Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunny skiing in America

Poster: A snowHead
Never skied in America but want to this year. Problem is I only enjoy skiing under blue skies. Is there anywhere, at any time, where the snow is good but importantly the sun is likely to be shining! I realize this is every skiers wish but is there somewhere with a better than average climate??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pivotal62, but a resort where the sun often shines is one where the snow rarely falls. wink Ironically, the sunniest weeks I've ever encountered were the Portes du Soleil and Courchevel, both in early January (when "traditionally" the weather might be rather nasty). Sun wall to wall, not a cloud in the sky, rubbish snow - thin and icy.

There must be some places where the climate means you get really concentrated nasty weather, loads of snow falling - then it clears up for a long time. But then you might there the nasty week, with lifts closed by high winds etc.

Good luck with your search!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe in Colorado it only snows at night and every day is sunny.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK not in US but Alberta is very often sunny.

But please don't be fooled into thinking sunny is warm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Problem is I only enjoy skiing under blue skies.

I'm a bit similar but problem is I only enjoy sh@gging supermodels Toofy Grin Dream on pivotal62

Although the California ski areas (allegedly) get 300 days sun a year, we managed to visit Tahoe area for 4 or 5 of the other 65 days Sad - areas closed with rain/mudslides etc etc.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mt Bachelor, OR (medium sized) and Mission Ridge, WA (small) are both in the "rain shadow" of the Cascades. This means they get more sun and drier snow (although less of it). I wouldn't fly across an ocean to ski either, though.

Along the lines of what mountainaddict wrote, I believe Mammoth is supposed to be quite sunny as it is on the eastern slope of the Sierra.

But it's the weather, so you get what you get.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jackson Hole, Utah resorts, desert ski areas, snow is thin but sunny.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You may as well stay in europe then as the north american ski areas which are most likely to be sunny are the east coast ones which are not supposed to be worth crossing the antlantic for.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rambotion wrote:
You may as well stay in europe then as the north american ski areas which are most likely to be sunny are the east coast ones which are not supposed to be worth crossing the antlantic for.

I wonder who fed your THAT bit of rubbish! Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I learned to ride at Mammoth Mountain and can confirm that the place is sunny AND warm.

Sometimes there'll be a storm front roll in and it'll dump hugely for 3 or 4 days back to back (warm wet air comes up from pacific over the mountains cools and condenses and drops on the eastern side as big fat fluffy flakes) but then you'll be into bluebird days again, they average about 300 blue-sky days per year, as has been said before.

Been there twice around late Feb and early March and have ridden in long-sleeve t-shirt in the afternoons. Cool

About 6 hours drive from either LA, Vegas or SF, linked boarding in with a weekend break in city both times. Or there are private air transfers if you prefer speed and have cash.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm a bit similar but problem is I only enjoy sh@gging supermodels

mountainaddict, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
pivotal62, but a resort where the sun often shines is one where the snow rarely falls.
But, when the snow does fall, it might dump down in huge quantities. It's a fair question, as some resorts have many grey days with light flurries of snow, while others have a small number of serious powder days.

It's a shame that it's so difficult to get high quality historic weather data for ski resorts. It contrasts badly with surfing and watersports, where you can find a wealth of astonishingly detailed data for the major breaks in almost any country.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in my experience either Mammoth or Tahoe fits your requirements. Our visits were at Easter and there was v good coverage, some new snow when we were there but a lot of sun
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
errr... Sun Valley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones wrote:

It's a shame that it's so difficult to get high quality historic weather data for ski resorts. It contrasts badly with surfing and watersports, where you can find a wealth of astonishingly detailed data for the major breaks in almost any country.

How high quality do you want?

http://www.alta.com/pages/snowhistory_past.php?pastseason=20042005

*mad at self for only having skied 2 of those 25-inchers*
latest report
Go in Mar or Apr to:

1. California;
2. Vermont;
3. New Mexico.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Go in Mar or Apr to:

1. California;
2. Vermont;
3. New Mexico.

otherwise known as a spread bet.

Almost any ski town in USA is more likely to be sunny in April than not. I've been to Spring Back To Vail (last couple of weeks of the season in Vail) a couple of times and it has always been boringly sunny with spring snow right down into town. Recommend it, lots going on, lot of fun. Luck of the draw but my money says somewhere down the mid west will have the more predictable weather. I mentioned Sun Valley earlier... there's a clue in the name. The closer you get to either coast the more the freaky weather will occur... but it'll still probably be sunny.

Or try Bulgaria.
ski holidays
Quote:

Almost any ski town in USA is more likely to be sunny in April than not.

For that matter, anywhere in the north hemisphere! And that inclucdes Europe. Wink
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
How high quality do you want?
http://www.alta.com/pages/snowhistory_past.php?pastseason=20042005

But that covers just one resort. To see what I mean, take a look at the historic conditions at my local surf break. You tell at a glance what your chances are of finding good surfing conditions at any time of the year, and it covers every major break in the world.

If anyone can show me something equivalent for skiing, I'll be very grateful. I've looked long and hard but I can only find incomplete patches of data.
ski holidays
You might give Steamboat, CO consideration. Often times bluebird skis in between frequent snowfalls. I would not recommend the East Coast which is where I ski approx. 50 - 60 days a year. Usually gray and overcast. When there is a sunny bright day it is usally accompanied by bitter cold and wind. In April however, things may be better but snow conditions start suffering.

Steamboat still has a western town feel with many options of things to do, easy to get around with the shuttle system and some of the best tree/glade skiing in the West.
snow report
My answer (after skiing around the US for 40+ years) would be the southern half of Colorado in early to mid March. Any of the larger resorts with plenty of aspects of exposure will do, e.g., Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mtn, Aspen-Snowmass, Crested Butte, Telluride, Winter Park. Another fine choice if you are an expert skier would be Taos, New Mexico. If money were no object my top suggestion would be Aspen-Snowmass for terrain, moderate crowds, weather, and apres ski.

By March Colorado and New Mexico ski areas will have long, sunny days and cool nights. Combined with their high elevations this makes for a superb combination of sunny skiing on good snow surfaces. Although Colorado gets a little less snow than Utah it still gets a lot and there is a reasonable chance you could see snowy days, but in March it will be snow, not rain. In the event of a snow-day in CO or NM there will be numerous treelined runs to aid with visibility despite the high elevation of the ski terrain. This is because of the southerly latitude of Colorado and NM. The Lake Tahoe ski areas can get great March ski weather, but as Bode Swiller said the weather is a bit more volatile/streaky in California, so you could see an unlucky period of continuous low visibility. The ski areas in Northeastern US generally receive less sunny weather than Colorado.
snow conditions
In Tahoe we generally have either sun, or it's snowing - storms move in quickly and move out quickly. December tends to be a little warmer so is wetter (ie rain) but there really aren't that many grey days. And the storm cycles tend to be 4 or 5 days of snow followed by 2 weeks of sun. To be sun sure you could ski in late April either in Tahoe or Mammoth, but then the snow does get sticky later in the day! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy