Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Possible Canada Itinerary - Any Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Four of us are off to Canada - flight only to Calgary - for a week in Feb.

Been to Whistler, the Banff areas, Panorama, Nakiska and Kicking Horse and want to ski somewhere new. We'll be hiring a car and are thinking of a mini road trip to include some or all of Castle Mountain, Fernie and Kimberley - plus maybe Whitefish in Montana - as all seem to be within reasonable driving distance of one another. We've already booked a day catskiing near Fernie on the Wednesday of our trip and also plan to do an hour or two at Calgary Olympic Park on the way back to the airport (anything for more time on snow Razz....)

There's loads of stuff on here about Fernie but comments on the other possibilities would be appreciated. Is it straightforward to cross the border into the US? Or might we expect the Spanish Inquisition?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, Not sure about Whitefish, as we didnt cross the border, but We did Castle and Fernie as part of our roadtrip last year. Castles a great little mountain but can get cold and icy. The drive from Fernie ( or to in your case if you are heading to Castle first ) is easy but Crowsnest Pass can shut if conditions are bad, takes about an hour and half. Dont buy fuel in Fernie as its expensive compared to places either side. If going to Castle then Fernie fill up at Crowsnest Smile

We didnt bother stopping at Kimberley after peoples comments on here, but skied Whitewater instead - too far for you though I would think ,otherwise miss it and ski Red Madeye-Smiley

PM me if you need a B+B near Castle, the one we used was really cheap and fab food, easy to get to Castle Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would do Castle and Fernie Or Fernie and Whitefish. I wouldn't bother with Kimberley but maybe I'm being unfair?

Never been to Castle but am told it can get bitterly windy. Will go this season though

Never been to Whitefish, (thinking about it for Easter) and hear its really good. Make sure your hire car is OK for it.

Which week in Feb? Fernoe is looking pretty booked up for weekend of 12-15th, but then most places will be.

Wouldn't sacrifice a days skiing for skiing at COP but if its only half a day - go for it (can see it from our backyard)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did the Whitefish/Fernie trip in Jan 2008. Would highly recommend it. In many ways I preferred Whitefish to Fernie. Reports: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047

No problems with the border crossing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, I would just say that if you have skied Kicking Horse you will bet bored very quickly in Kimberley - Fernie is a great area to ski I prefer it to the over hyped Jackson Hole area. We skied at Big Mountain over in Montana for a day - this was a good are to ski above Whitefish. Only downside was the rather unfriendly U.S. border patrol officials who looked at us as though we were attached to their shoes - but what do you expect in small town America rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stay Pincher Creek first night and ski Castle, drive on to Fernie 2 nights, border and drive down to Whitefish is no problem though watch for deer in road - not very heavily travelled. Couple of days at Whitefish and you can even drive up to Kicking Horse for your last day or back to Fernie etc. The roads from Calgary south through Black Diamond are clear and the Crowsnest is the only significant pass you cross. Don't bother with Kimberley.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to all for the hints, tips and suggestions so far.

Quote:

Which week in Feb? Fernie is looking pretty booked up for weekend of 12-15th, but then most places will be.

UK schools half term - 13th to 20th. Got hotels booked in Claresholm south of Calgary on night one, then Fernie 3 nights. Rest of the week is flexible.

Quote:

Wouldn't sacrifice a days skiing for skiing at Canada Olympic Park

Already been and really enjoyed it - a great little set up! We're calling on the way back to the airport for an afternoon flight home. Our party probably has an untypical approach to skiing. We just love skiing anywhere - big areas, small areas, gondolas, rope tows, plastic slopes, indoor snowslopes.....As long as we're sliding on the side of a hill, bring it on!!

Quote:

I would just say that if you have skied Kicking Horse you will bet bored very quickly in Kimberley

Therein lies a tale with Kicking Horse.....We were there 3 days - with the gondola closed due to a storm for all of them Sad . So only skied the very bottom chairs - and were ready to kill everyone who told us just what we were missing Evil or Very Mad and "You should have been here last week...."
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Revelstoke.

But it's a long way from Calgary (and most other places, for that matter)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy