Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

working as a transfer driver...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had ever working as a transfer driver for companies such as Alpybus, mountain express etc etc?

Myself and my partner are looking at moving to maybe chamonix next year, and this type of work seems to fit quite well as it pays a wage rather than paying with accomodation/lift pass etc as we want to take out a long term rental and remain in resort year round.

I was wondering therefore......

Does it pay enough to make ends meet?
What experience was it that was most relevent to secure the job?
Is there any year round work?
Do they pay to UK bank accounts or do you need a french account? (something were looking at anyway for resendency..)

And probably a hundred other questions that i've forgotton....

Thanks guys,
Pete
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cantridepete, they (and similar) are advertising on Natives at the moment, and some of their staff post on the forum - try asking there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks lizzard, i'll have a search around. i wasnt sure if applying directly or through natives was the way to go really.

I'll have a looksy now Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cantridepete, don't think it really matters how you apply, but if you're after general advice quite a few people on the forum have done transfer driving.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bear in mind though that transfer day is normally *much* quieter and thus one of the preferred days for skiing Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, i've had a search but there is no specifics really to help answer my questions. (not all of them, it seems that they do employ on french contracts though which is a good thing for us)

I was going to see if i can get some work (even if its unpaid) working in the UK. But i'm not sure if I need to try and get skid pan training, advanced driving test etc etc......

A lot of the jobs discussed on natives are more resort driving jobs, rather than working with the dedicated transfer companies. I'll keep looking though Smile

i'm not bothered about missing the quieter day on the slope really, more interested in making a living and remaining in resort tbh.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cantridepete,
The advanced driving and skid pan training are not required by most operators I have dealt with however I am sure it can only help your application, the driving positions are popular. As the vehicles generally carry a maximum of 8 passengers a normal car licence is okay. Companies will be looking for people who have held a drivers licence for a minimum of 3 years and over a certain age for insurance purposes.

It is good work if you can get the right contract.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i might get myself on one or the other, or both before completing a cv for next season. I want to do everything to make sure I get the right job really.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are going to check out skid pan training make sure you check out the facilities in advance and know exactly what you're paying for. I was bought a gift package for Knockhill, circa £120, for two hours skid pan training. Well and good - until I turned up and found out I was sharing with two more people. That meant that in total I probably had 25 mins max behind the wheel in a two hour session, the rest of the time sat in the back listening to the same lesson a further two times rolling eyes It was a massive let down.

Book one to one, and make sure it's bona-fide coaching rather than an 'experience' package.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any legitimate transfer operator that is based in France MUST pay you under a French Contract. You will then qualify to apply for your Carte Vitale (French Social Health Care Benefits) which is something you will need if you are planning to become resident here.

Check carefully the hours and terms of any contract. Some companies will work you into the ground (illegally) when its busy, and dump you in January when its quiet. Not good, if you've got rent committments etc. Also make sure you get a good work/life balance. Your wage should be around 1,200 Euros per month, plus tips.

Skid pan experience won't really help. A fully loaded minibus behaves completely differently than a car, and you will not recover it once you start to slide. An advanced driving course would be more useful as this will teach you to read the road ahead, defensive driving, and hazard anticipation.

We normally recruit over the summer for the coming winter, with interviews held early autumn.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

Andrew
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you contact the TCS (the swiss AA) they run Advanced Diploma Winter Driving courses. I did one a few years back in a mini bus and it was really high quality. If you pass level one you go onto level two which is also used by the authorities in Swiss to train there drivers. I had pompers and police on the course I did. Since then I have been back to keep in training with my van and it is a great way to prepare for winter driving when you know you will have others with you. Plus it was really fun Toofy Grin Ever done a 360 in a minibus and missed the snow bank by 50cm, very scary the first time you try. Twisted Evil or had to suddenly avoid a child on an icy road and not loss control. Evil or Very Mad

Chamexpress, do the French run any courses like this, I am guessing your insurance company would be impressed with drivers who have completed winter training in a minibus like the one I did. It is aimed at advanced drivers though.

cantridepete, Sorry do not know the cost these days but you can goggle them and get the details from there web page. Book early as they get full very quickly.

For winter driving this was the best course I could find a few years ago. Nothing like it in the UK as far as I know. I did the Advanced Drivers course in the UK a long time ago and it was way better than that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with snowcrazy, I did the TCS minibus course last year and it was great fun and very informative. Not cheap, but I definitely drive better having done it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy