Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body temperature too low when skiing

Poster: A snowHead
(I've started a new thread here as I'm not sure that tacking the question onto the end of the other fleece question being asked really got a full audience).

So..,

My female partner tends to get very cold when up in the mountains; even while skiing, the cold temperatures affect her very badly.

I am trying to build her kit up from base-layer outwards, but it's going slowly as she's tended in the past to settle for cheap and available kit, rather than really look at the thermal benefits - consequently she can't really give me any frame of reference...

Can anyone give me a comparison, preferably having used them, (and if equally prone to feeling the cold then ideal!), of a mid-layer made of Polartec Thermal Pro vs Primaloft One. I'm not only interested in female opinions, just anyone that's used both and can give a good comparison.

I have worn both, and I do like both, but really dont feel the cold very much at all so am not in a great position to offer anything other than some user-based advice - (mostly using kit which I dont think would be near warm enough for her!).

I know that for true warmth she should be looking at a real down fill - so that's also an option if anyone has found this works for them.

I'm aware that for many it's just a case of skiing harder to warm up, but in the absence of that...

As with the posts above, if anyone wants to recommend a Polartec TP or Primaloft One (not Sport) model which they have used and loved, then that too would be great!

One more question - has anyone used the Patagonia R3 Radiant Jacket? I believe that it has less Polartec (9oz?) than the R3 fleece (12oz?), but how capable is it by comparison?

Cheers!

(Incidentally if any female Snowheads want a line on last years Mountain Hardwear MonkeyWomans fleece (in black) for £39 delivered then PM me - brand new, delivered for that price from a genuine UK stockist).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When it was suggested to me that I might be suffering from Raynaud's Syndrome (numb then painful feet) I was told to wear Mittens rather than gloves when skiing as this tends to keep everything warmer - it worked for me - I normally feel toasty - still have numb then painful feet though - but that's another story/thread/saga.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Neck gaitor;
2. Wrist warmers;
3. Heated boots.

Big veins lose big heat. Cover them up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a female that's almost always hot when skiing. Not due to any expensive thermal gear, I normally just wear a thin base layer T-shirt under my ski jacket. So the only advice I can offer is either of these options; 1) ski in Europe in March/April, usually good snow and warmer temperatures. 2) become menopausal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't focus too much on the fleece, other things can make a much bigger difference I think.
Christmas is coming and Icebreaker have lovely undies
http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/search.html?flag=Underwear&gender=Woman
I seriously recommend merino undies, there's nothing like having a nice warm bum (especially as sitting on the lifts can get very cold) and the extra layer of the thin camisole can make all the difference. They do some very nice sets and they really do help keep you toasty.

I am steadily switching to Merino for all mid layers too, I find it makes a huge difference in warmth.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 18-11-09 0:17; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Laughing

Sorry fr0sty,- suffer from the overheating myself.

When it is VERY cold e.g. -25 C up top of Aiguille Rouge, I recall wearing a wick tee, then layer on top a thin fleece, then a Polartec Fleece on top and then a shell jacket. That was just about bearable.

EDIT. I also have a substantial layer of subcutaneous fat, which does help Laughing Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I get very cold (but then it does get very cold here) and there have been a few threads on this recently. I do have down for coldest days.

Agree with Whitegold,

I could do with some better under jacket gear. Got some icebreaker stuff for this year, hopefully that will be good.

I too need to invest in better mid layer-0 so will read this thread with interest.

mittens , not gloves are a must.

What does she wear on her head? I find helmet toasty and go for balaclava under on some days. My guess is she must have good quality wicking base layers that don't get sweaty.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I find helmet toasty and go for balaclava under on some days.

Me too. I also like merino, and the merino "boy shorts" certainly help to keep your bum warm. But I tried some merino base layers on in Decathlon the other day - they were useless for my shape (which is pretty ordinary size 12). the small was tight and uncomfortable, the medium baggy. They just weren't convincing at all. I have a Patagonia one bought in a discount shop in North Wales but I had to try on several before finding one that felt right. Bought a very nice (not merino) base layer in T K Maxx a couple of weeks ago but again, I tried on 4 and only one felt remotely right.

After these experiences I'd never buy thermals online - the fit and the cut is pretty important and we're all a different shape.

I'm not a particularly cold person, but on chilly days I do wear loads of layers. Base layer long sleeved merino, a mid layer fleece, a fleece gilet and a good warm jacket would be the minimum - and I'll add a second, slightly larger, long sleeve base if it was windy. And definitely all the extra bits Whitegold recommends. And heated boots, and good quality mittens with inners. and a pair of hand-warming tea bags in my pocket. Just in case.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merino base layers. Falke socks,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fr0sty, which parts of her get cold?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You dont say how/where she feels the cold? I think that Zwee, is right it would be worth checking that she does not suffer from Raynaud's Syndrome.

Mitts are always better as the fingers are together and ther is less surface area for heat loss, I would also reccomend some of the single use teabag warmers they should give you about 8 hrs(the reusable ones are to heavy bulky and have short effective warming period) these are really easy to use with mitts. Boot toe warmers are an option but i have never used them and would worry that a hard day in boots would either burst them or rub your toes badly.

Merino base layers are the best bet for building a warm layered system we used icebreaker 260's for base a lightweight Rab fleece and down filled RAB jackets for our trip to the arctic in Feb this year and although the static air temp dropped below -40 we were all toasty and warm (till you needed a call of nature that was). Only when we really pushed ourselves (XC) did persperation start to become and issue.

One big thing though is dry boots and gloves, if they are not fully dry and warm in the morning you will never get any warmth into your hands or feet. If possible make sure you are good and toasty before getting into your warmed clothes as once you are chilled it is very difficult to warm back up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They may still be unfashionable but one-piece suits are definitely warmer too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

till you needed a call of nature that was

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,

frost bite suddenly becomes terrifying Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevindonkleywood wrote:
frost bite suddenly becomes terrifying Smile

fr0sty bite? ... (I'll get my coat...) Laughing

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Does anyone use Polartec Thermal Pro or Primaloft One models for skiing as mid-layers under a shell? Which do you use and why? - to me these would be excessively warm while skiing. I've skiied in temperatures in excess of -15, using a merino baselayer, microfleece, and 20/20 jacket without issue, so I'm not the best benchmark.

Many thanks.
snow report
I am thinking of Thermal Pro for this year. I won't find it too warm as have been skiing with up to 5 layers on under jacket and one on under trousers and want to cut down. I think its hard for warm people to understand how cold people feel. My OH wears one to two layers under his jacket and none under his shell trousers and is toasty.

I do regularly ski in temps -15 to 20 with wind chill on top though.

There is a phsysiological reason why women get colder (obviously there will be exceptions to thsi rule). I read a book on hypothermia. A women reroutes all her blood to the core to protect womb area. Hence women are more likely to get frostbite at extremeties but less likely to die of hypothermia than men. So keep core warm with layers (to avoid blood rerouting) and keep extremeties warm (for when blood rerouting happens) and things may look better.
ski holidays
Just my 2p's worth advice i done alot of research into gloves last year as i get incredibly cold hands, so i contacted a bloke from equipuk http://www.equipuk.com/
he was incredinly helpful, i ended up buying some Ultraflex inferno gloves there just great,

but my advice is go speak to some people like RAb who do the ice climbing expeditions and see what they wear (yes its going to be more expensive) but when it comes to your body i feel an extra £'s is worth it.

here is the rab link to base layers

one other tip eat spicy food this promotes blood flow around the body or take a hip flask with your favourite tipple in it.

cheers Andy
latest report
fr0sty, I'm a female, and I suffer from a cold bum when skiing! I've bought the Icebreaker merino wool leggings, and they did help a bit, but they didn't solve the problem, even under velvety-lined ski trousers.

I also bought better gloves, always wear a neck fleece and wear around three layers. Body/head/hands/feet temp is always warm, it's just my backside! If you find anything that works, let me know.
latest report
Picadilly, Granny Pants?
ski holidays
fr0sty, I use a North Face Redpoint jacket under a shell when it's really cold... It's Primaloft but I've no idea what category - One or Sport or what?!
It would normally be on top of base layer + lightweight fleece, then Primaloft layer, then shell. I find it's toasty warm when I'm skiing, but if I'm teaching and moving slowly that combination isn't enough and my poor students find themselves doing lots of drills that involve hopping and jumping!
latest report
DaddyLouLou, I've got them!! Huge pants, merino wool leggings, lined ski trousers and still a cold backside. I'm just resigned to it these days!
snow conditions
Picadilly, I hate to seem like i'm prying, but are they merino granny pants? if not, could be doing more harm than good.

Also i never had a cold bum when I wore impact shorts though they are really not flattering at all...
latest report
firebug, that's OK, we can talk about my underwear..

No, they're just thermal ones, do they need to be merino as well?

I even wondered whether these would work:

http://www.holdall.co.uk/product/1065/neoprene_warm_shorts_0_5mm
snow conditions
Layers layers layers, keep putting them on till you feel warmer.

More thin ones = more better.

And for bargain thermals tkmaxx usually has some decent stuff just keep popping in till you get what you want. Usually they`re technical fibres rather than wool and I would recommend merino wool for comfort and smell NehNeh
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies.

Picadilly, re your pants link - neoprene isn't known for being very breathable.

It's this quality which probably helps make it warm but I wouldn't be too happy about the possible negative, (read hygiene), consequences of using a neoprene layer next to the skin, especially in a high intensity sport like skiing. Whenever I've removed a noeprene wetsuit, the first thing I need is a shower!
ski holidays
Good point fr0sty, I think I'll just look for warmer knickers. Them, plus merino wool leggings should do the trick, I can't wear too many backside layers, I won't be able to move!
snow conditions
Picadilly, I've got some merino "boy shorts" which are wonderful. I wear some kind of brief briefs underneath. I would definitely not wear neoprene.
latest report
I've seen the boy shorts, quite like them Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For warmth you really do need Merino wool! Icebreaker is the main brand in the Uk market, it works so well cos it traps lots of warm air next to the body, best of all cos its wool it is anti bacterial so doesn't get smelly! they are expensive BUT you only need one set for the whole holiday!!

also never go for thick layers! many thin layers will keep you warmer!! and NEVER WEAR COTTON. cotton exsorbs water/sweat and holds it! if this happens wind blows on you you get cold! its not rocket science!
ski holidays
fr0sty, Lots of Smartwool merino stuff half price in the current Cotswold Outdoors sales. Well worth the investment. I wear the Monkey Man jacket under a shell with another 2 layers underneath so I know how she feels! Haven't done the Primaloft gear though, so not much use to you! Agree with the gloves-inside-mitts though. Last year I started to wear a balaclva and a helmet. That helped too.
ski holidays
I have the merino boy shorts too. Keep an eye out for end of season icebreaker sales, I get a couple more pairs every year, usually at Snow & Rock in the sale. The thin cami vests are good too, it makes a surprising amount of difference. They make good hut jammies too, if you do any touring.

Oddly, though the women's styles are good, their mens undies are a hideous shape!
snow report
Have you thought about putting something warm in her?
snow conditions
fr0sty, make sure your partner eats enough - a power bar on the chair lift could help.

I get cold before meal times...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy