Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepest pisted run ever?

Poster: A snowHead
christianmurray, Although Corbet's is marked on the piste map, there is no way it can be classified as a piste. What the film shows is the easy way into Corbet,s which needs a reasonable amount of snow. The "fun" ways in are to jump in off the cliff to the right of what they are skiing down or to the left. The right is the big jump while to the left isn't too bad.

The top section is probably a little over 45 degrees but at the place the faller stops, it is less than that and the rest of the couloir is abot 35 degrees. As is often the case with the US, Corbet's is slightly over hyped wink But what can you expect in a resort where there is a sign above the cable car entrance stating that the mountain is like nothing you have skied before , it being so vast when in fact it is probably no bigger than the Slaise sector of Val D'Isere!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SimonN, have you skied it then?

This is the first time I've seen footage/pictures of Corbet's which I thought looked skiable. I'd probably still bottle it though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alan empty, Once or twice wink And I promise you that it is not false bravardo to say it isn't as bad as it looks. In fact, the only issue with that route in is controlling your speed but there is enough room to the left (out of shot). Look how easy the last skier makes it look, although I am fairly certain that it is Doug Coombs, ex Wolrld extreme Ski Champ and founding member of the Jackson Hole Air force. Only reason I am not 100% sue its him is the uncharacteristic small mistake made but the hops over the rocks, hairstyle and colour of boots are right!

I haven't had the b###s to go for the "big" enterance off the right hand cliff but the other enterances are very managemable. In fact, the one they are skiing in the film is really not at all bad and I have seen some very average skiers do it. Once in, its easy. You need more courage than skill, unless you really decide that the way in is to pop some big air. I think the reason it has its reputation is that you don't need to be a god to ski it and therefroe it is skied by a reasonable number of people.

For scary, there is a couloir next door that needs a 30 ft jump onto a 45 degree slope and very little margin for error. IIRC, its called the hourglass and if you don't spot the landing, you get sucked into the narrowing sides of the hourglass and it could get very painful!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SimonN, yeah, that's the hourglass. the other side of Corbets is the Cajun Couloir. Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SimonN, now that sounds scary.

I've always thought that if I ever get to JH then I'd have to at least consider doing it. I feel a little more confident from seeing the clip and reading what you've posted.

"more courage than skill" - yeah, I'd definitely be terrified standing at the top!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, I really don't remember Cajun at all! Must be getting old! As you look up, Hourglass is on the left so I assume Cajun is on the right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
*WARNING, THE FOLLOWING TRUE STORY MAY UPSET THE SQUEAMISH*

SimonN, I thought you might have known about it, although it is more of a sick joke among the locals than a commonly known story.
This is how the Cajun Couloir got its name...
A few years ago, two gentlemen from New Orleans (hence the Cajun bit) were skiing Jackson. The weather had closed in quite a bit, and it resembled Grand Fogee (up the road). Anyway, they wanted to get another run in from the top of the tram. They went up, came out the tram, and headed down by the pylons. One of them got a bit further ahead of the other, and the other one decided that he must have skied off TO THE LEFT. He hadn't and was actually stopped just ahead, waiting for his friend. His friend headed off TO THE LEFT, and disappeared out of site. So, he thought his friend knew what he was doing, and followed him.

They both skiied off the cliff beside the pylon near Corbets. At least, when the ski patrol saw the tracks, and then found the bodies, that is what they surmised had happened.

http://www.theskishop.co.uk/stewart/images/epic04/107_0763.JPG
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Now you mention it, I do remember the story but I cannot remember the name "Cajun". They do get a bit paranoid about the top section when visabilty closes in because of the cliffs, and not just those ones.

The picture does show just how big and wide Corbet's really is.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Toofy Grin

Forget the percentages and the angles. when I was ascending on the lift with my friend who is a ski instructor in austria has been for fifteen years, the only two people coming down it were travelling at about sixty miles an hour without skis and didnt stop until they reached the bowl at the bottom.

When we got to the top of the lift the sign leaves you in no doubt as to what is coming and when you actually reach the ledge and look down the only thing you see are your feet ! It was hard packed and icy, best to go for it without thinking. We incidentally were the only people I spotted that day who arrived at the bottom the same time as their skis !...... best to try it before commenting on degrees and percentages.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SussexSnow wrote:
What was Giles technique? Did it involv additional kit?

I presume the Giles technique of self arrest referred to is this (others can correct me if I've got it wrong): If you have fallen and are sliding down the slope, move your body position so that you are sliding feet first with the front of the body against the slope. If you then do a push-up, this will remove most of your body from contact with the slope, and the only points of contact remaining are your hands and tips of your boots (or the edge of your skis if you still have them on) which provides much more friction and braking resistance.

I have only used this once, when some friends Puzzled took me onto an icy black run first thing in the morning which I had never skied before. I fell, lost both skis and started sliding. Quite a frightening experience, not knowing what I was sliding down into Shocked but having read of the technique I tried it, and it worked Very Happy
The only injury was to my pride (although my laundry bill nearly got some hammer wink )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
atb, welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

show a couple of shots of one of my favorite bowls at Breck.

This one is from Copper.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The run in the picture is indeed the Couloir Extreme (technically on Blackcomb, but I have no problem with refering to both mountains as Whistler. Someone early stated that they thought it was at the top of Whistler - you are probably thinking of the run that is called simply "Couloir" - which is indeed at the top of the Whistler side). C.E. starts off near the top of 7th Heaven, and empties out near the top of Jersey Cream. It's steepness is bad enough (I have heard 45 degrees, no idea if this is the official measurement or not, but it seems right from looking at it), but what makes it really tough is the fact that you have to drop in off a cornice to start. And it's really narrow.
Just to clarify, that is NOT a picture that I have taken, and I have NOT skied/boarded this run. I just found that pic on the internet to contribute it to the previous steeps thread. I do have friends who've skied it a bunch of times without injury, but they are much better/crazier skiers than me Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
atb, at certain points from the lift ascent it doesn't look too bad but you just know that when you arrive at the top it will look vertical and your legs will turn to jelly. You're right, just go for it, don't stand their and think about it. When I return there in a couple of years I'll give it a go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thought a couple of gratuitious pictures of Corbetts couloir might help!!

Try this

or
this

Guess it does not really count as it's never pisted.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
SussexSnow wrote:
What was Giles technique? Did it involv additional kit?

I presume the Giles technique of self arrest referred to is this (others can correct me if I've got it wrong): If you have fallen and are sliding down the slope, move your body position so that you are sliding feet first with the front of the body against the slope. If you then do a push-up, this will remove most of your body from contact with the slope, and the only points of contact remaining are your hands and tips of your boots (or the edge of your skis if you still have them on) which provides much more friction and braking resistance.

Exactly right, Alastair. In my case I had lost my skis (In retrospect the guide should have got us to crank up our bindings before doing it). Of course, on a slope as steep as that a full push-up gets your body almost vertical, so I only got my chest a couple of inches off the slope the time it worked.
(I didn't give the full account again, but for the few who haven't read it here it is.
ski holidays
Whilst it is commonly accepted that I'm a loon, I did take a look at the videos from Corbett's and think "well it's not all that" - looks to me like if you can stay on your feet for the first 3/4 seconds the rest is a breeze. Confused
snow report
I would be interested to know what this self-arrest technique involves. Half of the problem on steep slopes is wondering how you will stop yourself when you fall. Knowing that you can stop yourself sliding makes all the difference. One of my most enjoyable days on snow was learning how to self-arrest with an ice axe. Flinging yourself down a steep slope, picking up as much speed as you dare & then attempting to stop without stabbing yourself with the axe! I didn't realise you could have so much fun on snow without skis!!
ski holidays
sazza42, I learnt to glissade quite a long time before learning to ski. I always found it fun, but I've not done it in over two decades!
snow conditions
Dave J,

I have never been to JH but always thought I would do Corbett's. This puts a different angle on it and if this is the only way in, might have to think again.
ski holidays
ssh,

Great pics, which skis are you on...??
latest report
JT, well, there are other ways in which involve cliffs...

Oh, and I don't think that's ssh in the photos.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,

Well, if it isn't ssh, it should be...!!!

I thought I would cowboy over the rocks somehow but I guess I will have to see it
snow report
sazza42 wrote:
I would be interested to know what this self-arrest technique involves.
See a few lines above where you wrote this.
latest report
JT wrote:
Dave J,

I have never been to JH but always thought I would do Corbett's. This puts a different angle on it and if this is the only way in, might have to think again.
That's the easy way in!! The next easiest is to jump off the rocks to the left, about a 15ft jump. The real macho way in is off the cliff to the right, about 30ft. I haven't had the nerve for that one but I saw a guy pop that carrying a full professional video camera and sound recording equipement!

The entrance to Corbets is very different depending on the amount of snow. I have seen it where you can get turns on the first section and where it really is very easy. the video clips and pictures show it at its "normal" degree of difficulty. As I pointed out above, it can be skied in control and there is enough room. Try not to throw yourself down it but pick your root and its perfectly managable.
snow conditions
Worth a look... snowHead

http://winter.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100304/100631/100481/harakiri_spot_mayrhofen_steepest_slope_Austria.html
snow report
kewhoward, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Loved the unexpected (visual) punchline!
ski holidays
kewhoward, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kewhoward, nice - but a con... Wink

[pedant mode] using an inclinometer the angle of the PB in the final shot is 64 degree, and of the stream of liquid 62-64 degrees... and Harakiri is 38 degrees average and I'd be pretty sure it doesn't get to anywhere near 60. [/pedant mode]
latest report
Advertisers and marketeers take artistic licence SHOCKER
ski holidays
Dr John, indeed - and nicely done too. But in the UK I suspect they could get done by the ASA if that were bogus
snow report
stoatsbrother, to be fair, no-one's going to believe Hemel is anywhere near that steep
snow report
from memory the Direttissima run from the top of Zwolferkopf in Fiss is about a 70-75% slope. Steep, but grwat fun..
Kamakazii next too it is also a bit of a giggle.
ski holidays
Bob, as I am sure you know, 70% is only 35 degrees. Not very steep really. 100% is 45 degrees

I wish resorts would stick to degrees.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy