Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Begginers resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my girlfriend away skiing for the first time! but there will be several others in the group who have been lots of times. Where would suit? I'm looking for somewhere with a cheap beginners pass (including ski school),but with plenty of area for the rest of us.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Deux Alpes has quite a few (7 I think) free lifts for beginners at resort level so she'd only have to buy a pass mid-week and there is plenty of scope for the rest of you. www.easiski.com offers reasonably priced lessons. I've also been told ADH is a beginners' paradise with tons of nice easy slopes - I am going there in Feb so no personal experience so far.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For a complete beginner as Butterfly says L2A is good in that it has the free lifts in resort although don't be tempted to buy them the cheap lift pass thinking it covers a number of blues: it does but they are tough blues, later in the week she should be able to go to the top of the hill too as the pistes up there are very gentle.

AdH is also very good with a massive gentle area just above the town although the runs at the top of the hill are harder.

To be entirely honest for a complete beginner anywhere will be good as a nursery slope is a nursery slope wherever you are. Things become more complicated once you have a large mix of abilities from 2nd weekers up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi andyjc.

I actually came on to write a very similar post to yours! Hope you don't mind if add my question as it is practically the same?

(For those of you who read my last post - the misses saw the physio and has been told she should be ok to ski - although will probably ache far more than the average person due to the way her body copes with her pre-existing back problem) so we have decided to give it a go - thinking January time? If possible not too expensive? as we have a wedding and a new house to pay for!

I am an rusty advanced skier- just not done proper skiing for a while but still have had many an hour of fun in a dome and i'm a lot fitter now than i was at my last mountain visit... but the lovely fiance is a complete (and slightly nervous) beginner. So looking for somewhere to cater for both of us? and also somewhere where there are on offer a few non-skiing activities - visits to local towns etc maybe? Just as i dont think she'll appreciate me spending all my time away from her skiing up and down blacks - think id be in the doghouse!

Cheers, Martin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My immediate thoughts were Andorra, but it may be slightly tame and i think beginners still have to buy the full expensive Grand Vallira pass. There must be some areas where beginners can get in ski school and buy a beginners pass, the idea being that maybe later in the week when she is more competent we can get a couple of afternoon extensions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski School is defo the way forward. Teaching someone to ski, is like teaching someone to drive. I have had ski poles fired at me like darts, after some impatience and lack of consideration on my part.

In a school, getting pushed along by your new buddies don't you think most people come down slopes on say day 3 they thought they would never tackle in their lives?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 19-11-09 10:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez. Dunno about any free lifts, but there's miles and miles of green nursery stuff, alongside a gigantic area of proper.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyjc, another thing I'd consider is what pedestrian access there is to restaurants up on the mountain, eg served by gondola/cable car. On my first ever trip NONE were accessible if you weren't good enough to ski down from them - and I wasn't until the last day so I couldn't even meet my skiing friends for lunch unless they came back to the resort. That leads to a feeling of being left out and resenting having seen nothing of the area. I cannot speak for places I haven't been and I am sure there are plenty of areas that are good in this respect. For example L2A has access for non-skiers to several areas, including to the glacier where you could take her up the funicular to visit the ice grotto and for a ride in a converted piste-basher (Croisiere Blanche) right up to the very top. A plan for there could be to not buy a pass for the first few days at all, but to have tuition on the free lifts and then to buy a pass which allows access to both the other ski areas AND all the lifts as a pedestrian too. On progressing from the resort area, there is a really nice green at the "Cretes" served by a gentle 2-man chair, with a good restuarant at the bottom. Additionally the Puy Salie up on the glacier is a great easy run to progress on to and it can be accessed either by a T-bar drag or on the funicular from the glacier restaurant. Given decent progress, some skiers in their first week can get good enough to be taken all the way down from the glacier to Cretes. It's all blues, but there are some parts that can be challenging. To do something like that though gives a fantastic sense of achievement - it was a major thing for me anyway!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
in my opinion the best way to learn is just go for it. I was skiing with my mates after 3 days. They were a bruising 3 days I'll admit,but i learned alot quicker than anyone i've seen in ski school. But i was only 21 at the time! Had a few lessons the following year,seemed to help with technique. But...seriously i know that ski school is the way forward for her, I just know that she will progress fairly steadily,there is even a danger she might not take to it.....therfore I don't want to have to pay for a pass for an entire area for her when she won't use it.
There must be some resorts where you can go in ski school on a beginners area pass,so you pay for ski school/pass,all in one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, I am off to Madonna soon and most of the group are complete beginners and will get some lessons I believe they will go to the above area. How long will they stay there? I am a beginning intermediate so will not have lessons, ok on blue runs. Will I be able to ski from this area as I will be transporting the others around? Any info on this area would be great, including costs of lifts for this area.

Mark
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin81, that's good news! Perhaps you could also post that on the original thread so those who contributed can hear the outcome, in case they don't check hear. Always good to hear the end of the story!

In terms of resort I'd suggest Wengen as I did in your original thread - as it has loads of activities if your fiancee decides she doesn't want to ski every day. Plus most of the restaurants can be reached either by mountain railway or cable car, so beginners can still see lots of the mountain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyjc wrote:
in my opinion the best way to learn is just go for it. I was skiing with my mates after 3 days. They were a bruising 3 days I'll admit,but i learned alot quicker than anyone i've seen in ski school. But i was only 21 at the time! Had a few lessons the following year,seemed to help with technique. But...seriously i know that ski school is the way forward for her, I just know that she will progress fairly steadily,there is even a danger she might not take to it.....therfore I don't want to have to pay for a pass for an entire area for her when she won't use it.
There must be some resorts where you can go in ski school on a beginners area pass,so you pay for ski school/pass,all in one.

I agree that works when your with your 'mates' but not when you're with your 'mate'!

"You told me this was an easy slope, this is far too difficult for me and you knew that, I'm never listening to you again, I hate you etc etc."

You're far better off letting some hunky/gorgeous ski instructor do the leading, learners will follow them off the end of the earth.

Best piece of instruction I ever got was from an absolutely gorgeous Swedish girl who told me - 'Fraser you don't sh*t the turn, you f*ck it'.

Not surprisingly that has stuck with me over several years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Canada is pretty good as most easy slopes have a corresponding harder one as an option and the instruction is amazing.It really works for a mixed ability group as ski school is only in the morning so your other half will be able to join in with you all taking it in turns to go with her the easy way down in the afternoon.
Like someone else said though for a beginner it really does not matter nursery slopes are nursery slopes everywhere but ski school is a must and let her set the tempo dont push or you will put her off.My only other advice would be somewhere high with good snow records as there is nothing worse than poor conditions if your not that confident.
Claire
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpe d'Huez for me too. It has the best progression from absolute beginner I have found, and where I managed to get the missus skiing with confidence. Many resorts have good nursery slopes for absolute beginners but it is then a jump to the next level which puts many off. Rest of you will find plenty to do. The Tunnel sticks in my memory as a challenge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I don't want to have to pay for a pass for an entire area for her when she won't use it.

mean sod. Twisted Evil

Pay for her to have absolutely top quality lessons (easiski in LDA would be good, but don't go anywhere where you can't get good recommendations for an instructor). Invest now, or you can anticipate a lifetime of arguing about ski holidays.

And I disagree with some posters who have suggested that "a nursery slope is a nursery slope". welshskier is right. The existence of gradually more challenging slopes to progress to is absolutely crucial for a more mature, or challenged, or nervous, beginner.
ski holidays
I agree that it's about quality instruction first, and good progressive slopes to learn on. Depending on budget and season, the smaller the group the faster you can learn. And decent weather always helps Smile
snow report
Hi guys,

I couldn't agree more about the lessons. If you build a strong foundation of core skills you will enjoy your skiing more and progress much quicker in the long run.

I hope this isn't to cheeky but you should both consider lessons, a 'rusty advanced skiier' can always use a hand to become less rusty and you will find that with a good instructor you will not only brush off the cobwebs but see some improvements to!!!...........the right ski lessons are always money well spent!

if you are going to Alpe D'Huez there is a new instructor there called Rod Fraser from Glacier ski coaching. He is very good, comes well recomended check out their site at http://www.glacierskicoaching.com

I don't know about the free passes in Alpe D'huez but Les Deux Alpes definatley has some free nursery slopes. The European Ski and Snowboard School is good for group beginner lessons www.europeanskischool.com

With regards to lifts with predestrian access, again Les Deux Alpes is excellent (only one restraunt not accesable on foot i think) and I beleive that there are some possibilities in Alpe d'Heuz but you would need to check this one out!

Hope this helps!!
latest report
We learnt to ski in Passo Tonale. Crystal and Thomson do a beginners package that includes lift pass, ski school and ski and boot hire for about £170. Most hotels are across the road from where the ski school meets so it really handy as well.
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
andyjc, another thing I'd consider is what pedestrian access there is to restaurants up on the mountain, eg served by gondola/cable car. On my first ever trip NONE were accessible if you weren't good enough to ski down from them - and I wasn't until the last day so I couldn't even meet my skiing friends for lunch unless they came back to the resort. That leads to a feeling of being left out and resenting having seen nothing of the area. I cannot speak for places I haven't been and I am sure there are plenty of areas that are good in this respect. For example L2A has access for non-skiers to several areas, including to the glacier where you could take her up the funicular to visit the ice grotto and for a ride in a converted piste-basher (Croisiere Blanche) right up to the very top. A plan for there could be to not buy a pass for the first few days at all, but to have tuition on the free lifts and then to buy a pass which allows access to both the other ski areas AND all the lifts as a pedestrian too. On progressing from the resort area, there is a really nice green at the "Cretes" served by a gentle 2-man chair, with a good restuarant at the bottom. Additionally the Puy Salie up on the glacier is a great easy run to progress on to and it can be accessed either by a T-bar drag or on the funicular from the glacier restaurant. Given decent progress, some skiers in their first week can get good enough to be taken all the way down from the glacier to Cretes. It's all blues, but there are some parts that can be challenging. To do something like that though gives a fantastic sense of achievement - it was a major thing for me anyway!
I agree, for a beginner, it's lovely to be able to get to the top of the hill without having to worry about skiing down. Even better if there is an easy skiing route down from the top for when their skiing advances. Certainly gives me a great sense of achievement when I've managed to go to the top, take in the views and then ski down a not too scary slope...
snow conditions
Fifespud wrote:
Best piece of instruction I ever got was from an absolutely gorgeous Swedish girl who told me - 'Fraser you don't sh*t the turn, you f*ck it'.

Fifespud that's an all time classic, deserved of a post in Bend Ze Knees in it's own right Laughing obviously with pictures of the ski instructor demoing
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

Fifespud that's an all time classic, deserved of a post in Bend Ze Knees in it's own right Laughing obviously with pictures of the ski instructor demoing

+1, that's a keeper. Brilliant.
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

Bertie, glad you picked up on it. It is also a fantastic bit of advice. I just wish I had a photo of her because her looks enhanced the delivery and how memorable the lesson was.
latest report
certainly sounds like a more entertaining version of the traditional "shag not sh*t" advice which is relevant in so many sports (windsurfing, as one other example). However, on my "learn to snowboard in a day" course at MK, when we were side slipping on our back edges, the instructor told us to imagine we were, indeed, hovering over a rather dirty loo - needing to get low enough, but not tough it. The shag position, in that situation, would have been quite wrong. wink
snow report
Skiing: for lovers.
Snowboarding: for dirty shitters.
latest report
harryspotter wrote:
Hi, I am off to Madonna soon and most of the group are complete beginners and will get some lessons I believe they will go to the above area. How long will they stay there? I am a beginning intermediate so will not have lessons, ok on blue runs. Will I be able to ski from this area as I will be transporting the others around? Any info on this area would be great, including costs of lifts for this area.

Mark

harryspotter, I skied that area last season. The main ski domain above/around Madonna has a few "nursery" slopes for beginners. The blues are gentle - ideal for learning on IMO. You can ski out of the main domain, but I'm not sure that beginners would find it that easy if you're looking to take them elsewhere. That said, the whole Madonna region is very well linked and clearly signposted.

Difficult to answer your question on "how long will they stay there". Surely that depends on how well they advance.

Madonna is a terrific resort (as it the whole area - Folgarida and Marilleva) - I'm sure you'll have a superb time.
ski holidays
This may be worth a look ....

http://www.freshersskiweek.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy