Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-sure family friendly resort for late March (week before Easter)

Poster: A snowHead
We were thinking Norway, but are open to sugggestions.

We tried Les 2 Alpes two years ago, but kids (then aged 4 and 6) did not get on with the ESF lessons.

Mrs and I are intermediates who will ski on our own in the morning and will ski with the kids in the afternoon, so not necessary to have large ski area.

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are going the same week as you. We are trying Montgenevre this time. It is supposed to be fairly snow sure and some one on this forum mentioned there is an International ski school there. ESF also has a good reputation in this resort. Our children will be 8 and 5 this time - their third skiing trip.

From places I have already been to I would recommend considering La Rosiere, les arcs or la plagne.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby2, welcome to snowHeads. Another resort you could add to your shortlist would be Courchevel, specifically Courchevel 1650. Lots of intermediate terrain for you to explore, and you could use New Generation ski school for the kids.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby2, welcome to snowheads. Late March shouldn't be a problem in any but pretty low resorts. Historically a far better bet than Christmas/New Year. Your kids are a much better age for lessons now - maybe pick the resort by asking opinions about good classes for kids (International ski schools - ESIs - only have in common that they're not ESF. They'll be a bit varying in terms of quality and approach).

A number of snowheads have reported on very happy lessons for kids, in a big variety of resorts. If you change your thread title to make it clear you want top quality kids lessons I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Another possibility is to get them some private lessons - the key problem with the ESF is often the big classes, of 12 kids or even more. the ESI in our resort has 10 kids in a class, but when we've used them for private lessons they've been fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby2, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I think the kids would love La Rosiere; very kid orientated with excellent ski schools...even ESF are really good there. Tends to be a bit cheaper than some of the bigger neighbours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obertauern or Obergurgl, both pretty snow sure, intermediate and ESF free!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Obergurgl. Went there last year and is perfect for intermediates. We also heard a lot of good things about the ski school.

Norway would also be great for kids. I've been to both Hemsedal and Geilo quite a few times - out of the two Geilo would be ideal. Ski school is excellent and all the instructors speak English.
It's only a small ski area, but should keep you happy for a week. There some nice hotels/chalets/cabins which are right at the bottom of the ski slopes on the 'Vestilia' side of the valley, so getting to/from ski school with the little ones would be easy.

Hope this helps.

[edited for bad spelling!]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out Sainte Foy. Very snow sure, small family-friendly place. Ski area isn't big but has some top-quality pistes and endless off-piste. I know of an excellent chalet there which has availability for that week.... [ahem] Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd second sainte foy as an option, its quiet small but thats partly what makes it so perfect for families. Both the ESF and ESI ski schools are great! No noisy nightlife, very beautiful. Our son who was 5 last year came on leaps and bounds and did his 2 star badge and was happily doing some of the red runs by the end of the week. Have been at half term and easter and the snow was fab both times. We had always planned to go to Tignes or les arc but never actually bothered having heard reports of lift queues from people who had ventured out! The biggest lift queue we encountered was about 10 people!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yet another to consider could be Cervinia in Italy. Pretty big and mostly easy intermediate terrain for the family, friendly Italians, high altitude and snowsure, the opportunity to ski over the top into another country, with a once seen never forgotten view of the famous Matterhorn mountain from expensive Zermatt in Switzerland on the cheap!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby2, I hope that your negative experience with ESF in LDA hasn't put you off the resort, there are other ski/snowboard schools here (shameless plug Embarassed )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowymum, me and daughter are in Montgenevre 28th Mar to 4th April at the new Apts, maybe see ya there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early March you don't need to worry about snow-sure resorts, it is about the most reliable time of the season - though perhaps not the best for powder.
I'll be in Montgenevre with a guide and friends for the first week of March.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum wrote:
We are going the same week as you. We are trying Montgenevre this time. It is supposed to be fairly snow sure and some one on this forum mentioned there is an International ski school there. ESF also has a good reputation in this resort. Our children will be 8 and 5 this time - their third skiing trip.

From places I have already been to I would recommend considering La Rosiere, les arcs or la plagne.

Hope the kiddies know their Green Cross Code.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are, Sweden is fabulous for children, particularly the area at Bjornen. I think its purpose built for families, all ski to door, and loads of extra activities for children, as well as skiing area with all sorts of child-friendly things along the slopes.

Thoroughly recommended! Lots of off slope activities also. Ski school was easily the best we have been too, but book everything in advance. Very snowsure, but not too cold in March which is when we went.

http://www.skistar.com/
snow conditions
kyoto49, Are has always been on my 'wish-list' of resorts to visit.

I've heard that most of the lifts are buttons and t-bars though (which might put some people off) - is that right?
latest report
It depends where you ski! Are is based is pretty linear and based around 5 main areas, Are, Tagejfall (or something like that!), Rodkullen Duved and Bjornen. We were based in Are itself, and there was either a telekabin,gondola and chair to take skiers up to the top of Areskuten.

My daughter skied mainly around the Bjornen area, and it was mainly t bars and drags. I'm pretty philosophical about them, its a chance for a rest and chat, and I can get some sun! I know others dislike them. None of us skied the other area, so I can't comment on there.

This link should show you the piste map:
http://www.skistar.com/app/projects/are/images/imlib/Pistkarta_2009_eng_low.pdf

I think it's shows that its not all drags - but it's not a super mega French style resort without drags.

For me it was more about more than the lift system, and we had a really great time. Get a second mortgage tho as food and excursions are very expensive!

Any other questions i'll try and help!
snow conditions
Judging by some posters on Snowheads, the answer is clearly Söll. Or should that be Löl?
snow report
Kenzie, the road at Montgenevre now goes under the village in a tunnel, so no sprint across between trucks in ski boots like in 25 years ago when i was last there snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks kyoto49 - I've done a fair amount of skiing in Norway and am a fan of Scandi-skiing. Personally I don't mind drag-lifts, but whilst I ski most of my mates board and they hate 'em!

(BTW, sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!)
snow report
I wondered what the reference to the green cross code was about!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy