Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info on Skiing in Banff Area wanted please.

Poster: A snowHead
Now call me stupid, but i'm just not getting it. I can't find piste maps for the "tri" area around Banff, not single lift pass prices, and it's doing my head in!
Has anyone got any info, on whether it's worth buying a tri area pass, or just stick to one area? Any links to piste maps? What area is best for intermeidate skiers?
Thank you, in advance! Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chillidemon, http://www.skibig3.com/ I would certainly advise the pass covering all 3, it includes buses to each from Banff. Best for intermediates, well they are all pretty different, but I preferred Lake Louise.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you buy seperate daily passes? Is it far from Banff to the slopes? Thanks btw.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah i see, the piste maps.Doh! Tell me, do they use the same colour systme as in France, as i'm not seeing many red runs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chillidemon, you on TP too? DId I buy a flash off you a few months back?

the grading system in north america doesn;t have red runs - they go green circle, blue square, black diamond, double black diamond. Like any ski resort, how a run is graded is subjective, but you should consider a single black diamond to be more or less a red run

you can buy daily passes, yes, but it usually works out cheaper to buy a pass fr "x" days out of "y".

Don;t ignore Norquay either, Mrs NBT and I had the most fabulous day there - bucketing down with snow, and only about 200 skiiers on the entire hill, Heaven!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chillidemon, it is between 10 and 40 minutes to the slopes depending on which mountain you are visiting . You can buy sepearate day passes for each There are red runs, pistes are green, blue or black, with blacks also graded single or double diamond.

http://www.skibanff.com/tickets_passes/day_tickets.php

http://www.skilouise.com/lift-tickets.aspx

No ski bus included in single area pass.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, no im not on TP, whatever that is! Thanks for th info.And thanks for the info Helen.
The psite maps still dont make much sense, there is one with lots of red lines ging over a cliff and through some trees, or so it seems. God knows whta that is meant to be!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The psite maps still dont make much sense, there is one with lots of red lines ging over a cliff and through some trees, or so it seems. God knows whta that is meant to be!!!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Maybe an idea to go somewhere less dangerous, just in case Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chillidemon wrote:
nbt, no im not on TP, whatever that is! Thanks for th info.And thanks for the info Helen.

Delirium Dive or a permanent closure maybe? If you're asking about red runs don't think about the Dive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chillidemon, what doesn't make sense http://www.skibig3.com/downloads/Sunshine_TrailMap_0809.jpg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Don't ignore Norquay either, Mrs NBT and I had the most fabulous day there - bucketing down with snow, and only about 200 skiiers on the entire hill, Heaven!

Agreed. Been there twice and really enjoyed it both times. We skied there one fantastic New Year's Day - us and about six cars in the car park, deserted slopes, fantastic snow and great skiiing.

Lots of locals we spoke to turn their noses up at Norquay and question why you'd go there. It's obviously because of the other resorts on their doorsteps - but we'd say it is seriously under-rated. There's some great steep terrain too.

Another plus is it's close proximity to Banff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I think the red lines might be out of bounds areas, one is on a cliff face.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red lines are just permanent closures I think.

I really like Norquay too...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All areas have plenty for intermediate skiers, as others have said don't discount Norquay. It was 12 years ago I was there but my father has been there every year since and he loves cruising around on the wide open blues in Sunshine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Lots of locals we spoke to turn their noses up at Norquay and question why you'd go there.

Shocked Shocked

Not something I've experienced. In fact, Norquay tends to be very much a Banff locals hill - they go there (especially at weekends) when the crowds from Calgary go to Sunshine and the Lake.

Some great cruisers on Norquay, and also some challenging steep terrain off the North American Chair. It is small, though, so if you aren't happy doing the same trail over and over, you'll soon lose interest.

- For intermediates I always reckon that Sunshine is the best, but avoid this on a bad weather day, since it gets very prone to white-out, and can be a bit windy at the top of Goat's Eye.
latest report
Quote:

Not something I've experienced. In fact, Norquay tends to be very much a Banff locals hill - they go there (especially at weekends) when the crowds from Calgary go to Sunshine and the Lake.

Agree with that. Locals use Norquay a lot. Lots will be in ski club there and lots use it cos of selling hourly etc lift tickets
ski holidays
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

Lots of locals we spoke to turn their noses up at Norquay and question why you'd go there.

Shocked Shocked

Maybe that's why they don't want the "tourist" go to Norquay? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I loved Banff, Sunshine Village was my favourite, had a fantastic time bombing around the Wolverine area.

The scenery at Lake Louise is breathtaking.

As said, Norquay might be small but has some superb runs.

Here's a run from there - awesome!

latest report
Is that off Mystic? I can't really place it in my head....
snow report
Yes, I *think* it's piste 19

http://www.banffnorquay.com/images/NorquayTrailMap2008.jpg

Someone collided with me on that too .. when I was at top speed. It hurt.
snow report
Picadilly wrote:
I loved Banff, Sunshine Village was my favourite, had a fantastic time bombing around the Wolverine area.

The scenery at Lake Louise is breathtaking.

As said, Norquay might be small but has some superb runs.

Here's a run from there - awesome!

I remember that one, superb run! snowHead

Norquay is an understated area, the first time I went I didn't like it because I wasn't very confident about Black or steep runs (in fact I avoided them!) the following year I loved it all, thanks to a certain bash. wink
ski holidays
All I remember about Norquay is that it was steep and full of school groups. Avoid it at the weekends.

I preferred Sunshine
ski holidays
stevev wrote:
All I remember about Norquay is that it was steep and full of school groups. Avoid it at the weekends.

I preferred Sunshine

I enjoyed Norquay for the free floodlit night ski on Friday, The Lodge, one chair, two pistes either side and the fun park open.
ski holidays
chillidemon, check out my trip report, we did day trips to Kicking Horse and Panorama as well as the 3 'local' areas:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=992625
latest report
http://www.getskitickets.com are offering redeemable vouchers that provide savings of up to 33% off lift tickets purchased elsewhere. Could be worth checking out, even though it sounds too good to be true. NB some offers end by 30th November. YMMV
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy