Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I good enough for my grandads skis

Poster: A snowHead
This is my first time on here sand I hope someone can help me

I was going to buy some new skis for my trip to Tignes this year, however on a recent visit to my gran I mentioned that I wanted to buy some skis and she told me that my grandad used to ski before his death about 4 years ago - she went to the garage and fished out some K2 RS Comp skis, around 190 cm's (skis must be at least 8 years old) in prsitine condition.

I have only a week and a half under my belt, although I would consider that I have advanced quicker than most in that time - point straight down the slope for reds rather than weave from one side of the slope to the other. I would like to use them on a forthcoming trip to Tignes but I am worried that they are going to be too hard for me to ski on - any advice - should I leave them at home and opt for a more friendly model. For info we are staying in Tignes Les Brevieres so there is a high chance I will be skiiing Silene and La Sache. I am 6ft 1 and weigh around 75kg.

Any advice would be much appreicated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads....

http://www.ski-injury.com/

Would be worth a look.

The site has details of how modern skis have eliminated certian types of ski injuries and how the biggest catagory of injuries happpens to people using older or loaned (from friends/family) equipment.

you want to enjoy your skiing and whilst the offer is a very kind one you would be better on something that is going to be kinder to you. Its not simply a matter of your skill level but how far ski design has come.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 18-11-09 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found my Grandad's skis in the attic recently. 225cm wooden Kneissl with cable bindings. They have polished up nicely and are destined for the garage wall and not my feet.

vexille, welcome to snowheads. I would go for some modern rental skis with more of a parabolic cut, non race spec. I think you will find these a bit too much for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bad idea, I'm afraid - you certainly won't get the best from your holiday. I used to ski things like that, and when I tried it again after some time on more modern skis I found it very different. If you've learned recently, I can imagine you might find that you have no clue how to do it at all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This story might interest you

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/generation-gap/

How tall are you? 190cm is not that long but I would say it is a bad idea too. You use different techniques on modern techniques, especially on steep and difficult terrain and it would be best to acquire these early.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be inclined to say that you'll be fine. I certainly wouldn't worry overly about getting injured like some of the posters above have suggested as 190 isn't really that big. However in saying that with the amount of experience you have at present you'll have a lot more fun on a pair of rental skis better suited to your ability level. Do another couple of weeks skiing then maybe take your grandads skis out to a snow dome or something like that to see how you get on with them. I'd certainly be more concerned about buying proper fitting ski boots rather than skis at this stage of your skiing career.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having first skied in 1977 and then throughout the 80s, I'm well-versed in the art of long skinny skis. I owned a pair of 195 Fischers once upon a time. Then two seasons ago, I tried a friend's 2m skinny skis just to see how different they felt from modern short fat skis. This was in Tamworth Snowdome (I did get some looks!). I was pleased I could still ski on them. In fact, they felt great. Very fast and stable, but I had to turn properly, pole plant, the whole she-bang. Maybe for someone used to modern skis they would be a bit of a handful!

I always get told I still have the stance of an 80s skier; ankles together, upright stance, pole-planting, etc. I still haven't shaken off those shackles.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly concerned by this phrase:

vexille wrote:
I have advanced quicker than most in that time - point straight down the slope for reds rather than weave from one side of the slope to the other.

Not sure I'd call that 'advancing'! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, Done me alright for 30+ years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to say I am less than impressed with you all right now. Toofy Grin

The first question should have been:

What bindings are on there? <- Critical. Can not proceed without this info.

The second question should have been:

Is 190cm really long enough?

queen bodecia, I was more concerned with

Quote:
I am 6ft 1 and weigh around 75kg.

Good god, get some muscle on you man!

You'll need it with those skis, especially quads for jump turns (which you will need) and core rotators for the massive counter-rotation (which you will need).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Twin tips would be cooler
Red pistes - should they be schussed?
Only a week and a half - what skis did you use up to now?
Length vs girth: skis should not match body type
Last but not least: did granddad wear a fluoro all-in-one?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frank4short, I was not worried about length (actress and bishop joke in there somewhere) I was more concerned at the not unrealistic possibility that he may take off and ski a with a set of crappy bindings that were set for somone else and have been sitting in garage somewhere for over 10 years. The stats are fairly poor for this type of thing.

I do agree though that boots have to be the first step and that if he wants to try his family skis then a snowdome would be the safest place but make sure the bindings are checked and adjusted correctly first.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, thanks for all your input on this, will try and tie up some of the loose ends and counter some of the jibes Very Happy :

On the ski boot front I have already gone and purchased a brand new fitted pair (full tilt booter), grasped early on my trip last year in Bad Gastein that that your own pair of boots is a must.

At work at the moment, so cannot check the make of bindings and not sure what to look for. My friend who is a very experienced skier had a look at the bindings and ok'd them + set them to my ability/boot size.

In terms of my ability I am only going on what other people have said, I am very sporty and have taken to skiing well - but want to make sure that my progress and enjoymnet is not hindered by trying to ski on a pair of skis that are too difficult- however am prepared to put the effort in developing technqiue if the skis will be worth it - not a massive fan of just getting a a ski to make things easier for me, would prefer to make sure that I develop a solid technique. Last year ski'd on a pair of Elan Magfires, which were fine.

In response to comprex, its 75kg of muscle and not a lot else:) I am a triathlete and spend a lot of time on my bike so legs are fairly strong, but fully aware that not same muscles used. I am sure my gramps was a great exponent of the all in one, if there was one in the garage you could bet that I would be sporting it in Tignes next year.

Vexille
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vexille, snowHead Welcome to snowHeads!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vexille,

As someone who fractured their leg within half an hour of my first ever ski lesson, please take it from me that the *appropriate* equipment, correctly set up for you, is important. I know nothing about those K2 skis, but by the standards of modern ski instruction they are too long for your experience level.

At some point you may be unfortunate enough to discover why pointing modern skis totally straight down a slope without going "from one side of the slope to the other" can be a very bad idea. If you ski with the bases flat on the snow, you may be inviting the experience of ski tips crossing each other at speed. The result can be most unpleasant.

Some *professionally* fitted boots would make far more difference to your skiing experience and give much better control over the skis. I would stick to rental skis at your level. After all, you can keep changing them every day if you're not happy with them and it gives you a chance to see how different skis feel.

Hope you enjoy your time in Tignes.
snow report
Quote:

you could bet that I would be sporting it in Tignes next year.

And the colours are back in fashion this year!!

Whatever you go with....enjoy...!

......but you will become obsessed and still need your own skis.....and once you have one pair.....!!
snow report
vexille,
Quote:
Developed to meet the needs of the more casual and recreational all-mountain explorer, the forgiving Elan Magfire 8 delivers a supreme ride that goes big on versatility and performance, making it an easy choice for skiers wanting to stretch themselves on the mountain.

I don't suppose the makers of a K2 slalom race ski would be saying quite that...

Comprex is absolutley right about the bindings though. I get my cable bindings oiled by an expert daily in resort wink
ski holidays
Quote:

point straight down the slope for reds rather than weave from one side of the slope to the other.

If thats all you want to do then they will be absolutley perfect.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy