Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Panorama mid Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So as per usual I messed up by not booking Fernie for family day and now we have been priced off the hill, out of the town etc.

So we are considering Panorama, so I wondered if anyone had been mid Feb for the holiday weekend and could tell me whether the queues were acceptable or not?

Have done two family weekends:

Lake Louise- dreadful not to be repeated , way to busy
Fernie- just fine

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Panorama several times when it's busy (Ontario schools winter break, President's weekend, during the Nor Am races, and once on what the resort staff said was the busiest day in Panorama's history), and you don't need to worry. The only queues you'll find will be for the Mile One Quad on the weekend, and you'll never queue for more than 5 minutes. The Mile One serves the weakest terrain on the mountain, so you can generally avoid it unless you're doing laps of the Taynton Bowl.

If you move away from the central mountain groomers, the runs will be deserted. If you're on the double diamonds, it won't be uncommon to ski almost top-to-bottom in splendid isolation. There are a few runs on the mountain (eg Black Bear and Ktunaxa) where I've never encountered another skier - ever.

Perhaps more of a concern is that the hill has a few pinch-points - narrow, unavoidable steep pitches that drain several other runs - where the snow can be scraped very thin by nervous skiers side-slipping their way out of trouble. These spots often can't realistically be groomed, so, when the resort's busy, it can be very easy to get equipment damage. The worst offenders are the top of the View of 100 Peaks, Funnel, Draino and the bottom of the Extreme Dream Zone - I think it's called Fat Chance.

I'd also suggest that you check the skiing suits you. Panorama has very few groomers, so if you want to make the most of the place you need to head out into the bowls. Some of these - the Sun Bowl and Founders - are relatively easy, but, if you're scared of bumps, powder and exposed vegetation, you might want to look elsewhere.

Ive said a lot of negatives. But, for me, Panorama is the finest place that I've found anywhere in the world in nearly 20 years of skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones, Thanks for this.

We have been to Panorama before, coming up for two years ago (just after we moved to Calgary) and so we do know some stuff about the resort. We liked it and the snow wasn't good when we were there, so if the snow is the same or better we will be OK. They are offering great deals for this winter (including Alberta's family weekend). Queues of 5 minutes for Mile 1 sound great as it is a very busy weekend.

Doubt we'll be on the double black diamonds as we want to ski all weekend with our kiddies. We like glades and powder. Kids are doing race clubs this season- so I hope by family day they will have improved. Son was doing all the Fernie blacks last Easter and daughter was doing all blues and can do one or two blacks. She is just little (5 this December) and I think her growth over the summer will have improved her skiing no end. Coupled with New Year at Sun Peaks and race club every Sunday at Nakiska I think she will manage to ski blacks by then rather than merely get down them.

Panorama resort direct are offering pay for 3 nights get 5 and throw in 2 adult passes for 3 days and the 7 yr old skis for free as well. Pretty hard to beat for this weekend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy