Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains again

Poster: A snowHead
Need to buy a set of snow chains for our trip (hurrah Laughing Very Happy )

We have an XC90 and need to buy ones for the front wheels only and ovbviously they can only be 'Volvo approved' according to the volvo info.

anyone any idea which would be the right ones to get, some snow chain sites do say XC90 others just say 4x4, the volvo forum (for there is one) doesn't specify which are the right ones and since they won't exactly be cheap - nothing for a Volvo is - I thought I'd ask some experts for their help (that's you by the way) and try not to waste my money by getting the wrong ones.

Ta folks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contact www.snowchains.co.uk
They'll sort you out no problem.
Are you sure you're only to fit them on the front wheels only? The reason I say it is Volvos are notorious for killing diferentials due to having tyres of unequal circuference, normally on the same axle admittedly. I'm not sure how the centre diff works on an XC90, but it's worth checking before you kill a gearbox.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, Ha, ha, ha - it's like a foreign language!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman wrote:
Contact www.snowchains.co.uk
They'll sort you out no problem.
Are you sure you're only to fit them on the front wheels only? The reason I say it is Volvos are notorious for killing diferentials due to having tyres of unequal circuference, normally on the same axle admittedly. I'm not sure how the centre diff works on an XC90, but it's worth checking before you kill a gearbox.

that's what it says here

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_XC90/04xc90_08.htm

who am I to argue with them Puzzled I agree that you might want on all four but they know best Smile or may be make the money for the repairs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tollpepper, Do as they say then, front wheels only.
I noticed this bit, it's really important, even to the point of putting a new tyre on one wheel only, if the other wheel on the same axle is worn.

"CAUTION
The vehicle must not be driven with wheels of different dimensions or with a spare tire other than the one that came with the vehicle. The use of different size wheels can seriously damage your vehicle's transmission. "

As I said I wasn't sure about the Centre Differential arrangement in an XC90. Sounds like it's viscous coupled with bias to the front wheels, like a Freelander, only sending drive to the rear wheels if the front ones spin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tollpepper, the chap I usually drive down to the Alps with also has an XC90 with the wider wheel option. Probably not what you want to hear, but his car was next to useless when any amount of snow settled on the road, and very scary at anything more than 1mph. He bought some Maggi Traks (google it) for the front tyres. Although not cheap, they were simplicity itself putting on (and just as importantly taking off) and he hates getting his manicured hands dirty. rolling eyes It really was just a case of place chain on wheel, click a lever and drive off.

Looks similar to one of the one's on the site Spyderman recommended. May be an option for you to look at to compare.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tatty, It could be worse and be a BMW X5 Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to echo the advice about snowchains.co.uk always found them useful.

Although still waiting for the chains I ordered last week
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, Why would an X5 be worse?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I seem to recall there were several photos of X5s in ditches last year.

I assume that X5s tend to have very road based tyres and as such are next to useless in snow - although owners drive them assuming that as they are 4*4 they are invincible
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mouth?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EXCUSE ME GUYS! I have just bought an X5 and fully intend to be driving it safely up and down the mountains ALL season! And I did my homework in terms of what to buy so guys zip it!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth, are you putting snow tyres on for the winter, a much better idea if you are out all season. I love mine, even now I just have front wheel drive they are great, did not need my chains once last season.

Tollpepper, Buying chains when you get to France I would think is cheaper and you can get ones for your car from most big hypermarket stores near the auto route. If you go online you should be able to check the prices at places like Intermache, Carfour etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have just bought an X5 and fully intend to be driving it safely up and down the mountains ALL season!

Mouth, hopefully not like this! Toofy Grin

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Spyderman, Why would an X5 be worse?

Fat road tyres and driven by BMW drivers Laughing
ski holidays
Mouth wrote:
EXCUSE ME GUYS! I have just bought an X5 and fully intend to be driving it safely up and down the mountains ALL season! And I did my homework in terms of what to buy so guys zip it!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

A few quality homework videos. Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/01I3tRI8i3c

http://youtube.com/v/N_RVaFXsu9U

http://youtube.com/v/vxaB8TRTd7s&feature=related
ski holidays
Spyderman, Some typical BM driving going on there, it's not moving so accelerate Shocked
In the snow last winter here we had both an Audi and a BMW that couldn't get across the car park, acouple of Army guys told the drivers to get out and the soldiers drove both cars out onto the road very gently and with no fuss.
The owners just managed to murmur a thank you!

In that last link watch both wheels, at one point it seems to go into 2 wheel drive Laughing
Wouldn't happen with my car, I've got special buttons to press should I ever need to! and no it doesn't call the nearest Land Rover to help wink
ski holidays
Yeah, in that last clip, Everett needs to learn how to drive!. try 2nd or 3rd gear mate, and less foot. Mind you watching an X5 stuck on wet grass last weekend at a car boot sale was classic and even more fun as I towed him out without even a slip. Whats the point of a 4x2 and a bit if you completely noble it with almost slick tyres. Be better off with nova with some tread
ski holidays
Tollpepper wrote:
Need to buy a set of snow chains for our trip (hurrah Laughing Very Happy )

We have an XC90 and need to buy ones for the front wheels only and ovbviously they can only be 'Volvo approved' according to the volvo info.

anyone any idea which would be the right ones to get, some snow chain sites do say XC90 others just say 4x4, the volvo forum (for there is one) doesn't specify which are the right ones and since they won't exactly be cheap - nothing for a Volvo is - I thought I'd ask some experts for their help (that's you by the way) and try not to waste my money by getting the wrong ones.

Ta folks

What size are your tyres / wheels? I have a set of chains that I bought a couple of years ago for a Nissan Murano.
They are Weissenfels Clack-n-Go and designed for SUVs. http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/klack_and_go.htm
I have only tried them on the car and never used them.
I am looking at selling them.
ski holidays
CarlT, I've got Klack-n-Go, they're superb. Very Happy You do realise that www.snowchains.co.uk will trade them in for you in exchange. Very Happy
ski holidays
Its all about the tyres.

Check out this X3:

http://youtube.com/v/I7Mc7B9Gjeo&NR=1&feature=fvwp
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
CarlT, I've got Klack-n-Go, they're superb. Very Happy You do realise that www.snowchains.co.uk will trade them in for you in exchange. Very Happy

Thanks, I did know that.
snow conditions
Don't worry about the chains, just get one of these Subarus Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/nTDNLUzjkpg
snow report
hang11 wrote:
Don't worry about the chains, just get one of these Subarus Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/nTDNLUzjkpg

Cool video Very Happy

Been there, done that, first done in the fifties.

http://youtube.com/v/-PQw45ZBXK8

http://youtube.com/v/OznC9-Kflo8
snow conditions
Even Defenders need snow chains.

http://youtube.com/v/KCKvmvVmwPQ&feature=fvw
snow report
CarlT wrote:

What size are your tyres / wheels? I have a set of chains that I bought a couple of years ago for a Nissan Murano.
They are Weissenfels Clack-n-Go and designed for SUVs. http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/klack_and_go.htm
I have only tried them on the car and never used them.
I am looking at selling them.

235/60 R18 is the answer, is that the right size? they were one of the many we had looked at still not got my brain sorted on that one.

Would we definitely be able to get chains in France?
snow conditions
Tollpepper wrote:

No
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Tollpepper wrote:

No

That is my worry so back to the search in the UK
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never forget you have to pray to the god of chains

Note the use of mat and gloves - readily accessable as recommended here
ski holidays
Boris, that's cheating - it's not dark and you're not in a blizzard Toofy Grin
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy rolling eyes
latest report
Boris, and you wore a really old unfashionable jacket too so you didn't get your best one all mucked up. Can't be easy with your head embedded in the wing mirror.
snow report
Maybe before you buy chains you might want to consider the right type of tyre. Try this:- http://www.vredestein.com/Onlineadvies_Advies_Result.asp?SearchtypeID=1&UserSessionID=73&AutomerkID=198&AutomodelID=42&AutotypeID=7655&AutouitvoeringID=254654
You may find that chains may then not be required.
snow report
elj221c, Problem is when the local Police will only let you continue with chains regardless of the tyres fitted. Carrying chains is required by law in most Alpine areas when conditions require them.
ski holidays
Quote:

Problem is when the local Police will only let you continue with chains regardless of the tyres fitted

Yes, that's not a myth - it happens. It also happens that even with snow tyres, you can't get adequate traction. Depends on the car, how it's loaded, the geometry of the road and the nature of the snow/ice. Typically you only need chains for a short stretch - though often there is then nowhere safe to stop and get them off for a while.
ski holidays
I do also carry chains but have never needed to use them, having always had four wheel drive.
I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that the right type of tyre should be the first consideration. Typically one would use a smaller section, possibly higher profile tyre. Therefore you would need to size the chains appropriately.
ski holidays
On the search as we do need new tyres before we go, well not quite yet but will change them now rather than when we get back
snow conditions
Anyone selling Klack 'n' Go Weissenfels snow chains still? I need them to fit tyres 235/55/19. Would only consider unused chains. I'd need them by next week. Lemme know. Thanks, AnneCat
snow conditions
AnneCat, welcome to snowHead

snowchains.co.uk is often recommended here, I got some Klack and Go from them in December
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
AnneCat, welcome to snowHead

snowchains.co.uk is often recommended here, I got some Klack and Go from them in December

Thanks Boris. That will be my first port of call if no-one has any to sell - they've been recommended to me. AnneCat
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy