Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Loose bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought some new skis online and had them delivered with the bindings pre-fitted.

Should be bindings wobble at all with repect to the ski? I suspect not, but both bindings probaby have about half a mm of movement in the sideways and back-to-front directions. I don't want to play with any of the screws for fear of messing up settings, and do not own any other skis to compare with.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out of curiosity what type of binding is it? Is it mounted on a rail or flat on the ski? Either way the answer is no. Call them and ask them what to do ASAP.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liveezy, not completey true, many demo bindings have a bit of play in them which firms up when the boot is inserted, but i would still want it checking
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musehead, If they're flat mounted there should be no movement. If rail mounted then some makes/models have some play & some models of Marker rail mounted bindings had so much movement that you could get a warranty replacement for the new revised & tighter version! Basically you get what you pay for.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It actually depends what "some movement" means. There are some bindings on lower side which actually have some "movement". For example Fischer Z11 is definitely one of them. It's more or less plastic binding, which feels really weird when you hold it. And even if it's properly mounted it still feels like it's moving a bit, yet it never failed until now for my wife. Personally I would have really bad feeling skiing with it.
So I would say it depends what this "movement" OP is talking about actually is.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
primoz, I've assumed that the OP is talking about actual 'wobble' in the binding/rail interface as opposed to the 'flex' that you've describe that's often found in lower end plastic bindings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Liveezy, The skis are Elan Magfire 78s with Elan EL11 bindings. I think it's rail-mounted. The rail part does not move at all, it's only the binding part attached to the rail that moves.

With the boot inserted there is no movement in the backward-forward direction but there is still the same amount of movement in the sideways direction.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Correct, the "wobble" i'm describing appears to be the rail/binding interface. As in the rail does not move but the binding moves slightly on it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musehead, I've just checked my old skis with Marker bindings on a rail mount and there is indeed some play as Spyderjon says. I used them for some years with no release problems.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
musehead, there's no fault in your set-up. As you say, the forward pressure adjustment in the heelpiece takes up the fore/aft slack but many rail systems still have lateral movement. Think of the wobble as a feature wink.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When TJ gets his Atomic World Cup race skis direct from the factory with bindings mounted by them they have some wobble. He does full length Downhill's at 70+ MPH on 215's without any problems. Think its just one of those things with certain types of bindings
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy