on the equipment though....

d

d
snow report
pendodave, lots of French resorts do have family passes for under 18's though.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
pendodave, lots of French resorts do have family passes for under 18's though.

True enough, but family circs may render this less generous than it might be.

For instance, both val disere and trois valley state that their pass is only for 2 adults and 2 kids, so once an extra kid is added on, the prices (all converted at today's rates) for my 7, 11, 14 situation are :
tv £825
esp K £824
ishgl £594 (7 year old is free)
zermatt £523 (7 and 11 year old free)

Now I'm not trying to nail the French, but it is worth checking if you family circumstances match up with the discounting structure. For example, if you had 3 kids between 7 and 11, Zermatt would be a real bargain, but if you had two and they were both 13 then the family passes in France would suddenly be best.

d
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pendodave, I agree, we got stung in Banff, as under 12's go free, and ours were 12 and 13. There were youth rates for the individual mountains, but only an adult rate for the BIg3. I ended up juggling multi day passes for each mountain, which saved us a considerable amount over the Big 3 pass (we had a hire car so didn't need the ski bus).
ski holidays
Just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has commented here. We really appreciate the time and effort people have gone to cost out holidays in this post.

As a family we were amazed at how helpful everyone has been with their responses and how creative some of the solutions are for saving money - absolutely brilliant responses from you all. Thank you so much.

We are now in the process of working out which will suit us the best.

Thank you

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy