Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen trip, help/advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I am planning a trip to Wengen at the end of January 10 and I am looking for some advice re rail travel, ski passes, etc i have checked out the rail passes website and all looks easy to use. Is this the best way to do the skihire and lift passes?

There are 6 of us travelling out and I had considered hiring a car and driving to Lauterbrunnen and then just getting the train the last part of the journey, but having read how well the rail system works I am thinking that maybe I should just brave the train? If so what sort of ticket am I loooking for, just a transfer ticket? As I assume the other discounts or included journeys do not include the Mountain Railway that services Wengen?

All answers/advice welcomed please x
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welsh Totty, Hi there, for ease getting a train from your arrival airport is by far the simplest method, Transfer ticket gives you a return journey from your point of entry to Switzerland to your resort and back to your point of exit (entry and exit do not have to be the same). At Zurich and Geneva airports the stations are within teh airport structure itself, Basle involves a bus journey from teh airport to the station, Bern is teh same although you may find at Bern that there is a private bus which can take you straight to Lauterbrunnen in 45mins for less money than a transfer ticket if not then you need a quick bus journey to the local (Belp station) then a couple of changes and here it is cheaper to buy tickets locally.

Transfer ticket will take you up to Wengen but no further.

Easy to get ski passes in the village, you can get them direct from the railway (and I think cable car) station or if staying at a hotel many of them will be able to sort your passes for you, there is a small deposit for each pass which you get back at then end of your stay when you return them. You can pick up ski passes the night before you start to ski until I think maybe 8pm might be 10pm from teh railway station and this is well worth doing to avoid the queues in the morning.

You can get a free days skiing with the DHO rep and another free days skiing with the SCGB rep should you wish to try either, if you've not been to the area before it's well worth it, Sunday is always a gentle introduction to the area suitable for most standards above complete beginner, DHO and SCGB can be found in the DHO clubhouse in teh former hotel Eiger which is right next to teh Railway station

Any further questions please feel free to ask
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welsh Totty, Advice from D G Orf, spot on as usual, the train transfer is excellent, sit back and enjoy the views Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dave moores, but I still cannot type "the" without looking Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welsh Totty,

As mentioned above the train is a good way of getting to Wengen.

Of the airports mentioned my preference is Zurich, it's pleasant and relaxed whereas Geneva is chaotic on transfer day.

You might want to look at the fly-luggage service offered by Swiss Rail.

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/im-bahnhof/reisegepaeck/flyrail-baggage.htm
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with rich.ll, I don't mind Geneva, but on transfer day (Saturday) it can be a nightmare. Zurich is much more convenient.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi thanks for all the advice, I have been a bit slack in getting it sorted but I have sat down with my pen and paper now to try and get it sorted. So I need to book the transfer tickets before I go , but am I best just getting the ski passes when I get there, or should I prebook them or anything? I am going to try and have a look into Ski hire now too, any suggestions? Thank you again x
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welsh Totty, Yep get transfer tickets before you go, ski passes and ski hire are easy to sort in resort, for ski hire I usually suggest Central Sport simply because 1. They have loads of good kit in stock and 2. In all teh time I've been going to Wengen I've not had a problem with them, Central are surprisingly located in teh center of the village close to the cable car station.

If you still plan to arrive Jan 10 I wouldn't worry about pre booking as it should be fairly quiet save for teh build up to the Lauberhorn Race
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, you still can't type the without looking! I noticed it on another thread too, ha ha!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, no I seem to have a blind spot with that particular word Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy