Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you wipe out?

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum wrote:
I guess the equal question is, if you fall with skis on who here finds it difficult to get up again without springing one off?

It depends where you fall (in terms of ho steep the slope is), and what angle you end up at.

It can be very hard to get up if it is nearly flat, but is usually muh easier when it si steper.

But somebody I was skiing with last year fell on the steepest section of the red that finishes under the funicular in Ellmau, and he finished up lying in such a way that he was completely unable to move. But he couldn't get enough pressure with his poles to open the bindings.

After those of us still above him had stopped laughing, I had to ski down and pop one of his bindings for him, in order to allow him to get up. (that was one of the days I wasn't skiing with espri or Samerberg_Sue)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly,
I'm not much of a boarder but by frame 2 your clearly fecked.
Nice series of pics.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At last a topic I excell in !! I often fall within the first hour and treat it as a wake up call ! More often than not it's the lesser slopes as opposed to steep ones , and slow falls always hurt most??!!!. Only just getting over tendinitis in my shoulder from February !!
Does that put me off? Hell no!! Going three times this year only 22 sleeps till the first one !!!
Bring it on! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year on the very easy and wide black piste in Dolomites there were only two of us,me and my brother. Some auwfully strong force were driving us together and in spite of our heroic struggle with this force we ended up in a big heap,sliding down the slope. The best thing was i was sliding most of the time on top of him! Never before i was encountering such a great force on the slopes!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I fell just last night - hit a patch of sand at the bottom of a short hill on the Esplanade. I'd seen it in a advance (but there's not a lot you can do on a pair of roller skis when there's no where to go), dropped into a low tele for stability so if I came to a dead stop I wouldn't do a head plant onto the tarmac. I was hoping I would just be able to coast through it, but unfortunately I was lending out my nice slow and stable training skis and was on my fast race skis so lost one out from under me and ended up siting back and hitting the tarmac. Shouldn't have been a problem wasn't a particularly spectacular fall, but I've managed to land on or catch a thumb. So I now have a v. painfull non operative thumb on my left hand, I'm assuming due to a hyper externsion type injury Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On a board, I tend to get about a big crash a day(as well as a couple of mild ones), last one being at the end of a long day in the 3V on a narrow track when I caught an edge and trying to recover I somehow managed to "bounce" and take off from the edge of the track, landing in powder and doing a couple of somersaults before finally coming to stop. Quite scary actually, and as I had no other choice, the climb back up was utterly exhausting.

On skis I very rarely fall. I stay on piste so I'll only fall if some Ice caught me or I didn't pay attention. Again that last happened last year in Courchevel, when I completely misread the layouts of some nets (much closer to each other as I first tought). I had to turn much tightly than anticipated and I was carrying quite a bit of speed and unfortunately, as I tightened the turn more and more, the skis went from undertneath me and I ended somehow sliding underneath the nets. To the amusement of my mates. My aim was good though, I managed to not hit anything! You can see the trail I left in the pic below. Toofy Grin

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anotherproblem wrote:
"dangley bits, why is it everytime I lose a ski it ends up on that angle that it manages to still ski down the hill on its own"
Some kind soul stops my ski and waits for me to walk down or slide on back bottom

Thankfully not very often any more, but the last time I had a proper wipe-out, the "kind soul" was a one-legged skier who must have been P1SS!NG himself inside. rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how often???? everytime i pass someone i want to impress or when i really really dont want to....... damn karma
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara, just as you're going past that hot boarder chick? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't fall much, but when I do it is usually worth the effort. Ideally there will be a ski lift stopped overhead and at least three people with video cameras. Managed a perfect one last year at the end of ski school slalom race. Lift had stopped over the run and most of the mountain video guys were covering the entire run. Unexpectedly clipped a gate with my pole about halfway down. This pulled the pole out of my grip, but was still attached by the strap. Next gate was OK as the pole was on the outside, but as I tipped in for the next gate the pole went between my legs and under the outside ski. After that I was a complete passenger. Flailed wildly towards the next gate, arrived at it with the pole and my left elbow between my knees, one ski on either side of the gate, face perfectly lined up for a thump. I decided the face first into the gate might hurt so I tried to get my body to go in a different direction to my skis. This worked up to the point that my face missed the gate, by my ski didn't. Lost that ski and did a 180, still upright. I tried skiing switch on one ski, but I didn't really like it, so I waited for it to dig in and tried a backflip instead. Got a round of applause from the punters on the lift as I gathered up the trail of ski gear, and then when we got to the pub that night found that I had won crash of the week after the video guys had put it on the big screen in a slow mo, frame by frame loop.

(OK - to be totally honest, without the video, I wouldn't have known what was happening after the pole stuck under my ski - I remember thinking Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!! and seeing various repeating views of mountains, valleys, sky and snow)

I can't wait to try it again Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anotherproblem, or the ski schools top race coach... that was the most recent i think
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thornyhill wrote:
I don't fall much, but when I do it is usually worth the effort. ..... I remember thinking Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!! and seeing various repeating views of mountains, valleys, sky and snow)

I can't wait to try it again Very Happy

I laughed until I cried and then I laughed some more. Did you get a copy of the video?

Answering the original post when I started skiing (Jan last year!) I fell over on the drag lifts, fell over getting up again, fell over making it back down and then proceeded to fall over again. Then I was told to lean forward a little on the lifts and my falling over reached a new level. By this I mean I managed to dismount the lift at the top and then fall over on the piste. After several private lessons I have reached the 'not falling over all day' stage on anything I have so far tried.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndrewBailey wrote:

I laughed until I cried and then I laughed some more. Did you get a copy of the video?

Fortunately they had wiped it by the time her indors tried to get a copy......... I hope
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wipe out as in a big crash? very rarely.

i fall over frequently on some days - depending on what im doing, how much im pushing myself, and how tired i am.

i like to mess about doin stuff like skiing switch, spinning in circles, or getting air off rollers, when i do these sort of things im more likely to fall over

but what i mean by falling over is: say im going fast, when i feel like my balance isnt 100%, il get down low and carve hard to reduce my speed a little - sometimes doing one of these turns il lean too much and end up on my side.

i'd say wiping out is a bit dangerous as you have no idea where you are going or control over whats going to happen - so if it happens a lot perhaps you should push yourself a little less snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tend not to fall too often on piste, but when I do, I try to make the most of it! Seen as our last guide described me as skiing like a Rhino, you can only imagine how impressive my falls are off piste - small bomb craters me thinks! Most damage was last year Val D'Isere, I was skiing on a damaged ankle (due to rugby) and took a very decent tumble off piste, skies got caught, and ankle decided that I was being stupid and should suffer the conseqences. A lot of loud swearing and then the joys of one ski off pisting. Ankle pretty knackered, but I look good with a limp!
ski holidays
Great first post Thornyhill! Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
I tend not to fall too often on piste, but when I do, I try to make the most of it! Seen as our last guide described me as skiing like a Rhino, you can only imagine how impressive my falls are off piste - small bomb craters me thinks! Most damage was last year Val D'Isere, I was skiing on a damaged ankle (due to rugby) and took a very decent tumble off piste, skies got caught, and ankle decided that I was being stupid and should suffer the conseqences. A lot of loud swearing and then the joys of one ski off pisting. Ankle pretty knackered, but I look good with a limp!
snow report
In four weeks last year including a lot of "in bounds" and moguls I didn't wipe-out once. I view this as very negative and know that I'm skiing poorly and without pushing myself. Sad
ski holidays
Fortunately not as often as I used to but when I do the mountain shakes. My reactions to catching an edge are automatic now & I can normally go with it for a moment & then back on intended course. If I catch an edge too freequently I suspect the cant on my boots is wrong (?) & I tend to compensate & put a bit of toe-in on when doing a fast schuss. I could be doing it all wrong as I am overdue for a tune up.
snow report
Depends how hard I'm trying and at either end of that scale.

If I'm not paying much attention I have the occassional daft fall, usually when stopping, often at very low speed, always under a chair lift or in front my ski buddies.

At the other end, when I'm really trying, I feel if I haven't fallen then I'm not really pushing myself but I tend to reign it in on high speed stuff. My most common fall in this category is when trying to ski crappy off-piste so it depends on the conditions.

I'd say I fall about once every two days of skiing overall.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

although I did have a big wipeout at the start of a chairlift in La Rosiere once. No idea what happened - one minute I have the pole between my legs waiting for the pull, next minute I'm in a heap on the floor!

I'm trying to work out if this is a ski lift tumble or an embarassing incident with another foreign national Laughing

The Poma button pole thing, whatever it's called!

Am now a lot more cautious about draglifts - the first thing I check is that my skis are straight!
snow report
Randomsabreur, I've had a couple of incidents with Poma lifts at the fridges which was fairly embarrasing! Tbars are even worse, hate them, hate them, hate them!
snow conditions
Fridge pomas are easy. I went to a fridge about a month ago, and even on the "advanced" poma, there was no feeling of take off. Thought I was going to stack it on my first run as my skis weren't straight as the button started to move, but it was so slow I had plenty of time to re-organise! I think La Rosiere is supposed to be second only to Scotland for the "entertainment" provided by their drags. I would not want to be a male boarder there!
snow report
Randomsabreur, it was more due to me being a bit bored and dicking about, lifting my feet up all the way so I was only ever on one ski, not paying attention, falling over......

The word idiot springs to mind....
snow conditions
OH thought of the idea of going up with his eyes closed. He would have looked a right idiot. TBF slow ones are far more tempting to play on. La Rosiere was more of a get on, hold on for grim death and hope you don't fall off type place!
ski holidays
kristof wrote:
Swirly, numerous ones for me last season but two good ones spring to mind.

1 - Resort Q and jumping off the lip by the restaurant, landed with weight too far forward, cue double eject and face plant.

2 - Getting to the bottom of signal and jumping round to ski switch to see where everyone else is, tails catch, back flip, whiplash and a bent pole that I ended up losing a week or so later!

Not sure whether getting no air and stacking it in the half pipe counts. I'll discount the injury as it wasn't even wiping out!

Haha I remember number 2! I wouldn't know where to start. Had lots of fairly unspectacular ones. If your not falling your not trying hard enough! Most spectacular one was definitely coming out of the Electric couloir at warp speed clipping a rock, loosing a ski, skiing one legged for about 50m before triple somersaulting down the hill. Thank goodness it was powder.

Swirly wrote:
RPF, always nice when a mate obliges to take a photo at the point of fall Laughing

I knocked this up at the end of last season and it probably deserves a repost, in frame 2 I'm most likely thinking why is the board no longer on the ground.

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/me_crash.jpg

That doesn't count you were just trying to cover my camera with snow again! Smile
snow conditions
scottishskier, I'd have loved to have actually seen you lose it coming out that couloir. Your most memorable one I saw was after you hopped that fence: cue double eject face plant onto piste.
ski holidays
scottishskier, was it the electric couloir where you destroyed your goggles?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kristof, no that was the fence hop. I should have added the fence was buried at the time.
snow conditions
Swirly, hehe, it's not really a wipe out unless you destroy a bit of kit then Toofy Grin
latest report
back to the falling-trying-hard-enough-argument.

If I'm skiing without "pushing" anything, I don't fall over. If I'm in conditions that are a little, err, testing, I fall over occasionally.

If I'm not falling over, I'm not "trying" (hard enough).
latest report
under a new name, I totally understand that point but I'm firmly in the camp of not wanting to push myself and not wanting to fall over. I can ski well enough just about to happily cruise about on groomed red and blue pistes all day. That's fine by me. I enjoy it and I rarely get out of my depth. I expect there are plenty of holiday recreational skiers like me that have found their level and are happy to stay there. I rarely fall and therefore my risk of hurting myself is relatively small.
snow conditions
You need to fall over more in order to lose your fear of falling. It doesn't usually hurt.

Only then can you progress out of your fear-induced 'safety bubble'.
ski holidays
in the mountains tired legs lazy falls in bumps or off piste maybe a few time a week, monster crashes a few times a season but seem to fall over more indoors due to not paying attention, went down yesterday doing a demo for clients Embarassed
ski holidays
I remember last year in Avoriaz with my son over the new year.

I saw an instructor leading a group down the piste and he looked really stylish, so I pointed him out to my son as an example, just as he caught an edge and wiped out spectacularly. Twisted Evil
snow report
Why is it so funny to fall while skiing? Even if I hurt myself I can't help but laugh. I think it might be something to do with feeling like a kid again?
latest report
kristof, I have a photo of you bent over, facing uphill, looking for all the world like you're waiting to be bummed by a marmot.
ski holidays
2 big crashes srping to mind from last season.
1. Val disere, meeting friends at bottom. skiing across beginner area knowing i shouldnt be there (yes i admit i was prob showing off in beginner area) catch an edge both skis fly off continue sliding on front and end up in saftey net. have to shamefully walk up slope to collect skis and goggles much to friends amusement.

2. Winter park USA, nice powder day, lots of nice ski runs. apper out of trees not noticing the kicker i was just about to ski over, was looking out for trees not kickers!!!! told afterwards i had actually managed a front flip but unfortunaly had no chance in landing it!!!! Im sure that if i hadnt fallen into powder i would have done some serious damage to myself.
latest report
queen bodecia, sure, no worries, as long as you're having fun, job done. I like improving and pushing myself. A chacun son gout.
latest report
I am usually pushing my envelope so,
I crash probably at least a half dozen times a day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy