Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski School in La Rosiere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to La Rosiere for Christmas week in a party of 13.
Hopefully I can find a couple of others in the group at about my level (middling intermediate) to share maybe a 2 hour private lesson.

Which of the three ski schools would people who know the resort recommend?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
agw, any of them, my preference would be for Simon Atkinson who is the deputy director of the ESF but also runs his own ski school geared towards English clients. Simon has worked in the village for over 20 years. The ESF has the biggest brigade in the village, their equipe is 70 strong. Their offices are easy to find either at the font de neige in the centre village or Les Eucherts. Evo2 are fine, you can book at their shop in the centre village and there are a number of independent monitors, there's a full list at www.larosiere.net where you can find contact information.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, David - I'll check that out. (like the idea of lessons form a native English speaker)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used Evo2 a couple of years ago for a couple of private lessons for my other half and our boys and were really pleased. The boys had great fun, the instructor had a great attitude and they all learnt something!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr George, Also Used Evo2 in Montchavin a few times. agw, if you want an alternative to ESF then they are a good independent company. Our kids loved them

http://www.evolution2.com/federation/default_gb.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have used both ESF and Evo2 in La Rosiere and both were excellent. A great attitude from the insructors.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like all ski schools, it all depends who you get. If you use ESF and have any problems go straight to Simon and he will try and sort it out. Same with Evo2. Although they all have English speaking instructors, not many are native speakers even those that work with Simon. But I know quite a few people that have lessons in La Ros and very few have had any problems so you should be fine. Just remember, complain at once if you are not getting what you want, do not just put up with it. This should go for all ski schools everywhere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in La Rosiere last week and spent a day skiing off-piste with Simon. Highly recommended. A very friendly guy and we had a brilliant day skiing the trees in La Thuile. By the time we arrived back in La Rosiere I was running on empty - that day completely made the week for us (I might even forget about the brutal wind on a couple of other days!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brought back happy memories, as Simon taught me and my wife as second weekers in La Ros in 1999. Great guy and still remember what he taught us.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David L, Another recommendation for Simon. He taught me from scratch (1st and 2nd weeks). I found his enthusiasm for the mountain way of life to be very infectious. Check out his hollow ski poles too wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WiRED, yep. He ran the golf course in La Ros in the summer and called the mountain "his office" as he went to work there every day of the year. Had my wife and I reaching out to pick apples and jumping through windows as part of his learning technique. And the hollow ski poles also came into use during the week. Legend has it that he was the first to break the ESF embargo on Brit instructors. When we went back to La Ros in 2005 he was not only running the local ESF but was busy with the local radio station. Lovely fellow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WiRED wrote:
I found his enthusiasm for the mountain way of life to be very infectious.

Absolutely. I'm not normally too jealous of people who live in the mountains, tending to think that the reality rarely matches the dream, but listening to Simon it did sound pretty special.

Big Dave wrote:
Legend has it that he was the first to break the ESF embargo on Brit instructors.

We did chat a little about this. He was highly complimentary of the support that the ESF in La Rosiere have given him, particularly with his early training. If we go again, I'll probably quiz him some more.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agw wrote:
Thanks, David - I'll check that out. (like the idea of lessons form a native English speaker)

They don't guarantee native English speaker, just an English speaker. We did a 3-day clinic with them (Elite), and all communications with them were handled by ESF. Our instructor, Sebastien, spoke good English and was an excellent teacher and we would go again without hesitation. He handled a potentially difficult situation extremely well and took us on our first real off-piste powder experience - extraordinary!.... He converted from being an ESF instructor on those days through the magic of Velcro, and the video feedback was given in ESF offices.

Expensive, but well worth it for us.

David
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy