Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Goggles - pls can you answer some factual qu's?

Poster: A snowHead
Having shovelled snow with them whilst they were still on my face in LDA last March, I've decided to replace my cheapo goggles. They'll be fine as spares, but I wanted an excuse for a slightly better pair anyway having had a try of someone else's and found the field of vision and clarity to be heaps better. I am not yet sure what to get - was looking at them in S&R yesterday and thought the Oakley O frame seemed reasonable value. Lens-wise Persimmon seems to be ok for most conditions including flat light. For bright sun I have some close fitting sunnies that will do the job.

Anyway my question is when/where to get them so as not to part with more lolly than I have to. I am in ADH the first week of Feb.

----thread title updated ---- formerly "where to buy, uk, online or resort"---------

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-11-09 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best to try them on with your helmet to make sure that they fit together when on your head.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've got good Sunnies, then get the Bolle OTG (Over The Goggle) with the Red Modulator lenses. Good price, comfy, good vis, superb low light and flat light vis and they are reactolight for bright days. I was impressed and I also own Oakleys. I wear the Bolle's by choice (but I do wear glasses)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I will take my helmet to a shop and try them even if I don't buy them there. I thought about the modulator lenses, but saw one review that reckoned they weren't that great in poorer light conditions. I also wonder why other manufacturers don't do them
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Persimmon lenses are really nice. It's a pity Oakley goggles just don't suit me.Sad
If you've tried them and are happy with them, you might be able to get 2nd hand in good condition cheap on ebay?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly wrote:
Yes, I will take my helmet to a shop and try them even if I don't buy them there. I thought about the modulator lenses, but saw one review that reckoned they weren't that great in poorer light conditions. I also wonder why other manufacturers don't do them

Because they are crap my wife has some and ditched them after a couple of days and reverted to my spare climacool elevation. She tried to talk me into letting her use my Oakleys but I was having none of that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say buy in UK. Resort shops unless you know what prices should be can be rather adept at stickering things up at high prices in high traffic tourist areas or selling at high Euro RRP.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can get to a big sports supermarket you might get a good price in France, but resort prices can be a fair bit higher - and why waste your holiday time going shopping? I think I'd buy here, and be sure of having exactly what I wanted. I have fairly inexpensive Bollé ones with inserts - which replaced a 20 year old pair I'd bought half price in a sale in France. I'm low-maintenance on goggles and sunnies - never felt that life wouldn't be complete without Oakleys. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mmmm I find the redish Modulator is the best low light lens I've tried. Goggles are good and comfy too. Double lens so no steaming up. Not used the yellow one. They dont go too dark so not a bright condition lens, but I have my transitions glasses undernetah and that works well for me. The Oakleys are left in the cupboard now. Agreed the persimon Oakly lens aint bad

Both the oakleys and the Bolles fit a Giro G10 helmet very well
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go for Oakleys don't think you'll find cheaper than:

http://oakleyvault.com/catalog?N=7+100812

Got a pair of A-Frames off them for £40 at the B'ham Ski Show, O-Frames are £19.00!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb wrote:
If you go for Oakleys don't think you'll find cheaper than:

http://oakleyvault.com/catalog?N=7+100812

Got a pair of A-Frames off them for £40 at the B'ham Ski Show, O-Frames are £19.00!
I too have recently bought from there at a hefty discount. I tried them on in the shop first, with my helmet, so that I knew what to order online.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb, Hurtle, thanks - will find out which ones work for me and look them up on this link. Did you mean to quote the US site or is it www.oakley-vault.co.uk? If it's the US one, don't you get stung for import VAT?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, sorry, I didn't notice the detail of the link. I used the UK site, and the order was handled exceptionally efficiently: I even got an e-mail from someone explaining that the name of the lenses I'd ordered had been changed and that I should not think, on receiving the the goggles, that there had been a mix-up on the order.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you know if they (http://www.oakley-vault.co.uk/?) sell separate lenses? I've had a look, but can't see any
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaddyLouLou, I don't know - I guess not, if they don't show up on the website, but you could always phone to ask.
snow report
Half price Scott goggles at www.sports-outlet.co.uk. I purchased some Ransom goggles a few weeks ago and was really happy with the goggles, price and service. Worth a look anyway Laughing
snow report
marky, thanks.
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
manicpb, Hurtle, thanks - will find out which ones work for me and look them up on this link. Did you mean to quote the US site or is it www.oakley-vault.co.uk? If it's the US one, don't you get stung for import VAT?

No sorry, did'nt notice I'd found that site just entered the stall that was at the Ski Show! Looks like you've found the British one though.
snow conditions
Just brought a pair of Dragon Mace goggles off the net and they fit perfectly with my helmet. Pretty good seeing as i have an XL head size and last years goggles were too small for me and were a pain in the bum.
However provided the Maces dont steam up they're well worth the £60.
snow report
WesTaylor, Mr L has those, likes tham a lot - they should be fine.
ski holidays
Id recommend checking Ebay, I recently bought some brand new Smith I/Os for £58 delivered which wasn't too bad at all!
snow conditions
MWG_Thomas wrote:
Id recommend checking Ebay, I recently bought some brand new Smith I/Os for £58 delivered which wasn't too bad at all!

Could you pls let me know which seller. How do you like the goggles? Do you know if there is a big difference between the regular and small sizes?

Cheers.
snow report
Thanks for the views above. Please can you now address some specific questions?

In terms of cost there is clearly a balance between "you get what you pay for" and "big names can be overpriced". What I am now trying to do is find out what precisely one IS paying for. There is such a range of models that it is hard to know where to start. Regarding lens colour - I am pretty sure I want something like persimmon, so I am not bothered about further info on that really.

Clearly they have to fit my face/helmet and I want a good range of clear vision so as not to feel "hemmed in" with a lens that won't scratch badly if I end up faceplanting. I get few chances to go to shops selling them so I need to have done the homework first before taking the helmet for a try-on session before buying probably online for the best price. Also the shops of course only stock a limited range, with a wider one being available online.

Questions
Does each model within a make have a similar fit, specific to the make such that an individual person will generally find make X a better fit for them than make Y?

Taking Oakley as an example. they sell O, A, E and L frames- do these letters indicate different shapes so that one model would fit better but otherwise be pretty similar to others or are there other significant differences?

The Oakley O is a fair bit cheaper - is it inferior somehow?

Some goggles are targeted at snowboarders - how are they different?
ski holidays
Butterfly, nobody has mentioned Smith goggles, I really rate Smith Anthems, I am on my second pair now and they are great. They are women specific and so are slightly smaller, they are a great fit on me and fit brilliantly with my helmet. They have a really good field of vision and I can forget I have got them on. S&R stock them so they may be one to add to your shortlist to try.

Re. your questions I believe that the different models within a make have very diiferent shapes and fits, so for example for me I don't think I could say that all Smiths are great for me, but the Anthems are.

IIRC there is a shop at Bicester Outlet Village (can't remember which one) which stocks Smith at great prices.

Best of luck with your search snowHead
snow conditions
I am off to check out a shop I had not heard of before. It's Exteme Sports in Doncaster town centre, where I am working this afternoon. Their prices seem good compared to other online retailers and I will have a trying on opportunities - must remember to stick the lid in the car. I don't know if anyone from there is on SH but if not, by the time I've been there will be!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy