Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new board time :)

Poster: A snowHead
Insurance came through on my misfit, just ordered a salomon acid
http://www.salomonsnowboard.com/en-eu/products/mens/boards/acid/
w00t w00t.
I officially have a quiver now, (Custom V, Nitro Eero and Acid) never had more than one board at a time. I tested the salvatore sanchez and the rocker on it was insane, jibbing was awesome but speed was not. The acid has the equaliser sidecut which is basically straight sidecuts like this \_/ instead of the normal curved radius and a less insane rocker, this by my reckoning will give some speed back.

Yours truely,

Stoked of switzerland.

Winter is coming, 1st frost at 2000m yesterday snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
funky colours!
have you ever tried a never summer board?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no, I saw them at the test day in Feb, wanted to take the evo slr out but ran out of time after I'd finished spanking it over the burton stand. I see this year they have rocker across the range apart from the gay powder boards. A lot of friends ride NS but they are mostly powder monkies.

I found out that Acid is rated 1 out of 10 for flex, 10 being stiffest Laughing Jib Machine Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hopefully i can try some next year in the states
i tried one of next years boards at hemel and it felt good
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like some mighty groovy graphics there mr Luv Plums - can you get some loon pant shaped trousers and maybe a maroon velvet looking frock coat jacket too?

enjoy. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha, bit of a delay on the order and I saw the light, order cancelled, wtf was I thinking ordering salomon? French ski makers Shocked
Reordered a nitro sub zero
Gullwing rocker, bataleon stylee edges between the bindings, flex rating of a piece of string. Unfortunately the pink one is too short so I have blue. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny luv plums wrote:
bataleon stylee edges between the bindings

is that because your scared of catching your edges wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome boardddd! I just bought my own baby for the season ... a "supermodel" style from http://www.snowboardpricing.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ord=p&nd=9&tz=2&st=supermodel+168&auct=on&lp=&hp=. Let the snow fly!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Supermodel is a great board. What bindings are you getting?

You will love ICS.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny luv plums wrote:
Ha, bit of a delay on the order and I saw the light, order cancelled, wtf was I thinking ordering salomon? French ski makers Shocked
Reordered a nitro sub zero
Gullwing rocker, bataleon stylee edges between the bindings, flex rating of a piece of string. Unfortunately the pink one is too short so I have blue. Cool

Salomon are making wicked boards dude, the sanchez is one of the best jib boards on the market Cool

if there good enough for jed anderson wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cantridepete, I tested the sanchez last feb, it is a jib machine but going fast it was unstable and I felt like I could kill myself on it. As a 2nd board it would be good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go lib tech man, they rock Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[Sits back with popcorn]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny luv plums wrote:
cantridepete, I tested the sanchez last feb, it is a jib machine but going fast it was unstable and I felt like I could kill myself on it. As a 2nd board it would be good.

yeah you might be right, i've only ridden park with one so couldnt really comment on it on the hill....

lib teh.....i'd quite like to try the burtner box scratcher (completely off subject...)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave_wick wrote:
Go lib tech man, they rock Toofy Grin

when travis rice starts riding the board he has his name to then I'll give it a go. If he is on a C2 this year then I will look at libtech. As it is for a company to sell a pro model that the pro admits he doesnt ride then that is fcked.
latest report
They fell apart last year, they can only be ridden slowly and their top rider doesn't use his signature board.

A triumph of marketting over, er, everything.

This year's top Burtons are awesome, K2 have some really amazing boards and Nitro look good too. There's also Yes boards getting good feedback. Lib are right up there with Croc shoes, this year.
snow conditions
its quite good they are having a shite year this year, their attitude when they were hot potatoes was crap.
I've heard good things about Yes as well. K2 in theory are awesome but I have to think about the pictures on the boards, sadly this still sells most boards Sad
snow report
Errm I have a lib TRS btx from 07/08 and it didn't fall apart and its great at speed and a lot of fun to ride - mind you Travis did say he doesn't ride banana for the big balls out stuff (but I ain't anywhere near that league so matters not!) - but he stills rides lib boards exclusively and he is on the C2 this year apparently - and lets face it plenty of pros prefer boards other than the ones they put their names too when the cameras aren't on! it does seem that lib are getting a lot of negative coverage this year though - maybe a bit of a banana backlash! or maybe the quicksilver association? Puzzled
snow report
May be it is the Quicksilver thing. I liked QS umtil they adopted that stupid logo. I guess that's when they went all pretty for a buyout.

Either way Lib are not on my shopping list. It's all marketting over design.

Of you have one and like it, fair play. Enjoy it and ignore the hype.
ski holidays
when I went to the expo thing in april their stand was pretty empty compared to the others, well except for flow, I felt sorry for those guys.
latest report
Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but last year they told us everything we knew about boards was rubbish.

Rocker boards aren't knew and were discarded years ago in favour of positive camber, for good reason. LT just decided there were enough new kids on the mountain that they could wheel it out again and claim it was the best thing since soft boots, with massive hype.

I see the next developments being in composite cores and stronger, lighter materials and only the big boys (Burton, Rossi, Salomon etc) have the R&D budgets to lead that. Waterskis went through this and were revolutionised years ago. Vac packing, lead by F2, revolutionised composites in windsurfing. In both markets smaller firms produced this new shape and that new rail design but it was materials and manufacturing techniques that changed the market. To a certain extent this is happening with carbon stringers and under foot patches over wood cores (Nidecker are masters of this) but once manufacturers start looking at stress modelling and non linear flex characteristics, boards will come of age.
snow conditions
hmm maybe a bit harsh - lib have along history of innovation that has then been adopted by all and sundry in term sof construction techniques, use of materials etc - sure they have a certain marketing angle which you either love or hate but so does every other company so I guess in the end you either like riding a certain board or you don't - but its not true to say that its just about marketing with lib (or any other brand making good boards - which is most of them these days anyway) - I can say for sure that riding a banana lib took my riding to a new level - its rock solid on piste (probably due to the wavy edges) perfectly stable at speed and it certainly helps in pow- but its not a do it all board any more than any other - if you are a balls out speed freak then stick with a nice stiff camber board for sure, if you are a jib kid then a flappy super reverse camber is gonna be a lot of fun - for me a stiffish banana with the magnetraction works for sure - but its all down to personal choice as you say - same as any other what board to buy discussion!!! snowHead
snow report
Jonny luv plums wrote:
I've heard good things about Yes as well. K2 in theory are awesome but I have to think about the pictures on the boards, sadly this still sells most boards Sad

When I was demo'ing at MK a guy I was chatting to demo'd a Yes board but he lasted all of 10mins and took it back. He said it didn't feel right and was too stiff. He went on to ride a Rome Graft and loved the softer flex and ease of use..

K2 grafix this year are top notch for me. It seems makers either go for a design element, art, or graffiti where the design is more understated, art can be too extreme and graffiti style is for the kids in the parks etc. As an old git the design style appeals to me more even though it reaks of corporate influence. The Rook's art style leaves me a bit cold especially the skulls etc.. makes me feel like I'll ride to my death....

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 18-11-09 15:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
No one will tell you they have bought a dud and the thing about boarding is that most of us adapt to whatever we are riding, good, bad or ugly.

I wasn't aware Lib had innovated any materials or construction techniques. If they have (surprised they haven't told us all) then fair play to them.
snow report
bar shaker, I don't know if you look at ski manufacturers its the small companies that are trying the new designs e.g. PM Gear, Whitedot and ON3P. There are lots of similar board companies although mainly in the US and they don't get the exposure over here.
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
The Rook's art style leaves me a bit cold especially the skulls etc.. makes me feel like I'll ride to my death....

then you need the dennis mcnett version Cool
http://www.nitrousa.com/de-US/boards/rook_mcnett
snow report
Quote:

No one will tell you they have bought a dud and the thing about boarding is that most of us adapt to whatever we are riding, good, bad or ugly.

Lol well thats probably true too - and of course beauty is in the eye (and feel) of the beholder too.

For info - Lib were the first company to use deep sidecuts on a snowboard:
Formed in 1977, the two founders, Saari and Mike Olson, were originally skiers until they realized the flotation that a snowboard provided them. Becoming frustrated with a snowboard’s performance on the hard pack, Olson pioneered the first snowboard with deep sidecuts. “We were really the first brand to promote sidecuts way back in ’85,” says Saari. The revolutionary sidecut or parabolic design has likely had the most significant impact on the ski and snowboard industries still to this day.

Also, one of the first to use full-cap construction, one of the first companies to use more eco-friendly manufacturing techniques (still leading the way on that), I think they wetre early innovators in using multiple fibre weaves in laying down boards to give differnt flex charcteristics, as well as the more recent magnetraction and the obviously contentious banana thing!

so pretty innovative over a very long time really - mind you only ever as good as the last board you make - but still I think they are worthy of some respect in the history of board making companies IMO - hope it remains that way.
latest report
lib-banana, do you work for them or are you just a fan? Just curious.

IMO deep sidecut sucks, especially on steep ground I want as much edge contact as possible please.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
May be it is the Quicksilver thing. I liked QS umtil they adopted that stupid logo. I guess that's when they went all pretty for a buyout.

Either way Lib are not on my shopping list. It's all marketting over design.

Of you have one and like it, fair play. Enjoy it and ignore the hype.

I'd say Yes are top of the marketing over design list this year. No one in there right mind would have bought a nidecker board last year, but now they have a few burton cast off riders, a new brand name and a massive marketing budget (with TSA behind them) and everything changes....Doesnt matter what the board is like, there cool now rolling eyes
snow conditions
I nearly bought an Ultralight last year. It was dripping with quality materials, good technology and good craftsmanship. Nidecker are a big waterski maker so understand composites. I also liked their 'function comes first' attitude.
ski holidays
i'd never not buy a brand becouse of there "roots", i'm not trying to imply that nidecker dont make good boards, i've never even tried one so couldnt comment, thats was more my point though, how image and perception can change with correct marketing....
latest report
Swirly, Lol no I don't work for them (I wish!) and I am not claiming that they are perfect as a board company any more than any other but compared to some I think they have an interesting and innovative history and have a long and strong reputation for making good boards - regardless of what you think of banana etc 9or the quiksoilver takeover) - just they seem to be getting panned on the basis of a marketing campaign rather than the boards they make IMO

and when they refer to deep sidecut they mean the normal parabolic sidecut you get on modern boards - early 80s boards had barely any sidecut at all and so were bugs to turn on piste! so thats a pretty fundamental innovation!

anyway I will hold my peace now and say no more about Lib or anyon else - at the end of the day just strap it on, ride it and smile! snowHead
snow report
lib-banana, I bet a lot of others also wish they could work for someone like them snowHead

Quote:

at the end of the day just strap it on, ride it and smile!

Indeed! My new toy just arrived and I can't wait to get on it.
latest report
Swirly,
Quote:

Indeed! My new toy just arrived and I can't wait to get on it.

oh nice - nothing like a shiny new board and that sense of anticpation - what did you go for?
ski holidays
lib-banana, skis and a spanner by the sounds of it.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, I think if we took your three boards and my three boards we'd have both ends of the snowboard spectrum covered pretty well. Just nothing in the middle.
ski holidays
the middle is useless anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy