Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grindelwald lift pass

Poster: A snowHead
OK. So I tried wading thru all 17 pages the Jongfrau post, but got lost around page 10.

Here's what I'm after: I'm staying in Grindelwald this Easter skiing 3 days Fri to Sun (yay!). I bash pistes, and am starting to be happier on easy blacks, but I don't do offpiste (altho starting to think I should, really, just not this year). Which lift pass coverage am I likely to need?

And:

What's the reasonableness of trying to get from Grindelwald to 007 country in Murren? So far by the sounds of it I'll be wasting half a day's skiing just getting there from Grindelwald. Sigh.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Manda, we did three days skiing in Grindelwald 2 weeks ago. We spent ALL our time on the Wengen side of the valley, mainly because our hotel was right outside the train station. We had the Grindelwald/Wengen pass, think it came to about Chf150 for the 3 days, 60odd quid and was well worth it. We are thinking about going back next year to try the other side of the valley, and as Grindelwald was such a nice place.

Best place we found for a beer was the Mescalero in the centre of Grindelwald, we were paying about Chf4.70 for a large beer, and it was open until 1:30am. There is also a club under the Mescalero, and another one under the side of the Sunstar hotel if you are looking for a mad one NehNeh If you're eating out each night, make sure you try Barrys, that was a fantastic restaurant.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, for 3 days go with the Grindelwald / Wengen Pass, for a week it's worth having the whole region as it lets you take the valley connection via Zweilutscinen and if you wish take a trip to Murren or if the weather is horrible, Interlaken.

As a suggestion spend a day at First (to one side of Grindelwald) a day on the Mannlichen (on the other side of Grindelwald) going across to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Wengen before skiing back down the Mannlichen to Grindelwald and the last day, on whichever slope has better snow
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys! I was tempted by the whole-network pass, but as you suggest it's most likely that the Grindelwald/Wengen one will do. Can always upgrade a day if I really feel idiotically athletic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, I will be in the area for 2 days next week, I am happy on Blues but no more that yet at the moment. May I ask how well signposted the Blue runs are at Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg? Also as I am staying Grindlewald and want to maximise the time I spend skiing is there a recommended route that I should consider? Final question, where do I purchase the lift pass in Grindelwald.
Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
micksup, easy question first, the lift pass can be obtained in the railway station in the center of Grindelwald.

The runs are all well sign posted, the pistes have appropriately coloured poles on either side with piste numbers on roughly 1 in 10 poles.

The blue piste on the Mannlichen starts between the top stations of the Cablecar and the Gondola car and traverses across the slope in the direction of the Jungfrau along the summer road, it turns back on itself about half way down the first slope and traverses back to beyond the Mannlichen chairlift which it follows to the bottom of the Mannlichen chairlift, from there down it's a red run to Grindelwald, if however the middlestation of the Gondola is open (see the board at the top of the slope) it is a fairly easy ski to there.

The blue from Kleine Scheidegg to Gindelwald is no.22 going via Brandegg (stop for the apple fritters) and starts from the big piste map at Kleine Scheidegg station, initially you follow the railway line down before droping off the roadway to the left, past the rope tow, keep to the right of the piste and you will eventually after about 9.5 km end up in Grindelwald, you can turn off left at two locations above the Arven chairlift and go back up to Kleine Scheidegg, or you can get the train back up from Brandegg station. If the weather is bad I suggest this run in preference to the Mannlichen as it is more tree lined giving better visibility, alternatively take the blue run down from Wengeneralp to Wengen possibly using the T bar lift at the Bumps to practice.

Have fun wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, many thanks. So as a confident beginner would I better heading to First first?!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micksup, if the weather is good, head up the Mannlichen, there the red and blue runs repeatedly cross each other allowing you to choose red or blue runs at will and swap from one to the other as the mood takes you.

First has many more blue runs but most are served by drag lifts, if they give you no problems then go to First, however stick clear of First in bad weather as there are not many tree lined routes if any to help with visibility.

Can both micksup and Manda, let me know what you think of Grindelwald, places to stay, eat and so on so I can add more details to my next Website, at the moment I have very little information from people who've actually stayed there, photos would also be really good to
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FAO - DG Orf - can you add me to your list - I will be at Hotel Eiger ( one week from 5th March ) and can let you have a detailed report upon return. Anything to look out for in particular?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hibernia, no nothing in particular, I'm looking for good and bad points, places to visit, good shops, nice places to eat, what hotels or chalets are like, service quality in hotels, basically as much detail as possible, especially important is weather or not you'd reccomend accomodation or restaurants to other people. Photos in Grindelwald and especially of the First area would also be very welcome
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DG Orf , stayed in the Bel Air Eden, excellent hotel, possibly the best located in the whole of Grindelwald, literally 30 yards from the ski room to the platform of the station (using short cut round side of pharmacy). Was reasonably priced, large clean rooms, standard buffet breakfast, and the owner Peter was fantastic, only too willing to do anything for you.

Bars and Clubs:

Mescalero (pretty much opposite Eiger hotel), excellent busy bar, seemed to be the "in" place to be. Cheap drinks (4F70 Large Beer, 7F Vodka&Diet Coke/Red Bull), excellent sounds (from local stuff to Simple Minds, Led Zeppelin, Beck etc...). Open until 1:30am.

Mescalero Club, round the other side of the building from the bar. Underground large club, dancefloor, reasonable prices, open until 3am.

Other Club in side of Sunstar hotel, pretty much as Mescalero Club.

Cava Bar in the Hotel Derby, again cheap beer (4f50 Large beer), nice relaxed hotel bar atmosphere, doesn't get too busy.

Barry's, excellent bar, under Hotel Eiger, bit more expensive at around 6F large beer. Live music on a few nights a week, open until 2am.

Restaurants:

Barry's, restaurant under Eiger, fantastic food, very varied menu and very reasonably priced given the quality.

Can't remember name, 1 door from Barry's towards First Gondola, fantastic Fillet Steak.

Hope this is of some help!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charlatanefc, thanks thats just the sort of thing I'm after, now a bit more on some other hotels and places to eat would be great wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As you can probably tell by the fact that we couldn't remember many restaurant names, but could with the bars, more time was spent imbibing alcohol than eating Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, my plan is to do the whole trip on a real budget! Having had one proper ski trip this year I have set myself a budget and will see how I get on! Beer though is one luxury that I will allow!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
micksup
Beer though is one luxury that I will allow!

Sensible fella Very Happy
snow report
Budget is fine, it's weather what you get for your money is good value or not that I'm interested in
snow report
We are going to Grindelwald in mid-March for five days of skiing. Woohoo! We are actually going to be there for a week, but skiing for five days. Ideally we would like to ski on the five best weather days. Is there an option to by a pass for 5 of 7 days instead of having to ski five days consecutively? Some ski resorts like Steamboat have this option and it works out great.

With the Jungfrau pass are all transporation fares included? Are there additional train/bus fares to buy if I purchase the grindelwald/wengen pass? We would like to go sledging/tobogganing. Is that cost included in the Jungfrau sportspass?

We are staying at the Sunstar in Grindelwald. Any opinions of this hotel?

Has anyone had experience with the children’s ski school and/or nursery/childcare? Our daughter is eight years old and in the past she has enjoyed taking lessons for a day or two as well as well as taking a day off from skiing.

I enjoy reading the posts on this board and have lots of useful information for our upcoming trip. It’s wonderful to read about everyone’s experiences and see pictures Happy
latest report
Catt, hi and welcome to Snowheads, now for some answers for you wink

In the Jungfrau Region the ski passes get cheaper for longer periods, thus a 5 day pass costs 253 Chf or just uver 50 Chf per day whilst the 7 day pass costs 318 Chf or just over 45 Chf per day, this is for the whole region ski pass which I would advise you to pick if staying for 7 days, it's only a little more than the Grindelwald-Wengen Pass but it will cover you for the whole area as far as Interlaken Ost, or Murren/Schilthorn (if it's open by then).l

As far as I know all the sledge runs are covered by the ski pass, as is the ski buss in Grindelwald, the bus from Zweilutschinen to central Interlaken all the trains and all the ski lifts, you will just need to rent sledges or buy the cheap ones in the local coop.

The Sunstar should be quite nice, it's one of a chain of Sunstar hotels throughout Switzerland all offering a similar standard.
latest report
D G Orf, thanks for the welcome and for the information. It is much appreciated. This is our first trip to Switzerland and we are looking forward to the adventure. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy