Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vermont

Poster: A snowHead
I've got the opportunity to spend a year on an international exchange next year. I have of course narrowed down potential destinations to those with nearby ski resorts... The front runners, it would appear, are Utah and Vermont.

Utah is ideal (if a bit wierd), as Salt Lake City has a great selection of great resorts (with great snow) right on the edge of the city.

Vermont seems a little odd. I'd be living in Burlington (a teenie-weenie 'city'), but there seems to be no way of getting the the selection of resorts nearby. It seems a typically pretty New England town and has four or five mid-size hills within an hour, but no public transport whatsoever to get to them on... Confused Any idea if there are easy ways to get to these hills from Burlington? I'll be checking on Epic too, but it's unusual for me to visit there out of season... Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like Vermont because they understand that real beer isn't pale yellow and fizzy and I reckon the Burlington homies would happily stop for a hitchhiker with skis. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Utah vs. Vermont? No contest!

Still, if you don't succeed in getting to Utah and have to deal with Vermont, my suggestion is to buy a second hand car. Use it for a year and sell it again. It won't cost you much. Remember, fuel is much cheaper this side of the pond. Not only will you have wheels to go skiing, you'll find you really need it even for grocery shopping!

You'll see a lot more of the country you're visiting (experiencing?) with your own set of wheels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, I rather like Utah beer. Nice & hoppy, good session beer as it's not so strong.

skisimon, There is no comparison. Vermont is lovely but the skiing is generally on smaller hills and you get "East Coast" conditions - less snow, more ice, warmer, etc.

Utah is amazing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to defend vemont since I grew up there. Vermont is one of the best US States. It is almost like its own separate country. It is beautiful and full of some real friendly folks. Lots of bucolic white washed villages, tucked in rolling green mountains. Burlington always makes lists like "Best US small city" "Best outdoors city" "most liveable places in america". It truly is one of the coolest american towns. It has attracted many, many outsiders who move there and have made it into a thriving city. And has a lot more to offer than a lot of big american cities. It has everything you could want in a city. Tons of bars(which serve real beer , an amazing music scene, a university where students make up almost a quarter of the population and that brings in tons of arts and cultrual events. Salt lake on the other hand has a lot of that too but a shitty bar scene and beer and 75% of the people belong to some strange religous cult which makes for some tough living if you like to have fun.

That being said, Vermont skiiing is really shitty(which is why I don't live there anymore) and Salt lake has some of the best skiing in the world.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, unfortunately I'm a non-driver. Maybe I should sort that out...

I love the look of Vermont, and I've always wanted to go there. It's just transport that's got me thinking...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon, if you're going to be there for a whole year, you can also get that sorted while there. Driving test in the states are relatively easy...

Vermont is as good as it gets in the east coast. Still, if you think skiing in Utah is heaven on earth, wait till you see Utah in the summer!

In my view, it's worth putting up with watery drinks for a year! Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i went to killington last january for 7 days did a tour of canada and north east USA and i cut my stay there short because the skiing was minimal and that is at the largest eastern seaboard resort. never been to utah but that is where i would be heading if i was you, also got the transport option then when you get there. vermont is a stunning place though
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will find it very very hard to live in either place without a car.
Be an adult....learn to drive.

vermont skiing can be great, Burlington is a lovely town.
Utah skiing is consitently great but SLC is not a place to live.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the east I've skied Stowe, Smugglers Notch, Killington and Mt Sunapee. Great snow at all apart from Sunapee (boiler plate re-frozen stuff) and lots of fresh tracks in Stowe.

Went to Utah last January. Great skiing at Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta and Snowbird - but wall to wall sun and no powder whatsoever. Great time but not fantastic when you have been led to believe you'll be experiencing the Greatest Snow on Earth. No mention of "most of the time" or "probably" in the marketing hysteria.......I accept you pay your money and takes your chance with any ski holiday but it was still a bit disappointing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon wrote:

I love the look of Vermont, and I've always wanted to go there. It's just transport that's got me thinking...

If there was public transport everywhere, it would look like New York City.

Definitely get your driving sorted out.

Utahns can say what they want, but Vermont is THE place for tree skiing, for crosscountry skiing, and for ice skating on frozen lakes and ponds.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, no. Utah much better for tree skiing. See here

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, I've a new knee courtesy of a Utah tree well. Don't need to look very far.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much talk about better Vermont beer here, but beware of the drinking rules. When we were there we weren't allowed to buy more than one drink at a time and definitely could not have our next drink until we'd finished the previous one. Made rounds very awkward.

I think it was next door Maine that turfed me out of a restaurant after I'd had two beers saying that I'd had my maximum (very strange).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon do you get any holiday during the year? I'd live in Vermont, ski around there on weekends etc, and spend holiday time in other US resorts. I spent a summer working near Burlington once, was a really nice place to be. You will need a car though, can't get around without one.
snow report
Cymru am Byth, yes and in some Utah mountain restaurants (!) you could only buy a beer for yourself which meant the whole party going to the bar. Dimwits.

And you run into the 3.7% alcohol limit, although no-one stops you accompanying your fine local ale with a whisky chaser. Hmmm, yes, all terribly sensible.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Cymru am Byth, yes and in some Utah mountain restaurants (!) you could only buy a beer for yourself which meant the whole party going to the bar. Dimwits.

I suppose the local population haven't thought about the situation when the WHOLE party need to drink! Wink
ski holidays
abc, are you suggesting that the credulous, blindly foolish, ruling mythologists in Utah aren't dimwits?
snow report
If it were just for a few months I'd say Utah. But for living here for 1 year, hands down go Vermont. Utah is a weird place. For skiing & staying slopeside it's fine. As a yank who's had the opportunity to stay/live there for work I haven't done it. Vermont on the other hand is probably my favorite state. The skiing certainly isn't as good, but it's still ok, and no one in the Burlington area works on powder days! Weekends can get crowded but the slopes are great during the week & the tree skiing is great, esp Stowe, Sugarbush, both close to Burlington. Also you have better access to metro areas when you're not skiing. A few hours drive from Boston, 6-hour or 45min flight to New York. Super laid back people in VT and great beer. And definitely sort out the driving whichever place you choose!
ski holidays
I meant 6 hour drive to New York. Also, if you are going to be without a car, do Burlington definitely. They do have bus transport to the mountains, which you probably won't need because as was said before, Vermonters are really laid back. You'll be able to catch a ride with someone. Vermonters are good like that.
ski holidays
Looks like my decision is being swayed in the direction I was thinking. Thanks all. Keep it coming though. Toofy Grin
under a new name wrote:
abc, are you suggesting that the credulous, blindly foolish, ruling mythologists in Utah aren't dimwits?
Laughing One of the things that was disuading me from Utah was that Saudi Arabia is about as secular... Shocked
latest report
PS. Welcome to snowHeads farlep99.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

If it were up to the "credulous, blindly foolish, ruling mythologists", you wouldn't be able to buy drinks at all, even one at a time!

And I don't mean just alcohol. They don't even believe in drinking tea!!!

But tease as one dare, it's their stuburn religion that got them "cornered" in this godforbiden land call Utah, which happens to be incredibly beautiful and full of fluffy snow!!!

Sometimes one does wonder if they're as dimwitted as we'd like to think. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Delicate_arch_sunset.jpg
snow conditions
thanks for the welcome! I'm a northeast US skier (mainly Vermont), but I'm all about Austria. I take a trip to Zell am See with cousins every year. I usually do one trip in western US as well. I'm thinking of doing a few days in Saalbach this time around
latest report
Utah.

Take the train to other cities, like LA and Chicago, during vacations.
ski holidays
Go to Salt Lake City for powder and prudes. Go to Burlington for crud and coeds. wink
latest report
Downtown Utah is a pretty liberal, fun place, decent bars etc, and the beer is good from local microbreweries. I have friends at Uni Utah who love it. Vermont would certainly be fun, but Utah snow and summer possibilities are truly amazing. Summer in the west is almost as much fun as winter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy