Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave/Alpe d'Huez Guides?

Poster: A snowHead
Plenty of steeps at Alpe d'Huez...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-11-09 21:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some Alpe d'Huez lines...

Cheminees du Mascle

Couloir Fleur

Perrins Nord

S Face of Pic Bayle

and finally a run that I don't think can be equalled for steepness and exposure in La Grave

Echarpe Nord de l'Etendard

have at it!

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bad_roo, that's f***ing immense. How narrow is the Fleur normally? It never seemed to have any snow in it when we were over.

Haggis Trap has Bobby told you the story of the dog that did the Y? That was another route that didn't have any snow on it last winter, not that I'd have been anywhere near it. Other improbable lines include the Scandi entry to Banane which comes of the cliff skiers left someway down the couloir.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Y-grec got skied at the end of last winter - in about 3 turns none the less.
Possibly the first time in a few years (Rather them than me!)
Didn't believe it until I saw the video - though I believe there was no dog Very Happy

Nice pics of ADH btw. Though whats going on at top of the Perrins Nord photo ?
Caught in the act pumping a sheep with velrco gloves at top of a cliff perhaps ? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of course you're right it did get done I remember being amazed when I heard now. The dog was a few years back, it lived in town apparently but got in a habit of jumping on the lift and running/sliding down on it's belly. Obviously the normal descents got a bit tame for it as eventually it went up and slid down the Y Laughing One day we saw the dog from the Chancel refuge follow a group down the Patou, maybe it has ambitions of its own.

btw, if I didn't already say, well done on Mt Blanc, must have been nice to tick it off. Shame about the Haute route though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, great TR. Look forward to this years installment!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Never done Trifide 3 (25m exit lob) or the Ygrec (55 degrees) - however they are both proper 'extremo', and only get skied once or twice each winter, if that.

Looking at that video trifide 3 is more like a 6-8m mandatory drop, probably 10-13m when you add speed & overrun. Looks interesting, certainly looks a lot less difficult than i'd expect for anything in la grave that only gets hit once or twice a winter.

Now about this Ygrec, I've never heard of it before anyone got a picture or a link to it? Sounds interesting....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frank4short, http://www.skierslodge.com/legend/Le_Pan_de_Redeau_Les_couloir%20en%20_Y.html, called le couloir nord est in the vamos guide.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8478706@N06/512259764/sizes/l/ shows it and the pan, the traverse to the pan comes from the notch in the ridge, the Y is th couloir below the end of the traverse, I think you get in through the left hand branch looking at it. Well beyond me at any rate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, So in simple terms it's skiers left of the pan de rideau (sp?) ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frank - the link posted above (6m drop) is the 'upper' trifide.
Which is a rocky pitch, just above the main 0->3 couloirs.

This video of Stig Petersen the 'flying norwegian' shows the upper trifide again (0.34)
and then the exit from Trifide 3 (1.04) Shocked, which is big by anyone's book.
Filmed at same time were over in LG last April.

http://blog.news.skierslodge.com/?m=200904

Quote:
So in simple terms it's skiers left of the pan de rideau (sp?) ?

Yup. The Y(grec) not often in condition - and a 'real' sustained 50 degrees, maybe even more.

Its quite big 'news' when either of these 2 get skied.
Helps if you have reindeer sized nordic baws of steel...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 21-11-09 12:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:
bad_roo, that's f***ing immense. How narrow is the Fleur normally? It never seemed to have any snow in it when we were over.

This is what Fleur looks like in a fairly decent snow year. In low snow/early season it narrows to a frightening sliver of snow and in a big snow year it fills in like a big half pipe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bad_roo, Shocked
There are no words! Fantastic pictures.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the y-grec is directly below the dodgy traverse marked on here

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, you should use that the next time someone asks what the sarenne is like Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okay - that is a badass line.
snow conditions
Phillipe Andre is a great guide based in La Grave, he is one of the few that snowboards as well - he rips on his 195 swallowtaill Shocked

All this talk of ADH makes me want to explore the area, as I have always been more a Haute Savoie sort of man.
snow report
Ok, bad_roo, I accept I was ignorant - I didn't know those AdH couloirs existed.

Yes, norris, I agree - I gave his email on the 1st page.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy